eml

viper question

I have around 700 jumps on a Viper120. About 20-30 of those had line twists. No wild spins but I did chop once from line twists. Opened at 2000', had several line twists that wound up to about 8 twists before I chopped. Never spun me out of control.
Danger

I have about 300 jumps on a Viper 105. It is not prone to line twist but, I have chopped it once - not it's fault, I had a brake line un-stowed and it spun all the way up. It'll dive hard if it is twisted and the risers are not straight.
Throw stable, fly it through the opening, pack consistently and you will not have to worry about it. Overall the Viper is a well mannered canopy.

One of the camera guys at my DZ has one. Last year he was ready to burn it because it kept having SMACKER openings and twisted up on him several times. He cut it away twice. After talking with some people he got a new line set. Ever since he is back to loving the canopy as it has been VERY well behaved. I can only guess that it was out of trim......
"Here I come to save the BOOBIES!"

I have 150 or so jumps on a 135 loaded at around 1.6. Had line twists maybe 3 times, never more than 2 twists, never spun on me. And these were last season before I had it relined. Pretty fast canopy, dives nice, not too twitchy in the harness. I've always thought the Viper makes a nice, first elliptical canopy.
Martin

vipers are not prone to spins.
please check the line trim.
the cobalt which is one of the most stable ellipticals ever is based on the same airfoil and planform as our earlier viper. (the viper was a wonderful canopy which evolved into the alpha which evolved into the cobalt).
manufactured by atair and sold under private labeling via skydepot/winchester and performance variable.
sincerely,
dan
atair
www.extremefly.com

jumped a viper 172 (loaded about 1.3) for about 300 jumps... had line twists a few times... the thing would dive for a second and then level out and wait for me to kick out..... hell of a lot better than the spinning crap under my sabre170
and that was 8" out of trim... have yet to get it back form a reline :)