jumper156

New Zealand Skydiving School

I've noticed a lot of bad talk going around about the new zealand skydiving school in pudding hill.. whatever the talk was i can assure you its not true as i was a student there this year and currently on my work placement. me and the other 8 students on the january course had the best time of our lives and all learnt more than we were expecting, gary (world champion), darren, marika and mason are all excellent instructors who will all with out question go the extra mile to help. if anyone is considering doing the course then all i can say is do it (if doing 3point 8ways with under 130 jumps interests you), you'll love it and you'll get a huge head start in the industry. it was life changing for me.
feel free to message me if you have any questions.
chur

Chur, Hi. My son is exploring the possibility of the school - but as his sponsor (bank) - I want to make sure this is not a waste of money. Where are you doing your placement, what is your placement (manifest / video / packing??) and what exactely do you get for the school -= no of jumps, video, rigging etc?? Also, what assocation are they? (USPA / BPA / NZ???)
Cheers
Ken

Hi Ken,
If hes wanting to get a career in the industry then yes i believe you will get your moneys worth and more!
Im currently doing my work placement at taupo tandem skydiving (one of the best drop zones out there), im currently doing ground camera and driving the bus. a few of my friends have been lucky enough to already have a camera slot! the school provides 170 jumps (coaching from a world champion) and teaches all other fields in the industry.
i recommend you email them or ring them and speak to them directly, they will answer any questions you may have.
PH: (03) 302 9143
Fax: (03) 302 9140
Email: [email protected]
i hope this helps
cheers
nathan
keep on keeping on

im currently doing ground camera and driving the bus.

You don't need a diploma in skydiving to do that. And the same introduction to a job in skydiving can be had by just going to any drop zone, taking the 1st jump class, and continuing in the sport. Hand around long enough, acquire enough skills along the way, and opportunities arise. This New Zealand deal isn't any kind of special fast track program, in my opinion. The same progression can be had at any DZ, through normal jumping.

You don't need a diploma in skydiving to do that. And the same introduction to a job in skydiving can be had by just going to any drop zone, taking the 1st jump class, and continuing in the sport. Hand around long enough, acquire enough skills along the way, and opportunities arise. This New Zealand deal isn't any kind of special fast track program, in my opinion. The same progression can be had at any DZ, through normal jumping.

That maybe true in the US and most of the world, by the NZ market is very different, and you or I don't know much about employment requirement at those dz's.
Remster

That maybe true in the US and most of the world, by the NZ market is very different, and you or I don't know much about employment requirement at those dz's.

rem, do you know enough about the market to make this assertion? I noticed you didn't say 'may' be different. So are the NZ dz's not set up like ours where you can just walk on and make some friends and get a job (at least packing tandem rigs and probably shooting video if you hang around enough weekends)?

This person seems to talk about driving a bus at a NZ DZ as a great find of a job! So maybe it IS different huh?

your quite right, all you need is a drivers license but in my case its my 1st week at the dz/in the real world and in the process of swapping over to a nzpia license. in the mean time while im on my work placement there watching to see if im reliable, hard worker etc and paying me in jumps. if they like what they see which they are they will train me up to be a tandem instructor. all dz are different, some of my friends went straight into camera slots. i chose my dz because of its name and location. as for other options to get into the industry are still very cost effective and a much longer progress, it worked out each solo jump only cost me $37 instead of $45 which is what people off the street would pay and we also got all the other training included by a world champion gary beyer got us doing 3point 8ways.
i understand the states its different but if your a kiwi its by far the best way and if your from over seas, the over seas students were still very impressed on the course.
keep on keeping on

Hand around long enough, acquire enough skills along the way, and opportunities arise.

"Hang around long enough" being the issue? :)
I don't know of many 200-jump skydivers doing tandem ground camera at a busy commercial dropzone in their first year, although I guess it may happen once in a while. FYI, I am commenting on the US market, the NZ market and the European market. It's virtually impossible to even get a packing slot at any of the busy DZs unless you know the right people, never mind being on the payroll.

Additionally, these students have a relatively vast, in-depth knowledge of DZ ops that makes it easy for them to fast-track once they have their foot in the door. They can edit freefall video to a saleable standard, the understand aircraft economics, meterology, DZ marketing, they are experienced manifestors, they can pack whatever you throw at them, they can hot fuel an aircraft, facilitate DZ trauma first aid..pretty much whatever the DZ needs to get done, they can do it. You don't get that just hanging around a DZ, even if you are in with the in-crowd.

I have certainly never come across a situation where a jumper with 200 jumps (or sometimes fewer) would be employed and remunerated (highly) for commercial tandem videography. Again, I include NZ, the US and the rest of the world in that comment. According to Jumper156 that's exactly what a lot of his friends have managed to achieve. They'll be doing +/-500 paid video jumps per season in their first year. Jumper156 will probably be in the same position pretty soon.

I think that's pretty special, to be quite honest.

