UliToo

Surrealism

Hi all.....I'm back for more questions, now that I'm committed to going through with this. After 3 tandems I took a break until I was sure I wanted to continue with the sport, then the hemangioma put a damper on things http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4288740;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread Now that I'm cleared to go without having that over my head, I'm ready, excited, and very willing to learn. I just finished AFF level 2 yesterday. Both jumps so far went well, though tumbled out on the second one due to a slight hangup on exit.

Something I haven't seen mentioned before and therefore my question: Has anyone else experienced surrealism during their first jumps? I'm clear-headed enough and able to do all that is necessary, but it seems like it's all not real. To me that is a scary thought while flying thousands of feet up. I would think it's the fear playing with my head and after a couple more jumps I should be clear. I just want some confirmation that this may be normal, as I don't want to give up at this point.

Hi all.....I'm back for more questions, now that I'm committed to going through with this. After 3 tandems I took a break until I was sure I wanted to continue with the sport, then the hemangioma put a damper on things http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4288740;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread Now that I'm cleared to go without having that over my head, I'm ready, excited, and very willing to learn. I just finished AFF level 2 yesterday. Both jumps so far went well, though tumbled out on the second one due to a slight hangup on exit.

Something I haven't seen mentioned before and therefore my question: Has anyone else experienced surrealism during their first jumps? I'm clear-headed enough and able to do all that is necessary, but it seems like it's all not real. To me that is a scary thought while flying thousands of feet up. I would think it's the fear playing with my head and after a couple more jumps I should be clear. I just want some confirmation that this may be normal, as I don't want to give up at this point.

When I did my first tandem and my TI and I jumped out and we did the usual flip and while flipping around in the air and I briefly saw the white airplane above us flying away across the deep blue sky that was a moment of "surreal" serenity for me... like "I know this is happening but I can't believe it is really happening" feeling... I've seen that particular "shot/scene" in a lot of skydiving movies/videos... but it was (for me) surreal to experience it for the first time in real life.

Altitude is a matter of attitude (literally). What kills people in skydiving is not the height (thousands of feet) but the instantaneous g forces on impact with the ground (the descent and fall rate on contact) .... after a certain height it doesn't really matter anymore... falling from 8,000ft is no more or less dangerous than 14,000ft.... (to an extent, of course too much higher and there are other complications too!) One could die from bad footing and falling off a two story building. The point is, it is not the raw nominal height units that matter.

My first jump was very surreal. In fact, those were my first words out of my mouth once I landed (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpkDT8v34eY around 6:20).
You stop breathing for a few minutes and everyone jumps to conclusions.

I would bet it is surreal!
First time I went to a baseball game at the big stadium, I walked in and it was like walking into the television. I mean the baseball players down on the field, the lighting, it all just looked like there was a giant tv in front of me with them on it. Very strange feeling.

And grats on still being able to jump! Glad to hear the hema's not stopping you!

It's not like a 'surreal serenity', like a wow-kinda moment, but rather a feeling that it's not real, like you're watching it happen. Similar to what Shredex described.

Haha, not quite like the cat picture either. :D

Thanks all for your input! I guess I'm the minority. Someone mentioned that it's probably sensory overload. I tend to agree with that. I hope I'll lose that feeling soon, as I get more jumps in.

"Its more Cubism for me." Hope you get over yours as well. :P

Thanks all for your input! I guess I'm the minority. Someone mentioned that it's probably sensory overload. I tend to agree with that. I hope I'll lose that feeling soon, as I get more jumps in.

I still find free fall rather surreal. But it's not the same kind of light-headed surreal I might feel if I were dreaming or waking up being anesthetized. It's more of a "Wow, this is amazing" surreal where I'm tuned into what's going on.
My blog with the skydiving duck cartoons.

Hey surrealism> I am not sure if this counts but I remember on my category B jump looking at my instructors then down at my feet and thinking WHO THE FUCK ELSE IS OUT HERE WITH ME AND NOT REALIZING THEY WERE MY FEET>
ALSO I heard you were having troubles with your exits>> Just keep at it there is no magic to it no simple solution what works one jump might not work the next your tumble might turn into a side step then a back flip exit each time it may be the same or you may develop a different problem then one day you will get it and the next you won't then you will get it again.
Fail the jump or pass the jump> The best part was always jumping out of the plane and You get to do that on every jump no matter how you do.
KEEP WITH IT!

I used to get what I called 'brain explosions'. As my proficiency in FS grew I'd find myself in a formation waiting for someone to dock and all of a sudden "Bam!!" Holy crap!..I'm falling through the sky!
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

Surrealism. Think I experienced similar feeling, especially the first time around when I did a static line course.

My impression is that skydiving has more simplicity to it than what our expectations might be. And it is very real..but does not give too much time to think it over once you are out of that plane. With more jumps the awareness gradually increase.

Other important lessons: DO what instructors say, be critical to your own skills, practice emergency procedures and take care of your gear.

Perhaps tunnel time would reduce some tension in free fall..?

Thanks all for your responses. :)
I have since gotten over the surreal part of it all, and figured out it was caused by extreme anxiety. I'm not an anxious person in my non-skydiving life, but just prior to jumping out, an intense fear overcomes me. I'm getting a handle on it though, and I am now fully aware out there in freefall. And yes, Olmed, it increases with each jump, you're right. Now of course, I struggle with other things. Like exits, yes Amy. :P But knowing I can get stable, they don't scare me.

Made my lvl 1 jump last sunday, making my lvl 2 jump tomorrow. I wouldn't say it was surreal, but I found it very hard to concentrate on my job as a student and keep my excitement level down.

I felt like I was at the door, ready to jump, every time I closed my eyes to drift off to sleep till about 2 days ago. I haven't gone 10 minutes without thinking about jumping again.

It was a really POWERFUL experience to say the least.
I fly and stuff, its fun!