Jessica

Rigging and physical strength

How physically strong do you have to be for rigging?

I was talking to a rigger this weekend about it and he said, "Rigging is hard physical work," then looked me up and down skeptically. Was he calling me a wuss? Should I beat him up?

My real question: If you break a sweat closing the container for a main repack, should you forget about trying to pack reserves? I've seen some pretty tiny riggers, but for all I know they can bench press a cow.
Skydiving is for cool people only

I can't imagine it's much harder than it's been in the past. In the 40's, women were commonly riggers, because men went to the front lines. I was a very active rigger in the late 70's and early 80's, and had no problems. I did have a wind-up tool for pop-tops and flat packs, but so did (and do) most of the guys. Cones and dot snaps are part of my rigging past, too. Ask about them, and watch people wince. I can still close my own reserve with no problem, and no tools but a pull-up cord.
It's mostly a matter of understanding forces and counter-forces, and practice emphatically makes perfect. I'm 5'4", and not particularly muscular or godlike in my strength. Go for it, for pete's sake.
As an aside, if you think you can do something, you almost certainly can. If you're not sure, you probably can. If you want to badly enough, you'll find a way regardless.
Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I found rigging to be hard, physical work... But I felt that endurance was more of an issue than strength. I don't ever remember not having the strength to close a container, but I do remember quite a few evenings when I was way too beat to pack another one.

If you break a sweat closing the container for a main
repack, should you forget about trying to pack reserves?

Nah. As long as you don't mind sweating ;)

. Was he calling me a wuss? Should I beat him up?

If you can beat him up, then your strong enough to be a rigger.;)

Don't worry about it. I've got tired of pulling on my back so hard so now I have a ratchet closing aid that lets me tear a rig apart with two fingers. I wouldn't recommend this particular aid to inexperienced riggers. Without the finesse it's to easy to over do it. One particular aid I've seen demonstrated but haven't used is an adjustable strap with a gateless B-12 snap on it. This is put over the head over one shoulder and hooked to the pull up cord. This way your using your whole back. Many (most?) riggers at least use some kind of handle on the pull up rather than tearing up their hands.

If you want to learn all the tips and get a good idea of rigging, try to get to the PIA International Parachute Syposium in Jacksonville in January.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

>How physically strong do you have to be for rigging?

It's like massage. You can use your thumbs and fingers, and get arthritis in them after a while, or you can use the sides of your hands, forearms and elbows (and your weight) and do massage with much less effort. What gets me the most exhausted when packing is just dealing with the fabric. I think I've collected enough tricks over the years to make the "physically demanding" parts (i.e. closing the reserve) a little easier.

Don't work hard, work smart. Make sure the closing loop is the correct length, this make take some trial and error on some rigs or may mean referring to the manufacturers' instructions. Don't be afraid to adjust them though, even if it means taking a little more time. Speaking of time, get the air out of the canopy. Get a temp pin in and sit on it for a little while.....taking a break. Or, just stack some weight on it. Close a flap or two, then massage it and put the weight on again. Wrap the closing loop around your packing paddle or fid to save on your fingers and hands, it will give you some leverage. Bottom line, work with your head, not your back and arms.
alan

Yes,
My strap and B-12 snap does ease the strain on fingers, but the real secret is knowing when to walk away. When you are down to the last flap or two on al tight reserve, it is going to take another 20 minutes for the air to seap out. You can struggle for 20 minutes, or you can complete the paperwork and come back to a reserve that is easy to finish.
No matter how you slice it, it is going to take 20 mintues to close the last two flaps.

Knees, knees, the secret is in the knees.
The more you use your knees, the longer your arms will last.
The secret is to straighten something out, then clamp it with your knees.
For major pushing, use you knees so your hands are free to steer flaps, temp pins etc.

Call me tall, call me arrogant, but I have always been able to get a knee up on the table to compress pilotchutes, etc. I have probably packed a thousand round PEPs on tables using a combination of hands, knees and hooks.
Ironically, when closing one-pin sport rigs, I have to shift them to a carpeted surface to prevent them from sliding a way from me. Maybe the answer is to drag that square yard of carpet across the loft and lay it on the table.