Hi Ken.
Im another whos on placement now after the course at NZSS. Ive found the level of training and experience I gained at NZSS to be invaluable. And i think if the people who say it is the same level of education you would learn at any dropzone were too see for themselves, they would be eating their words. At NZSS we learnt alot more than what you would pick up just by being around a dropzone, this is what gives us a head start in the industry.
I am on placement now in Australia as a ground crew officer.

the quality has always depended on the senior trainer , his staff.....and the attitude of the candidate . video editing ? a kid with a phone can produce acceptable footage nowdays. im no handycam fan but it has knocked an enormous hole in the outside camera market...buses ,packing and marketing (answering the phone) seem to be the predominant result . best way to get a reliable opinion is talk to the dzs who have taken grads

You may be right, or may be an exception, I don't know, I've not met you, however the 3 people I've worked with who have come through that program have no business in the business of student operations. They are deficient in the areas of canopy skills, safety knowledge, and general situational awareness.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

As mentioned already, I'm sure the individual is a factor. The course modules are very thorough and for many it's a great stepping stone. Life is what you make it :)
http://www.odt.co.nz/news/queenstown-lakes/212685/career-came-out-blue

Career came out of the blue

By Olivia Caldwell on Mon, 11 Jun 2012

In January last year, Matt Schreurs was attempting his second tandem skydive in Queenstown as a customer.

Now, he has joined the NZONE skydive team.

The Invercargill man became a skydive photographer this month after being inspired to join New Zealand Skydiving School in Methven last June.

By January, he was ready to start working as a freefall cameraman with NZONE Skydive in Queenstown, where he made his only two tandem skydive jumps, the first back in 2006.

Mr Schreurs chose to live in Queenstown for the relaxed lifestyle, outdoor sports, nightlife and "the best scenery in New Zealand".

He had been looking for something to get him out of the "nine to five grind" and was considering an overseas trip, but on on a flight from Queenstown to Christchurch, he thought about the rush of jumping out of a plane.

"I couldn't be happier with where I am right now."

The possibilities in skydiving were endless, he said.

"There are a lot of different aspects to skydiving, with freefall, canopy flight, rigging, plus the different disciplines within them."

His job as a freefall photographer involves taking pictures of customers who are tandem skydiving at a speed of 200kmh.

On each job he jumps with two cameras on his helmet, one for video recording and one for taking pictures, and uses a bite switch in his mouth to operate them.

The company is celebrating more than 21 years of skydiving, having taken more than 180,000 customers on jumps.

-----------------

I understand Kiwis and Aussies pay less for the entire course than a retail price for the jumps alone. UK residents can I believe get a government loan to pay for it - including rig, helmet, suit etc. That is a big factor for many people looking to break into the sport.

Are you getting paid real money? Or are they just giving you a free jump now and then like the other guy?

She's on work placement. 94% of graduates get a paid job in skydiving immediately on finishing their course. After 32 weeks and with around 200 jumps, that's not bad.

Are you getting paid real money? Or are they just giving you a free jump now and then like the other guy?

She's on work placement.

What does that mean? Is she getting paid real money? Or are they just giving her a free jump now and then like the other guy?

She's on work placement.

What does that mean? Is she getting paid real money? Or are they just giving her a free jump now and then like the other guy?

A work placement is part of the course structure (work experience) many many training institutions organise them. They are usually unpaid as they are still part of the course structure. Industry training is supposed to be provided.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Sorry for the ambiguity. :)
During the placement students have additional written course components to complete. Also, depending on how many jumps they have and their skill-set at graduation, some students use the free work placement jumps to polish their videography capabilities. Many will start placement having already filmed a few commercial tandem jumps and have the DVD to demonstrate their skills. This means they are well-placed to fast-track to a paid jumping slot on payroll shortly after completion of their work placement.

Coming from the US, I found it a bit hard to get my head round this at first :)

what about the 500 v ideo jump minimum to fly video with tandems?

Oh yeah nobody pays attention to that little pesky manufacturer rule, I guess NZ isnt special in that regard :D

NZ Regs and OZ Regs are significantly different to USPA Regs.
Try not to be overly parochial/

100 jump min (+ CI approval) to jump camera here.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Squeak, it is a manufacturer recommendation, not a USPA recommendation. I don't give a flying fuck what USPA says, but if I was to video tandems I'd want to be in line with the manufacturers, for liability if nothing more.

But again nobody pays attention to those pesky manufacturers :D

She's on work placement.

A work placement is part of the course structure (work experience) many many training institutions organise them. They are usually unpaid as they are still part of the course structure. Industry training is supposed to be provided.

Thanks for that straight answer. When people like that poster play word games like that, instead of just answering a direct question, it makes me real suspicious.

The placement is usually unpaid, as is typical for work placements (internships/ apprenticeships) which form part of a formal course of study.

So if I understand this correctly, the 'student' is basically paying someone so they can 'work' for them...or in some cases the government is paying.

As a business operator wouldn't it be somewhat more beneficial to the bottom line to keep a steady stream of 'interns' paying me for work experience than it would to have actual employees? :ph34r:

Interesting business model.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

its actually not that interesting, its done all over in lots of industries. The difference between the skydiving industry and say the hollywood film industry is that one is easier to get involved with. You need to be able to jump out of a plane and probably say things like "dude yeah that was a sick jump" and "yes I can pack sigmas" and you're pretty much promised work on a DZ.