TurboChrist

Turning cypres off problem?

Hi All-

I've a 2002 cypres and make a habit of turning it off at the end of the day. Last Saturday I couldn't get the sucker to shut down. I asked someone else to try it in case I was just loosing my touch, but he couldn't do it either. A couple of people said "don't worry, I can't turn mine off either."

Does anyone else know this to be a common occurance of which I should not be concerned, or perhaps you know otherwise?

Thanks,

TC

The considerations on the batteries are true.Anyway when we turn on the cypres it does its setting on the current atmospheric pressure.Then if the wheater changes(rain) and then the sun comes back probably also the air pressure will be changed:in this case it's wise to turn off and on the cypres before jumping again,to let it do new settings on the new air pressure.This is one very important reason to be able to shut off the cypres. I don't know what the problem is with your unit but I would give a call to the factory to know if they can fix it.

I had this same problem. Another jumper had a letter from the factory, it seems its a common problem. The answer is simple, I thought I was doing it right but tried what the letter said and it worked perfect. What did they say?

Most people push the button to hard, and to long. Try just very quickly tapping the button in the center. When the light comes on do the same thing 3 more times. But make sure you don't hold the button down or press hard. I was getting frustrated and pushing hard and holding the button down. My cypress turns off very easy now by following the above directions. Give it a try and see what happens.

The cypres is harder to turn off then on. The time frame for the 2nd, 3rd and 4th press is shorter in the off cycle compared to the on cycle. So to turn it off you have to press the button precisely at the right moment.
I still cant turn mine off but like everyone said it is better for battery power if you let the unit shut down itself.

You should be able to turn it off with the 4 button push, but being faster and more like anticipating the flash before seeing it should do the trick.

I have the habit of turning my off, battery life doesnt concern me, it says that batteries will last for 500 jumps or 2 years and should be replaced after that. What i dont like is having the cypres on when i close the doors on my car. Rapid pressure increase and decrease inside car can fool it that it is somewhere else than in your boot and fire. Never heard of it happening cypres, but to FXC's, but i dont want to be the first ;)
Another reason is cypres shut itself down after 14 hours, no matter what....so if you just do some sunsets as your firsts of the day, your cypres will still be on in the morning after but turn itself off after 14 hours, even if you are on the ride up or in freefall.

pls correct if im wrong;)
cheers
chris

so why is it better for the battery life if it shuts itself off. Does it do something that consumes more battery than would if it just shut itself off.

This is a little bit of a misconception.

Some geeks got togeather and did some tests. They hooked up a voltmeter to a cypres and played with it. They measured the voltage draw during the recalibrations during the day, during altitude changes, during the power down.

If I remember correctly... If you're going to be driving home, you should definately turn it off. As your car goes up and down hills the unit will be measuring altitude, and this is a significant draw.

The battery draw of the unit sitting on the ground is insignificant.

The battery draw of turning the unit off is insiginifant.

The battery draw of turning the unit on, however, is quite large - as the unit goes through the assorted self tests.

The concensus was that if you're driving home, turn it off. If you're done for the day but not driving home, you might as well leave it on, on the slim chance to that you change your mind and make one last jump... maybe a night jump? Not only are will you draw more power by turning it off, then on... but you might forget to turn it on that one time you need it.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

When I first got my rig, the rigger who put it together said the cypres had a problem turning off so he sent it back to the manufacturer. They said it turned off fine. What they said was instead of doing 4 pushes like you do to turn it on, you have to do 3 quick pushes in a row to start the sequence (instead of one push), wait for the light - 2nd push, wait for the light, 3rd push - wait for the light, final push and unit turns off. Works for me!