5.samadhi

what do if pilot becomes unconscious?

I have seen all the AIRPLANE movies and have discussed in great detail to my pilot at my dropzone if he was to eat a bad tuna sandwich that I felt I needed to be properly trained to land the plane.

He still wont let me even steer the damn thing!

Heh, I may have seen a tandem student steer the Cessna once... reaching past the pilot and hand on yoke.

That's if I DID see it, which depends who's asking.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Simple single engine aircraft are not that difficult to fly and land. Short of ground effect that we don't really get with landing a parachute, skydivers are already familiar with many of the concepts.

Yes you could bail but worry about how far the AC will go before it crashes into something (school, hospital, uninhabited soccer field?) Spin the roulette wheel...

I think the majority of skydivers would be successful on getting the AC on the runway. (It may not be pretty and may not fly again). However, calling mayday will get you priority and emergency vehicles. Doing a forced landing in a farmer's field is far less desirable because it could be 1/2h before anyone gets there to help.

If the pilot has had an MI or stroke he/she may not survive anyway. Who cares about the AC, it's the lives of those on board (yours) and the lives of those where it might crash.

-Michael

What would you do on board the plane if the pilot became unconscious and did not respond to attempts to revive? For instance if he/she were having a massive heart attack. Lets say for sake of the situation that nobody knows how to fly a plane on board (that would change the situation entirely if somebody had their PL).

DOOR!

Simple single engine aircraft are not that difficult to fly and land. Short of ground effect that we don't really get with landing a parachute, skydivers are already familiar with many of the concepts.

Yes you could bail but worry about how far the AC will go before it crashes into something (school, hospital, uninhabited soccer field?) Spin the roulette wheel...

I think the majority of skydivers would be successful on getting the AC on the runway. (It may not be pretty and may not fly again). However, calling mayday will get you priority and emergency vehicles. Doing a forced landing in a farmer's field is far less desirable because it could be 1/2h before anyone gets there to help.

If the pilot has had an MI or stroke he/she may not survive anyway. Who cares about the AC, it's the lives of those on board (yours) and the lives of those where it might crash.

-Michael

First priority would be getting enough altitude to get everyone out and on their mains if possible.

Yes single engine aircraft are not real hard to fly if you have the basic concept...landing one fully loaded with restless meat-bombs is another story.

Not advisable.

Picture a fully loaded 182 or 206 with the jumper dumper vapor-locking, strapped in behind the the yoke.
Getting people out is step 1...if one person has the chops to stay behind, put the diver-driver on the deck and try to land ~ then go for it. B|

Or the last man standing could try to AFF the incapacitated pilot after shutting off the fuel and turning off the key...quite a handful at altitude much less down & dirty.

Personally as a self-centered old fart...if I'm by the door it would be MY duty to make room for someone else to play John Wayne. C-YA! >:(:ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I don't have a PPL, but I have enough bootleg time in aircraft over the years (including some landings) that you might even be able to use the airplane for the next load after you get the deadbeat pilot out of the way.[:/]

Although honestly I'd opt for the larger muni 6 miles north of the DZ, since they have a firestation with paramedics right on the airfield, and of course, the runway is wider and longer.

Even the Otter. Damn plane ain't that hard to fly.

NIN
D-19617, AFF-I '19

well I hope you're on board because if just me and Airtwardo are on board looks like we're doing an AFF jump with the pilot :|

I think you misread twardo's post.

Looks like it will be a one sided AFF jump, if yer lucky, he might be around for outside video though. :P
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

well I hope you're on board because if just me and Airtwardo are on board looks like we're doing an AFF jump with the pilot :|

I think you misread twardo's post.

Looks like it will be a one sided AFF jump, if yer lucky, he might be around for outside video though. :P

Yup....I'm going for help! :D

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~