Scoby

Wings Container

Well, I'm at that time in my jumping career where I need to find a pre-second rig. I have been considering used rigs, but I've realized that I can get something cheap and cheerful new for about the same money as a lot of the used rigs advertised, and it would be great to have a perfect-fitting container with the exact colors I want. I'm thinking Wings/Hornet/Tempo. The Hornet seems to be well-liked, so I'm not worried there. Is there any reason why the Wings is so inexpensive? It seems to be about $300 less than a Javelin and much, much cheaper than the premium containers like the Mirage and Voodoo. The reviews in the gear section are generally quite positive. However, I heard someone at the DZ dismiss it as a "budget" container. Any thoughts?

Also, has anyone seen or used their freestyle handle? It is a low-profile pilot chute handle. I'm trying to decide between that and a hackey.

Articulation...is it worth it? Quilted back pad? Cordura or spandex BOC? What options are must have?

I want to get B-12 snaps, large 3-rings...

I have so much to think about. Any input would be useful.

Also, I want to get a 170, but I'd like to be able to go down a size in the same container at some point in the future. Do I just mention this on the order form, or...?

Sorry about the basic questions, but I haven't done this before and it's a big purchase.

I just ordered a Wings container a couple weeks ago, so personally I think they're great. :)
All the ones I've seen are very well built, well worth every penny, the only reason that I've really found so far for the reason they're so inexpensive (relatively speaking) is that they're not a real big name yet. Yes, everyone knows of them, but the big 3 manufactures have a stronger following, so they can charge more.

Articulation? YES
Quilted? Sure, I got it, it's not that much more, so why not. :)
I went Cordura for the BOC, I've seen it and liked how tough it was.
Freestyle handle, less to snag for FF, I like it and I have seen it (on a Wings) and used on (on a Vector3, though). I like it, very nice design, I think it's a worthwhile option.

Hey, when you get down to it, a Corvette is a "budget" sports car when talking to someone who drives Ferrarri's, right?

Personally, I'm spending the extra $$ for a PD reserve, though, at my exit weight (275lbs-ish) I want something that has been proven time and time again to be rock-freak'n-solid, so it's worth the extra pack volume IMHO.

As for the container size for downsizing, drop Heather a line and talk to her about it, she'll tell you exactly what you need to put down for the order. (BTW, she freak'n ROCKS! :)
Also, you may want to drop her a line and ask her for some color samples, since the colors on your 'puter screen won't be quite the same as the real thing, I did that and I'm damn glad I did, the K. Green wasn't near what I thought it was when I finally saw the real thing in my hand, I went with a different green after that.

Good luck!
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Is there any reason why the Wings is so inexpensive?

Because they can? I dunno, just glad there are at least a couple manufacturers trying to keep prices somewhat reasonable. Although, when I started jumping, you could get a top of the line Vector for under $1000...

imho, Wings are nice containers, and the people building them (Sunrise Rigging) are excellent at taking care of their customers.

Articulation...is it worth it?

Yes. Worth every penny in added comfort alone. Not to mention improved resale value later on.

Quilted back pad?

Toss up. Will make the rig a bit more comfortable on your back.

Cordura or spandex BOC?

Toss up. I've had both. I prefer cordura, but for no real reason.

What options are must have?

Kill line collapsible main p/c.

I want to get B-12 snaps

Why? Thread thru are more comfortable, less bulky, less likely to break, and will make it easier to sell the container later on.

I'd like to be able to go down a size in the same container at some point in the future.

Not a problem. Have the container built for the size main you'll be using now; you can easily and safely go down one size in the same container.

Hip rings are worth it - makes it more comfortable and easier to move about IMHO. Why do you want B-12's? I'd stay away from them if I was you.

Well, the rental rig I've used that I liked the most had them. But I see they are not well-liked, so I think I won't get them.

B-12's are good for use on larger or people that can't flex as well. Step throughs involve a lot of bending over to get them on so a lot of larger jumpers that are older or have issues with flexibility go with the B-12's since all they have to do is unsnap them, put the top on then fasten the lowers and tighten them.

Side note... you can have either Articulation or B-12's... not both at the same time,
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

They're great on student rigs, i.e. if a student breaks a leg, we can now get the rig off semi-easily w/o having to pull it over the leg and with out cutting the harness. For sport rigs, I personally don't like them (opinion from a 200 jump wonder) and ordered my container with out them. I have something similar to B-12s (ejectors, scary, very scary) on the leg straps on the rig I'm jumping right now and although they're nice since the rig is small for me and it would be hard for me to put the rig on with out them, if the rig would fit, I wouldn't use them.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

They don't, you have to call and beg, err ahh, ask.

Or, alternately, you can tell your dealer that's what you want and they can call and beg.

Surprised me when they said they could do it; I had a customer with no legs who wanted it that way and they said they could, no problem. B|

>has anyone seen or used their freestyle handle? It is a low-profile pilot chute handle. I'm trying to decide between that and a hackey.

My Wings is a BOC/Hackey, and I have jumped a friend's who had a Pullout/PUD. I like both, but think I would reccomend BOC for pre-second rigs. You can get the BOC with a PUD handle on a Wings. If I could go back that is probably one of the few things I would change about my order

>Articulation...is it worth it?

Get it

>Quilted back pad?

For $30 (IIRC) I'd get it

>Cordura or spandex BOC?

I got Cordura, and I like it.

>What options are must have?

