freebird

End Cell Closure

I've never been scared when I open until recently. I have less than 10 jumps on my new Sabre 2 135, and everytime I have endcell closure with a hard dive to the left. It was so bad yesterday that it flung me horizontal and gave me line twists all the way up. I'm seriously reconsidering my canopy choice. Do I really just have to get used to it, or is there something that can be done? I used to jump a Sabre 150. I never had any problems with it.
~Nikki
http://www.facebook.com/poe62

Irgity Dirgity

I have over 1000 jumps on a Sabre 2 190 and the end cell closure occurs about 95% of the time. I'm loading it about 1:1. The response I received from PD was the design change from Sabre 1 causes the closures, especially with a "light" wing load. Still love the canopy.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, Shouting "...holy shit...what a ride!"

I've never been scared when I open until recently. I have less than 10 jumps on my new Sabre 2 135, and everytime I have endcell closure with a hard dive to the left. It was so bad yesterday that it flung me horizontal and gave me line twists all the way up. I'm seriously reconsidering my canopy choice. Do I really just have to get used to it, or is there something that can be done? I used to jump a Sabre 150. I never had any problems with it.

I always have my softest opening when I get one or two end cells closed. It does not happen every time and the canopy flies just great on 7 cells (but i would not land that way)

One thing that reduced the number of end cells being closed for me was changing the way I pack.

I rolled the nose origianally. Even though the packing instructions clearly say to leave the nose alone. Well, I finally tried it (Leaving the nose alone and not even really pushing it back in very far) and the thing opens on heading, soft and with less end cell closers.

Talk to those around you (instructors) and look at your packing. It is a great canopy. Every brand and size has its own personallity.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

... The response I received from PD was the design change from Sabre 1 causes the closures, especially with a "light" wing load. ...

I'm curious: Are those cells cross ported? The PD response leads me to think they're not.

Bob

They are ported. Just a thing about this canopy. Many have commented on this.

I have left mine fly with both end cells closed just to see what happens. The end cells usually come open on thier own. Sometimes I need to apply a littl brake.

Oh, and my canopy is NOT lightly loaded
Abraham Lincoln

ok...so that vid shows something really TAME compared to what mine does! The guy that opened near me said my opening scared the crap out of him, but it's something that happens everytime. I get whipped around like a ragdoll. My rigger is going to take a look at the lines before I jump it again. It's brand new, so it just might be because of that...I don't know. [:/]

~Nikki

Irgity Dirgity

ok...so that vid shows something really TAME compared to what mine does! The guy that opened near me said my opening scared the crap out of him, but it's something that happens everytime. I get whipped around like a ragdoll. My rigger is going to take a look at the lines before I jump it again. It's brand new, so it just might be because of that...I don't know. [:/]

How do you pack it? Specifically the nose.
Abraham Lincoln

Sounds like body position to me. Are you sure you're ready for a 135? If your profile is correct 90 jumps may be a little slim for a high performance canopy like a sabre 2 135 regardless of wing loading. Check with your instructor to be sure you are not dropping a hip when you reach back. What you are describing is what could happen with 135 but not on a more forgiving 150 of the same design if your body position doesn't remain square. You also might have to kind of "fly" the opening. For reasons other than the difference in square footage ANY 135 at ANY wing loading becomes a different animal.
Be safe...check it out.

You need to get with Jeff or Tom (both riggers at SDD) and talk to them. Anything under a 150 is high perfomance reguadless of wing loading. You should not be jumping that canopy. This is why it is so wild, when opening (due to body position or packing) . Please reconsider your canopy.
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

You could ask someone who is an experienced canopy pilot to jump it a few times. Make sure he/she looks at the way it's packed before to make sure it's done properly. He/she should be able to tell you what is wrong (body position, packing, canopy...).
If your rigger or the test jumper thinks something might be wrong with the canopy, just call PD and they will help you out quickly.

Here is also a link to PD FQA section that talks about end cells closure: http://www.performancedesigns.com/faq.asp#4
Laurent - www.RhythmSkydiving.com

Tom is the one that put it together, and he was packing it for me Sunday. He was surprised I didn't chop one of them. Tom said he'd take a look at it this weekend to make sure everything is ok.

I'll see if someone will jump it for me as well.
~Nikki

Irgity Dirgity

I'll see if someone will jump it for me as well.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Just make sure the test jumper has enough experience and knowledge to evaluate the canopy. Ideally, the test jumper is a rigger who has a few hundred jumps on similar canopies.

I talked to Jeff, Tom, Ernie, and Storrie before selecting the size. All said I would be fine on it. Storrie is actually my rigger, but Tom helped him put it together because he wasn't feeling well at the time. My problem is that I could either go with a bigger container which would have fit me VERY poorly because of my size, or go with a smaller canopy. The 135 is really tight in there, so there would be no way a 150 could fit.
~Nikki

Irgity Dirgity

My problem is that I could either go with a bigger container which would have fit me VERY poorly because of my size.

Hmmmm.....not so true. My girlfriend is very small. She is about 110 pounds. She has an Icon container that fits her VERY well. She has a Sabre 2 150 in it with a PD 143 reserve. She just got it all brand new a few months ago and incidently she has over 300 jumps. She is beginning to transition to a 135 now on a second rig but will keep the 150 for a while to come. At our dropzone there would have been no way she would have been allowed to jump a 135 at 90 jumps. I understand you are probably very 'floaty' and it takes quite a while to descend on the 150 but that's just something that a small person such as yourself has to deal with. I think you should be in the 143 class reserve as well. 250 or more jumps would probably be more appropriate to what you are jumping now.
I am not trying to scare you or discredit your advisors however I think you could be putting yourself and others on your jump in serious danger. If you can't open on heading and in control how are you going to avoid other canopies? Also, it probably seems like you can land the canopy just fine on the wide open dropzone up there in Dallas but can you put it in the pea pit every time regardless of the wind? What if you have to land off somewhere in a tight area?
It could be you are just fine with what you have but for the general population I think you have made a very aggressive downsize.
I've been through this myself so I speak from experience. Even at the time I really didn't realize it but now when I look back I thank the people that were looking out for us when we didn't really know what we were doing. (Thanks Diablopilot and Eric Butts)
You could use this as a reference:
http://www.bigairsportz.com/pdf/bas-sizingchart.pdf
Disclaimer: I still don't really know what I'm doing.:P

I have nothing against your selectionj, just my opinion that i have formed from others opinions. I dont have enough exp. in this sport to tell others what is right or wrong, just my opinion.
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!