5.samadhi

what do if pilot becomes unconscious?

What would you do on board the plane if the pilot became unconscious and did not respond to attempts to revive? For instance if he/she were having a massive heart attack. Lets say for sake of the situation that nobody knows how to fly a plane on board (that would change the situation entirely if somebody had their PL).

What would you do on board the plane if the pilot became unconscious and did not respond to attempts to revive? For instance if he/she were having a massive heart attack. Lets say for sake of the situation that nobody knows how to fly a plane on board (that would change the situation entirely if somebody had their PL).

Is the pilot wearing an emergency bailout rig? If so, drag him out the door with you and pull his ripcord for him. Screw the airplane.

If you can keep the plane flying level, perhaps you can give him some time and see if he will regain consciousness long enough to land.

If he doesn't have a rig and stays unconscious, he's screwed - bail out and save yourself.

If someone wants to try and land the plane without having any pilot training, let 'em. It's their own life they're gambling with, to try and save another.

Personally...

I would evac the jumpers out of the plane, remove the pilot from the seat and proceed to guide the plane down. Being in close proximity to the airport means that little flying skill is necessary to keep the wings level as you coast the plane down. Throw the headset on and talk to anyone that will listen and may be able to provide assistance/get the emerg vehicles spun up.

A rough landing (albeit somewhat controlled) on or near the airport that poses some risk to yourself, but can potentially save the pilot, aircraft, and any innocent bystanders should the plane fly aimlessly with no one at the controls (if everyone minus the injured pilot bailed out) is a preferable solution to just letting the plane crash wherever it wants (surely killing the pilot if he was not already dead).

Thats my $0.02 in the what-if game (but i also have some experience flying)

Unless you know all of the characteristics of the aircraft you have a pretty good chance of augering yourself and any passengers. Be thankful you learned to skydive and use that equipment for what it was originally designed for...or not. If I'm in the plane with you I'll give you my best Dr. Rumack impersonation and say "good luck, we're all counting on you." as I exit. ;)

Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

I would have others help me get him out of the seat and then fly the airplane, get everyone out and then land it. I'm not a PPL holder but have many, many, many hours right seat & some left seat in most jumpships out there from Totters to 182's.

YMMV
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

Check first to see if the PNF is conscious first. If also not then...if the flightplan is already programmed into the FMS/FMC/CDU just make sure the appropriate annunciator lights are activated at the right times and that the aircraft is in the correct modes. Use autothrottle, fly the flight director or in VNAV/LNAV/etc modes and if aircraft has FBW systems you don't even have to worry about stuff like trimming, turn coordination, etc declare emergency, get clearance for landing and let the aircraft land and flare itself by using the systems by doing a ILS CAT III autoland. At decision height be prepared to do a TOGA if stuff goes south. Just make sure to capture localizer and glideslope prior to that and at 50ft radio altimeter callout bring throttles back to idle, reversers activated to full position once on ground, back to idle at 80knots.

Check first to see if the PNF is conscious first. If also not then...if the flightplan is already programmed into the FMS/FMC/CDU just make sure the appropriate annunciator lights are activated at the right times and that the aircraft is in the correct modes. Use autothrottle, fly the flight director or in VNAV/LNAV/etc modes and if aircraft has FBW systems you don't even have to worry about stuff like trimming, turn coordination, etc declare emergency, get clearance for landing and let the aircraft land and flare itself by using the systems by doing a ILS CAT III autoland. At decision height be prepared to do a TOGA if stuff goes south. Just make sure to capture localizer and glideslope prior to that and at 50ft radio altimeter callout bring throttles back to idle, reversers activated to full position once on ground, back to idle at 80knots.

C'mon now.. did you see that on a video? LOL. jk! :D

I have to admit, I think I would probably make a sorry assed attempt to land it and kill myself and the pilot in the process. Screw the airport though, I wouldn't turn. Just trying and figure out how the flaps work and then gently ease forward on the yoke until I could figure out how to get it back to level from slight decline and then take her down nice and slow until I find a great big field and then put her down and shut the key off, More than likely doing a front flip into the dirt and ending it all for myself.

Edited to add:

On second thought, I would probably be more useful to jump out and run for help...

--------------------------------------------------
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson

All of that on a 182? I think not!

FWIW, I'd probably get the pilot out of the seat, get everyone to bail and try to land the plane... But I do have a few hours.

We have a pretty good size Class D right down the road with a nice long runway, I'm sure the owner of the plane would be happy to get it back in one piece and it might even be worth a few beers afterwords.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Check first to see if the PNF is conscious first. If also not then...if the flightplan is already programmed into the FMS/FMC/CDU just make sure the appropriate annunciator lights are a

A totally joking answer! :)
It is, right? But given that there's another thread where you show enthusiasm for learning skills off the internet and not through formal classes, one starts to wonder...:S

On another note, I'm sure we could fly the plane around 40 minutes until he wakes up....

Yup, because people just 'wake up' from heart attack/strokes.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

What would you do on board the plane if the pilot became unconscious and did not respond to attempts to revive? For instance if he/she were having a massive heart attack.

Didja even bother to read it?

if the flightplan is already programmed into the FMS/FMC/CDU

Not real familiar with jumpships, eh? How exactly do you program a wing-over followed by a 4000 fpm descent from 13k in to a FMS?

Unlike the majority of aircraft out there, paint, panel and interior are very low on the list of 'desireable' features in a jump plane. Jump planes are a different breed and operated in a different manner than most.