cheese1178

How to get over a bad jump?

Hi All: Thank you all for the wise words, support and motiviation to get back up there. I'm getting back on the horse...err, back on the plane tomorrow and will start off with just a relaxed dive with a solo float exit (no tricks, barrel rolls, etc). I just want to feel the wind and just enjoy the experience. If there is time, I'll attempt E-1 again. Hopefully, my AFF instructor from last week will be working tomorrow and I can get a copy of the video from last week.

Arch, arch, arch :-)

So, I got back in the plane today and did a relaxed solo dive with my AFF instructor. It was great! That was definitely the medicine I needed to calm the nerves from last week's jump. For curious minds, below is the link to last week's failed E-1 level. Definitely learned a lot from that experience.

http://youtu.be/RyPUcHqqa8w

Btw, just wanted to add a disclaimer that I am not promoting that anyone should try to spin out like this on purpose. It totally and utterly sucks. But I am definitely promoting that one should arch during any point of instability :-) For my fellow AFF students, yes, our instructors are right. Arching works :-)

So, I got back in the plane today and did a relaxed solo dive with my AFF instructor. It was great! That was definitely the medicine I needed to calm the nerves from last week's jump. For curious minds, below is the link to last week's failed E-1 level. Definitely learned a lot from that experience.

http://youtu.be/RyPUcHqqa8w

thanks. its scary how quick you went into that spin! did you try to arch right away, or did you lose control for a bit and then started arching?

No prob. Glad I could share the footage. In my head during the moment, I thought I became unstable, did a few spins and arched right away but after watching the video, obviously I didn't as I was spinning for around 30 seconds.

After watching the video footage for the first time, I wanted to crap in my pants and the doubts started to happen (I suck. That could have been ugly. I should have arched way sooner). But I've decided to take the POV that someone mentioned upthread "Thanks for the jump. I learned alot". At least this experience has taught me to recognize what a spin feels like and when it (or any other instability happens), I'll remember to arch ASAP. :-)

Holy crap! After seeing the video I just about shit 'my' pants. But you know what, it changes nothing. You recovered with plenty of altitude, you realized and learned through actual experience the value of arching, and now you have this crazy video to share in years to come. But please, don't do that again! And reread your own last post and think about how important altitude awareness is and how, under stress, how easy it is to lose that awareness.

I'm fortunate that I didn't feel panic in the moment. I think I didn't arch instantaneously as I was thrown off by not doing my barrel roll correctly and not recognizing right away that I was in a spin. Instead of keeping my body loose and relaxed, I ended up tensing (big no no per my instructors), which caused me to spin faster. It took a little more work to get my hips into a strong arch at that speed but (as I was able to stabilize myself) it's doable.

You have just entered the realm of being a skydiver and not a student. You did not perform what you attempted and had it go sideways. you resolved the issue and performed what every AFFI like myself loves to see BACK TO THE BASICS!!!!! Good job. Now it is decision time, are you willing to go there again and put yourself there again pushing your personal flight envelope and learning. FEAR IS YOUR FRIEND, use it to learn. TERROR is the ENEMY. Terror is fear sublimated and you freeze. That is NOT what happened here. Make this most personal decision by yourself. If you choose to continue, give it 100%. Blue Skies

Well, I've never seen a spin that severe - my heart was in my mouth. But nor have I ever seen a recovery like that on a student video. Seriously awesome recovery - although you're probably fed up of hearing that.

Can see your instructor fighting to stay up with you. A body spinning like that seems to create a 'helicopter' effect, which makes it all the harder to get to you.

Anyway, I'd say your barrel roll achieved its purpose, and then some. That's probably the worst freefall trouble you'll ever be in, and although sooner might have been better, once you'd made up your mind you banged right out of it. Good job! B|

I'm fortunate that I didn't feel panic in the moment. I think I didn't arch instantaneously as I was thrown off by not doing my barrel roll correctly and not recognizing right away that I was in a spin. Instead of keeping my body loose and relaxed, I ended up tensing (big no no per my instructors), which caused me to spin faster. It took a little more work to get my hips into a strong arch at that speed but (as I was able to stabilize myself) it's doable.

While staying relaxed is very good advice when in stable freefall, it's not always the right answer.
You went over on your back on exit. A "strong, harder arch" is sometimes best. A more aggressive arch with arms and legs more rigidly in position would have kept you more stable on exit, and would have gotten you out of your spin and belly to earth much faster.
This is the paradox of skydiving. We do something very dangerous, expose ourselves to a totally unnecesary risk, and then spend our time trying to make it safer.