btvr

Wings container riser tuck tabs

I have read a lot of reviews about how great the Wings container's riser covers stay closed. My brother has a new wings container(very nice rig) but I was constantly tucking the tabs back in for him on just about every jump. Does anyone have an idea as to why this is a problem on his rig? Like I said, I haven't seen any complaints about this on other wings. I'm thinking of replacing my reflex with a new wings.It is a sharp looking rig!

Nope...my riser covers have never come open unintentionally on my Wings. Is he stuffing a reserve in that's larger than it's designed for, or maybe the reserve pack job is a little off. I was using a demo rig for awhile and the riser covers wouldn't stay closed, the rigger adjusted the reserve pack job and that fixed it.

I've seen Vector3s and G3s do this too, it has a lot to do with how tightly the reserve is packed (so I'm told).

Also, I heard about a trick with an iron to form the riser covers after each pack job, I haven't had a chance to ask about this, anyone know about this? Also, is my first comment off base?
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I had the same problem and had to send mine back to have it re-cut to fit properly. It's great now. Wait until the reserve needs to be repacked and ship it to Florida. They'll fix it within a week, send it back, and it'll have a fresh reserve repack and that will pay for the shipping:)
I ordered my second Wings rig TODAY! I vote with my pocketbook. That it wasn't right the first time was a pain. That the customer service is the very best made it worth it.

>My brother has a new wings container(very nice rig) but I was constantly
>tucking the tabs back in for him on just about every jump. Does anyone
>have an idea as to why this is a problem on his rig?

That's a common problem with almost any rig. It is often(but not always) caused by a sloppy reserve packjob. If the rigger packs too much material to the "ears" of the freebag, it causes a bulge, thus making it difficult for the riser flaps to keep closed.

Erno

Never had a problem on my Wings until I installed hard housings on my risers. I have short risers and they sit on the shoulders which causesd my tabs to open.

I just worked them in, packed them neater and have not had a problem since.

Worth a check!

peace

I also have hard riser inserts, and when I do HD jumps both riser covers always pop open I have even had a toggle come out of the brake setting and trail in the wind[:/]. I was told to lay the rig on the MLW to store it and that will form the risers and tuck tabs to stay closed. I did that for 3 weeks and it still comes open. I am going to build a PVC pipe rack to make it more the shape of my shoulders probbaly 8'' pipe. If this does not work I am sending it back to wings for a check up.

yea but you are leaving out how fast you are going (cvfd1399) Anvil man....

ANother thing that might help is to tighten the chest strap. One of my other friends had the same problem with his wings but it was mainly because the shoulder harness kept moving and falling over the shoulder creating a situation that allowed for the tuck tabs to come open in a postition where they are not made for... that might not be the case here but weeding out possibiblites is the only thing you can do..besides sending it back...

One thing I do know is that they will hook you up quickly if something is wrong with the rig... so dont be afraid to send it back if things dont improve...

I have read a lot of reviews about how great the Wings container's riser covers stay closed. My brother has a new wings container(very nice rig) but I was constantly tucking the tabs back in for him on just about every jump. Does anyone have an idea as to why this is a problem on his rig? Like I said, I haven't seen any complaints about this on other wings. I'm thinking of replacing my reflex with a new wings.It is a sharp looking rig!

His reserve is bulked incorrectly. A lot of containers will have this problem if the reserve has not been packed correctly. He needs to get the reserve repacked in accordance with the manual and the problem will go away.

>

That's a common problem with almost any rig. It is often(but not always) caused by a sloppy reserve packjob. If the rigger packs too much material to the "ears" of the freebag, it causes a bulge, thus making it difficult for the riser flaps to keep closed.

Erno

While I can only comment from my experience but I have owned a Talon 2, an Eclipse and an Infinity, I have had hard housings in the risers on all of them and had 5 different riggers pack them and have never had a riser tuck tab come open (other than on openning)
Kirk

Have only seen two wings containers, both owned by another jumper at my DZ. On the first one he bought the reserve flap would be open after every jump where he didn't stay flat. He repacked the reserve three times to fix the problem to no avail. He has no problem with the second container.
I've also noticed that with more than one of the y2k racers on the DZ that riser cover flaps don't fit properly. And are difficult to close and keep closed.