annaandbob

PISA Hornet

Have you checked out the Gear section? There are quit a few reviews of the Hornet.

Also try doing a search in the gear forum as there are LOTS of thread about the hornet. I know i have spent hours on end reading this stuff.
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin

I wrote a review comparison between the Hornet and the Sabre 2 a couple months ago, either in here (gear and rigging) or in swooping, I can't remember where. If you do a search, you'll find it. :)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I just started jumping my new Hornet 170 and absolutely love it. It's very crisp in the turns, has light riser pressure, and has excellent flaring power.... it ROCKS!

Now, keep in mind the only thing I really have to compare it to is my old sabre 190 & the few Sabre 170s I demod and it beats them to hell and back... no, these weren't sabre2's (which is what everyone compares the hornet to), but the price is what hooked me... you can't beat a canopy like this for the price. And, speaking of price, you might check out these guys http://www.icarus.co.za/ because I ordered a custom Hornet from them and given the exchange rate between the US and South Africa it only cost me $650 (BRAND NEW CUSTOM)... and I had it in my hands in less than 8 weeks. You won't be disappointed!

Blues!

Merrick

I'm ordering a Hornet for my pre-second main. Obviously, the fact that a new Hornet costs less than a lot of used mains is a big attraction The fact that nearly everyone who has one loves it pretty much seals the deal. Has anyone jumped the Nornet and the Sabre 2/Safire and can make a meaningful comparison? Are they really similar in performance?

I think the Hornet is one of the best canopies on the market. I owned 2 Heatwaves before jumping a Hornet and now prefer the Hornet for over all for performance and comfort and price.
Demo one and you'll buy one!
"Slow down! You are too young
to be moving that fast!"

Old Man Crawfish

I just bought a used hornet 170. I absolutely love the flight characteristics of this canopy. However, I only have 70 jumps so what do I know.;)

I was demoing a Safire 169 and for all intensive purposes I would say they are very comparable canopies. I think the Hornet has less front riser pressure than the safire and a little better glide. (I couldn't believe the spot I got back from this weekend.)

I will say I thought the flare was a little better on the safire but I think that had to do more with a higher wingloading than anything else. (the safire and Hornet, at least to my understanding, are sized differently with the safire probably being closer to a 150/160 than a 170)

Overall I love this canopy!! And how can you beat the price!!B|

J
J
YSD#0009

I'm considering buying me a Hornet too. I've asked aroun a bit and everybody tells me to stay away from PISA stuff. I don't know anyone at my dz who jumps a Hornet.
However, even though I get all these warnings about the Hornet, when I read reviews and postings here everybody loves it.
It seems like PISA offers:
-High quality canopy
-Low price
-Excelent service
I wrote a mail to PISA, and got a reply the same day.
I wrote a mail to PD, and still haven't heard anything. I want to go for a Hornet.
So, everyone who is badmouthing the Hornet and other PISA equipment. Has anyone actually had some bad experice with this gear. Why is it I should stay clear of PISA gear?
Give me a good reason why I should not buy a brand new Hornet over a used Saber with 500 jumps in need for a reline.

The only bad thing I can say about mine is that teh ink on the wraning label is starting to rub off - I mailed PISA and they offered to send me a new one straight away. A lot of people tend to knock PISA becuase they're cheap, therefore not up to "PD" standards. I say try one of the canopies out before you judge :)

[#003366]I mailed PISA and they offered to send me a new one straight away.

Why do I feel that PD wouldn't give this kind of service?[/#003366]

There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Because PD will give probally better.

There is more to a canopy then the upfront cost... such as line changes, repairs, etc. If you rip your Hornet do you know if PISA will repair it or do you have to ship it to some third party rigger? How about line changes? What does a new line set cost and will they install and inspect the canopy or do they only sell the lines and its up to your local rigger to put them on (most my local ones hate doing that). Look at the back end costs in addition to the front end ones.

On the email to PD... most their crew was at WFFC so if you mailed them rght before, during or right after it might have gotten over looked in the shuffle.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I don't think the price is a reflection on the quality of the canopy. I think the labor market in South Africa together with the rand exchange rate is more the reason they are so cheap. Look at the Tempo reserve, they are one of the most popular reserves on the market and if there were any problems we would have heard about them by now......:)

I am very happy with my Hornet 190, and the prices being thrown around on this board are incredible. I bought mine in March, and $910 was the best I could do with much shopping (from Rigs n Things). It appears that in the meantime the exchange rate has improved further, as people are talking about $850 off the shelf elsewhere in the thread.

I'd buy another one.

BMcD...

----------------------------------
www.jumpelvis.com

I'm considering buying me a Hornet too. I've asked aroun a bit and everybody tells me to stay away from PISA stuff. I don't know anyone at my dz who jumps a Hornet.

You don't have to say any more. It is amazing how people know sooooo much about products they have never used!

I warn all of my flying students about pilots like this. Skydivers generally seem to be even worse.

I've got 150 jumps on my Hornet, and still liking it. Several guys from the DZ are picking up canopies while one of them is in South Africa next week.

Well whoever told you that talks nonsense. I bought my Hornet about 3 months ago and since have put about 55 jumps on it. Great Canopy flys great, lands even better. Performance is also good. I jump a 190 at a loading of 1.33 and find it to perform better than a 170 Square canopy.

Blue Skies
Dale

"The probability of survival is equal to the angle of arrival." - safe swoops -

MY DZ

The only bad thing I can say about mine is that teh ink on the wraning label is starting to rub off - I mailed PISA and they offered to send me a new one straight away. A lot of people tend to knock PISA becuase they're cheap, therefore not up to "PD" standards. I say try one of the canopies out before you judge :)

Maybe I should get in the business of reselling PISA canopys for twice the price.. think they'll get more respect then? :D

I love my hornet other than the fact my girlfriend's cat pissed on my rig, so now my rig and part of my hornet smell like cat pee the canopy performs well. I found out however that i have to roll each side of my nose into the center cell to get a nice soft opening rolling the entire nose always wacks me.

Anyone else have this experience?

BTW what is the smallest hornet they make? I jump a 135 and haven't seen anyone else with one that size..