Blinky

Packing tips

Dude...
I had a PD 170 for about 130 jumps.... never had a fast / hard opening...
I never rolled the nose... just shoved it into the middle of the canopy - towards the back... I rolled the tail about 4-6 times, quite large rolls... and they all opened soft and sweet... usually 600-700 feet openings

Now I have a ZP155 - i usually roll the nose 2-3 times and roll the tail about 10-12 times, nice and small rolls - and i (usually) get nice, soft openings.

Next time you are packing and you see me at the DZ (and you want my help) just grab me...
-----------------------
Connextion: British 8 Way Team
www.bodyflight.co.uk
-----------------------

I'm jumping a PD190 at the moment and I roll the nose until just before it starts to put a twist into the A lines. Never had what I would call a hard opening like that.
Also if you have one it may be worth using the bungee on the slider.

Nick

Nick
Gravity- It's not just a good idea, it's the LAW!

Anyone got any tips for packing soft openings into a PD 190? How many times should I roll the nose, if at all and should I push it right to the back or keep it in the middle?

B|

when i used to jump my old pd-190, it used to open so freaking fast. not slaming
thouhg. i'm either lucky, or i have high slamming tolerance threshold :)
i loved it :)

stan.

--
it's not about defying gravity; it's how hard you can abuse it. speed skydiving it is ...
Speed Skydiving Forum

i'm accasionaly jumping PD 210, because i don't have my own parachute yet. I Never rolled or pushed the nose anywhere. when it's all packed and before i roll the tail, i put the slider in front of the nose and make sure, that it will grab as much wind as it can. when the tail unrolls - at opening. and then i roll the tail tight about 6 - 8 times.
"George just lucky i guess!"

:ph34r:

I'm still new to the sport w/ 60 jumps and a class B rating. I just got my own container, wings w/ a 230 hornet. All I ever learned was to flat pack. Any ideas on a good instructional to pro pack? My local DZ closed down, so no one to talk to or teach me. I have to make the drive to Eloy now. My old dz was very friendly and helpful w/ packing questions. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Stay safe.

Something you can try is to take the 4 cells on either side of the center cell and roll those towards the center. Roll them tight, then take that and put that in the center cell. Besure to quarter the slider well and roll the tail. That's what I've had to do to a couple canopies that were flat out slammers.

Good Luck!B|
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

The manual that came with your Hornet explains the pro pack. Pack Like a Pro shows someone actually pro packing, but it really did not do much for me. IIRC, it is real cheap, though, and I'm sure you can find a used one to borrow at Eloy.

----------------------------------
www.jumpelvis.com

I found that a standard pro pack does pretty well on a PD 190. One thing I have found lately is that after you stuff the nose in....bring the rest of the material (All the stuff on either side of the nose now) and stuff it in on top of the nose neatly. Making the material that goes around to the front of the pack job neat and kinda tight. I found this makes a HUGE difference in the snivel time of my Stilletto. The PD 190 isn't an overly snivelly canopy and even opens fast compared to most elipticals. I still found it comfortable though and it usually sniveled for 3-4 seconds out of the bag. Once with a DZO pack job it sniveled for 6 seconds. That one caused me some concern.....B|
CAUTION: Do not get carried away with rolling the nose. I damn near cut away my PD 190 after getting quite over zealous with this once. It came out of the bag in such line twists that I was still plumetting towards the earth at a HIGH rate of speed. So...be careful and have an experienced person check it out as you do it.