christoofar

Itty Bitty Packing Seeekwet

A nice packing girl at my local DZ showed me an old track that's probably been known to everyone forever, but hasn't dawned on big dumb guys like myself.

If you have such big hands that you can't get those damn stows through the grommets, use your pullup cord to thread the elastic out through the grommit as if you were pulling your closing loop!

She does it to save time on large canopies and quickly gets the first bite started. I've done it since and it's made my life much more bearable!

Here's another one.
When a broken stow or band is reluctant to come off your d-bag the perfect tool to remove it should be...
1.Sharp enough to get into the knot.
2.Not so sharp that it could damage your d-bag.
3.Always close at hand when you need it.

That perfect tool would be - your closing pin B|

I've seen that, but personally I don't do that. I push the bag over onto the flap until the rubberband hits the grommet without being stretched, then you don't really have to stretch the rubberband to pull it through and get to work. In my experience I've found that the rubberbands last a little longer and it promotes keeping the rubberband from coming into contact with the fabric of the canopy as much as it could if it was stretched across the canopy to the flap/grommet. IMHO every little bit helps in preserving the canopy. :)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

yeah, that's the easiest way to do it, helps keep the canopy squished in the D-bag too.

Dave and Weid are both right on the money. I very rarely brake tube stows and rubber bands because I push the flap all the way to the grommet. If your main looks like a beach ball in the bag, then you need to work on your technique. too wide is better than too tall; it will squash down better in the bag.

Chuck
"been packing for quite a while"