ZP Kill line PC
Also, you might want to consider stainless hardware. I decided against it for my first one, but kind of wish I'd gotten it now

>I want to get B-12 snaps

I don't think you do.

>I have so much to think about. Any input would be useful.

Try to get help taking your measurements

>Also, I want to get a 170, but I'd like to be able to go down a size in the same container at some point in the future. Do I just mention this on the order form, or...?

Make a note of it on the order form. Personally, I didn't, they sent me a W-11 (150 main) for my Tri-150, now I've got a 135 in it that fits well.

--
Hook high, flare on time

My Wings is a BOC/Hackey, and I have jumped a friend's who had a Pullout/PUD. I like both, but think I would reccomend BOC for pre-second rigs. You can get the BOC with a PUD handle on a Wings. If I could go back that is probably one of the few things I would change about my order.

Yeah, it's the freestyle handle/BOC combo I was looking at. From this thred, I've decided:

Articulated harness
Back pad
Freestyle handle
Thread-through leg straps
Collapsible PC
Cordura BOC

So now I just have to think about colors. I'm going to stick with the large 3-rings, even though I'm not going to be using a highly-loaded elliptical. Safer is always better and I prefer how they look anyway. Thanks so much, everyone! This was exactly what I needed.

My friend and I both bought Wings containers from Para-Service and love them. Price was a big attraction as well as quality, and for the price of one of the well knowns, I had a new rig just for me. I have the quilted pack and articulated harness, w/ condura BOC. If anything, I might have changed the reserve to a PD, had i the cash. I got the hornet as well and its a blast.

Hopefully they will stay low priced and maintain the quality, but I fear as their names grow, the price will too.

>Well, I'm at that time in my jumping career where I need to find a pre-second rig. I have >been considering used rigs, but I've realized that I can get something cheap and >cheerful >new for about the same money as a lot of the used rigs advertised, and it >would be great >to have a perfect-fitting container with the exact colors I want.
Hell yeah, if ya got the dough, do it! I did.
>I'm thinking Wings/Hornet/Tempo.
I've heard mixed review's on the hornet. Some people say they love 'em, some say they dont. A friend of mine had a 17o that wacked the living crap outta him on a regular basis. Also, I personally prefer PD reserve. I've jumped a 176, and a 143 and they fly awsome. In fact, I'm loading the 143 a bit over 1.5 (hehehe, Im sure I'll get flamed by the canopy nazi's) and I just had a fricken awsome stand up landing first time jumping it(actually, in the main landing area in rantoul). Uhhh, you're not gonna load your that heavy though...
>Is there any reason why the Wings is so inexpensive? It seems to be about $300 less >than a Javelin and much, much cheaper than the premium containers like the Mirage and >Voodoo. The reviews in the gear section are generally quite positive. However, I heard >someone at the DZ dismiss it as a "budget" container. Any thoughts?
Yeah, I personally think it's some kind of political thing with one of the other companies (my opinion only).
>Also, has anyone seen or used their freestyle handle? It is a low-profile pilot chute >handle. I'm trying to decide between that and a hackey.
I have the pud handle on a BOC throw out. I like it alot, really secure.
>Articulation...is it worth it? Quilted back pad? Cordura or spandex BOC? What options >are must have?
Dude, yes-get the articulation. The one thing that I dont like is that they dont offer chest rings. I had chest rings on my last rig(JAV) and I loved em. Dont get me wrong though-My wings is still waayyy more comfortable. I got the cordura boc and also like it alot. It goes well with the pud handle and vice versa.
>I want to get B-12 snaps, large 3-rings...
Yuk!! B12 snaps!!
I> have so much to think about. Any input would be useful.
>Also, I want to get a 170, but I'd like to be able to go down a size in the same >container at some point in the future. Do I just mention this on the order form, or...?
Usually not a problem to downsize a size or so. I got a w10 (made for 150) and a 135 fits no problem.

[#003366]I love the wings . I looked at alot of other rigs before I got it. It's probably the most secure rig that I've ever seen. Most comfortable too, and it looks cool as F@#K. I got tye dye on mine, so it looks super cool!!!

PS. The customer service is top notch and Heather is awsome.

[/#003366]
Vid
"stons fal, evrysing fals, but doesnt on purpos change its flite pas an positioning..."

Sorry - off the subject a bit -

A friend of mine had a 17o that wacked the living crap outta him on a regular basis

How was he packing it? I found on mine the more I roll the nose, the quicker it opens (tried lots of different ways). [:/]

Rule of thumb with PISA canopies: when buying, get them to put the slider for a size larger on your canopy, it will open much MUCH better.

That's true of a few of the Hornet's out there but I wouldn't recommend it with the Heatwave. My Heatwave snivelled just as much as my Stiletto does and the other 3 Heatwaves at my old DZ were very soft-openers as well according to those that jumped them.

Kris
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

I've had my Wings which I ordered new, for over a year now and love it. It's very comfortable, safe and I got a smokin' deal on it at Para-Service.
Also Wings customer service is outstanding. I had to send mine back for a slight modification and they gave me a free repack and had it back in about a week,

As for the local who called Wings a "budget rig." ... he was probably referring to Dolphin.
In my humble opinion ( FAA Master Rigger who has packed 2,000 reserves, yada, yada) Wings is the best container in its class. At last count there were 8 companies building Wings-like containers (Sun Path, Wings, Altico, Advance, Chute Shop, Ron Dione, Canadian Aerosports and Trident)