captainquim

Rigging knowledge

I don't know many websites, but the parachute manual Vol I and II are always good sources. They are fairly dense and contain a lot of information, but if you put some time in, you can learn a lot. You could also read through the various owner's manuals, althouigh I find they often don't contain as much information as I would like.

As far as packing reserves goes, probably the best thing to do is find a local rigger and sit in on some reserve repacks with them. I haven't found many written resources on packing reserves. I know Relative Workshop has a video that does a pretty good job of showing how reserves are packed.

As far as BASE goes, I know next to nothing about it. Somone else will have to answer that one.

"Holy s*** that was f***in' cold!"

Most of the local riggers in the area should have one. Local dropzones might also have one available. You can order them from several sources (most notably paragear, www.paragear.com). They are expensive, so try to find one to borrow.

By the way, why the interest in rigging? Are you thinking of becoming a rigger or are you just looking to expand your knowledge?

"Holy s*** that was f***in' cold!"

Disclaimer: Any video is only an instructional aid. To really learn how to pack (for BASE or anything else), you need to find a qualified instructor, and use video or other materials as instructional aids only.

BASE packing videos are sold by the major BASE gear manufacturers.

I've seen the CR, BR and Vertigo videos from about three years ago. I believe that CR and BR have both updated their videos since then.

If you want to purchase a BASE packing video, here are some addresses to try:

Consolidated Rigging
4035 Grass Valley Highway
Auburn, California 95602
530 823-7969
530 823-7971 fax
[email protected]
http://www.crmojo.com

Basic Research
236 East 3rd Street, Unit C
Perris, California 92570
909 940-1324
909 940-1326 fax
[email protected]
http://www.basicresearch.com

Vertigo BASE Outfitters
PO Box 1304
Moab, Utah 84532
435 289-1085
[email protected]
http://www.vertigobase.com/

I believe that CR also offers a BASE packing course (normally a module of their first jump course, but also available separately).

The CR packing method is generally the easiest to learn if you are accustomed to skydiving packing. I personally use the BR method 90% of the time, because I think it gives the most symmetric openings.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

The reason why I wanted to know was that I am unhappy with the amount of knowledge given to student skydivers. I have 150 jumps and still very much consider myself a student. Jumping out of a plane is inherently dangerous, and you are relying on a bit of kit to save you. i am not happy with relying on other people to check my kit - i want to know for myself. also, after the recent discussions about BASE on this site i have visited the CR, BR, Blinc and ABA sites and have found a lot of interesting info on these sites about technical factors - which i am sure would provide some valuable cross-over knowledge for skydiving. i was particularly interested in the rigging and packing information which i have never heard being spoken about on any DZ.

rigging for a base rig is a whole nother animal.....and packing for that matter...I'd hurt myself if I packed a 3 second delay and took it terminal....OUCH...

Amen. If I took my three second pack job to terminal, I wouldn't expect to survive the opening. At three seconds I'm generally slider down, and at terminal with no slider I'd bet on catastrophic failure of my spine, my parachute, or both.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

i didn't really mean in the specific case of fast openings etc - it just appeared to me that BASE participants paid a lot more attention to rigging & packing and seem to have a much more in depth knowledge that skydivers don't seem to be interested in - such as packing for nose first inflations to reduce line overs - virtually all the skydivers i know simply roll it up and jam it in the bag (just an example - i don't even know if you can make any adjustments to packing with skydiving kit as opposed to BASE specific kit that would allow this technique. my point is that factors such as these are considered in BASE). there are lots of other things that i read about, but didn't really understand, so i wanted to find out about them to see if they would be of any benefit to me. i realise that many of the factors that are taken into account in BASE are done so because the BASE environment is more demanding - you are not opening within feet of a big f*cking wall in a skydive (hopefully), but still - the way i see it, the more knowledge the better - when you are lying on the ground with many broken bones and claret all over you, pleading ignorance is not gonna make you better!

The "Parachute Manual" Volumes One and Two was written by Dan Poynter and is found in every reputable parachute loft. Both volumes are available from all the major dealers. If you are serious about earning a rigger's license, then you should also buy Poynter's "Rigger's Study Guide." Mark Schlatter co-authored the most recent edition of RSG.
Another good source of rigging knowledge is the owners' manuals found on many manufacturer's websites.
Finally, the best way to learn is to apprentice under a Master Rigger, then attend one of the short courses (6 - 10 days long) given by Rigger Examiners like Dave DeWolf (Pennsylvania), Barry MacAully (BC, Canada), BPA, APF, etc.

Don't like the thought of looking at it and feeling like I'm looking at an alien.

Funny, Ive been working with a Master Rigger 5 months and I still feel like Im looking at a alien sometimes.

Seriously, spending time in a loft, with a rigger is amazing. Even if you don't want to "be a rigger" the things you learn and see will help a lot. Ask if you can just come hang out and watch. Like was previously said, the Rigger will probably enjoy the company and your interest in the work done.

Beyond specific FAA regulations, rigging (reserve packing) must comply with the manufacturer's specifications. This means there's a set procedure and standards to be followed. Ask your rigger open ended "what if" types of questions. "How do I know (idenify) if my reserve has been tampered with for a total malfunction?"

Ask a rigger you know what happens if you skip a step packing your main. "What happens if I don't set the brakes?" Ask a rigger to explain a service bulletin or their thoughts on an appropriate size reserve for you.

If a rigger isn't busy, the ones I've talked to are more than willing to educate interested jumpers in "knowing more about your gear".

Ken
"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken