RSL - yes or no?

[replyShit can in deed happen low, but expecting an RSL to help in a canopy wrap or entanglement is inviting the reaper.

Remster is 100% right! No one who does CRW uses RSLs... if they do they are asking for BIG problems.

Canopy wraps and entanglements require seperation when chopping to avoid a re-entanglement when the reserve opens. It's happened before....

Canopy wraps and entanglements require seperation when chopping to avoid a re-entanglement when the reserve opens. It's happened before....

Suppose there is a wrap or entanglement at 400 feet. What are you going do? Cut away and wait a few seconds for separation?

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

Suppose there is a wrap or entanglement at 400 feet. What are you going do? Cut away and wait a few seconds for separation?
- Jim

Have you flown any CRW? Never cut away that low. If possible, pull the reserve and get as much nylon out there as possible.

There might be some S&TA disgreement on this that I'm not aware of, but @ San Marcos and DeLand this is what they tell you.

Nevermind how you got to needing to cut away at 500ft (hey, shit happens)... if you DID have to chop at 500ft, if the rsl could beat your reserve pull by a a second, wouldn't you like to have that second on your side?

Well I was referring to cutting away from a spinning mal -- which under most circumstances, would occur at deployment. Waiting unitl you were down to 500 feet would be, imho, waiting too ong... and yes, I do fly with an RSL...