ShortBus

Line mod on Crossfire

im curious if anyone can give me any type of input on how they're canopy preformed after receiveing the line mod. My friend jumps a 149 crossfire and after he got the line mod he says its been opening hard, i was talking to simon from Icarus and im shortly going to be demo'ing a crossfire 129 with the line mod, hes says that the openings are kind of squirrely since after the mod. Anyone else have bad experinces with the "mod"?
thanks,
dan

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man

Impressions around the DZ were the canopies opened different, flew hard on risers and acted like a totally different canopy then they were before the mod. But this is just from what I've heard around the campfire at night, I've never got to jump a pre mod crossfire.

And any unmodded crossfires should'nt be jumped was my impression.....
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I have two Crossfires, a 189 with the trim modification, and a 180 that is newer and doesn't require it. I bought the 189 used with about 400-jumps on it, and I had it relined right away, which included the trim modification. The original owner said the canopy sniveled too much for him, so he installed a smaller slider on it. Now, with the trim modification, it opens hard if you dump while in a track. If you flare out and wave-off properly, then it opens crisply and on heading.

Yes, there is increased riser pressure on the order of the Spectre for example. But, it is still easy enough to get 90-degree riser turns before the tension increases. I think that many people who watch canopy pilots perform their manuevers don't appreciate how much physical effort is expended to do it.

My newer Crossfire definately reacts faster to all control inputs. You really need to have your muscle inputs react as second nature as there is little time to look, evaluate, and react. I don't jump enough to have this instinctive response, so I often end up sliding if an unexpected crosswind hits me during final approach. Both of my Crossfires have lots of bottom end flare power, but the toggle stroke is long--not like a Stiletto for example. Personally, I like the longer toggle stroke as it makes the canopy movements less twitchy for a moderate pilot like myself. I've stalled my Spectre at altitude and it was bumpy at worst; stalling an elliptical is a frightening experience the first time at altitude. The recovery is typically an off-heading diving turn--not for someone who panics easily!

The Crossfire canopies of all flavors are really fast flyers even on straight approaches. However, I think that they can be safely flown by an intermediate pilot at lighter wing loadings if the basics have been cemented. These canopies dive steeply and you need to apply toggle pressure to recover from the dive as the large recovery arc was designed to let the canopy dive to develop speed. These canopies are very dangerous when flown carelessly near the ground--the acceleration of gravity has new meaning for those "low-turn" folks.

Anyway, back to the openings: I am getting a new larger slider for my 189, which will probably be stock size issue. Simon at Icarus called earlier today to discuss the slider size, but I missed his call, and he said he was leaving the country later in the day--he said Rob could help me out. I think that Icarus has really effective customer support. My 180 has a large stock slider that gives a 800-1000-ft snivel, which is fine with me as I still like to dump out of a track once in awhile.

I am really happy with my Crossfires, but I think that I would stick to buying used canopies until I found the right sized canopy. These 9-cell ellipticals are just too expensive to by new and roll over.

I had a 129 that was on the short list (grounded)... I had the line mod done and when I got it back I did not like it at all. The openings were not hard, just a little more twitchy. My biggest problem with it was the riser pressure... I could do pull-ups on them without causing a turn or dive... In short it no longer had the characteristics I bought it for... I now have a 119 that never required the mod, and it is much better... slightly higher riser pressure than my original one (pre-mod) but still acceptable.

Josh
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

I think you were talking about me short bus: about my 149.. I had the line mod and also my friend blew the tail section out of one of the end cells.. after being fixed I now have to roll the nose on it to get the damn thing to snivel.. also afer a 90 riser turn I can lift myself out of the harness on the opposite riser. I tried the 119 crossfire 2 and it was amazing.. definately my next canopy.. whatever all icarus did to the new crossfire it helped tremedously and is a totally new canopy. I am actually surpized they kept the same name.. (they look much alike, but fly very differently) the 2 is much higher performance. anwyays catch ya at the dz this weekend short bus..
-kevin

yeah kevin you were the guy i was talkin about, simon shipped out the canopy today im guessing so next time im at the dz ill fly it and see if i like it, i jumped the 129 crossfire 2 so i dunno, i might be spoiled already, if i dont like it though i can always send it back so its all good

cool..did you buy the 129?? or jsut demoing it again?? anyways you gonna be there this weekend I missed your 100th but I would like to make up and do some 2 ways.. I also have some pix of you sit flying from the boogie.. laters
k

not this weekend unfortunatley i have school work that i need to make up for the 5 days i missed cause of the boogie, the following weekend though ill be in, yeah buddy...im just gonna demo the canopy and see if i like it, if i do ill buy it