smiksou

aff in poland

hi all. i want to do my aff, i have done a few raps static line jumps and cant seem to get the time or weather to continue this sort of training. so i decided to do aff. my good friend is doing it with me, he is from poland. and we are considering doing it in poland. would qualifying in poland allow me to jump in the uk under a bpa lisence?? please help i dont want to waste my money and come home and not be able to jump. what lisence can i do in poland that would allow me to jump in uk?? or should i just jump in the uk?????thanks in advance/ :)

I would suggest you contact the Polish dropzone, to see what licence they teach, then contact the BPA to see if they endorse it.

I think some licences require a "conversion" jump to ensure that you fully meet the BPA requirements, but I doubt that you would not be able to jump back here at all

Hello!

You should be able to do your AFF in Poland. It's a good choice - the weather is much, much better than in UK!

I am English and jump from time to time at Kruszyn near Wloclawek (http://www.skydive.pl/) - it's a great dropzone with friendly and professional staff, a good crowd of sports jumpers, and all the facilities you need. They use a turbolet which is big and comfortable and have a good range of student gear for hire. Coming from the UK, you have a good choice of low cost airlines. I think Lodz and Bydgoszcz would be closest for Wloclawek if you are going straight there; Warsaw is a bit further but not too bad.

skydive.pl does a first jump course most Fridays. I recently asked the guys there about the possibility of organising a first jump course in English for a friend of mine and they can do that, given a bit of notice. It's a slight complication, but they can arrange for you to finish with a USPA licence which should be fine for the UK. (I don't know if they can do BPA - I expect not, but I suppose it's possible somewhere else in Poland could, but I didn't hear of it.)

One important thing to know is that you will need to complete a Polish medical (which is based on the international CAT3 aviation medical) before you can jump in Poland and that can take the best part of a day by the time it's all said and done.

Contact details for the instructors are on the skydive.pl website (click KONTAKT at the bottom of the page). I would suggest you email Maciej "Mahoo" Machowicz (in Polish or English) and take it from there.

Let me know when you'll be here and we can drink beer. :)

Philip

hi thanks for your replies. I am currently waiting a reply from a couple dropzones in poland to see what lisence they offer. i will also ask about the possibility of obtaining a uspa lisence in poland. i am still slightly confused about one thing. lets say the dropzone can offer the uspa lisence. and i simply do the aff without the consolidation jumps following the aff. This would mean i dont actuly have a lisence and might return to uk and might have to start from aff level 1 again? is this the case? sorry for asking so many questions just want to know the details to make a decsion. as for beer philipturneraa if i make it down tyskie on me. lol :)

This would mean i dont actuly have a lisence and might return to uk and might have to start from aff level 1 again?

Try to bring back video of your AFF jumps, a well filled out logbook, and get at least a couple of consolidation jumps done.

If you do those things (especially the first two!), a BPA Club Chief Instructor will be able to figure out where you fit into the A license process here. The answer will quite possibly be 'exactly where you left off' (years ago, I did exactly this).

Without those, they don't have much to go on.

If you come back with a complete USPA 'A' license, that is probably better, but you may still have some extra requirements (canopy handling in particular) to complete before you qualify for a BPA equivalent.

One good thing to do is to contact a dropzone here that you think you might want to jump at, and ask them what their thoughts are.

Anyway, have fun, be safe, and enjoy the Polish weather! It can't possibly be worse than this summer here...
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

smiksou, does it have to be in Poland or England? If a dropzone has a BPA affiliated instructor, then you should be able to get a BPA A license, but this does require the 8 AFF levels as well as the 10 consols, (and also CH1 as part of the consols) - at a minimum. There are other european dropzones that are BPA affiliated or that have a BPA instructor working at them. It may be worth exploring these options as well.Whatever you decide, be safe and enjoy!