shah269

Rear riser landings?

Agreed.
If flying a controlable/landable canopy that is likely to stay that way, keep it. Reserves can fail.

But how do you know if its landable?

That's what practice (up high, before you need to know) is about.

I don't agree with all BG preaches, but he is 100% on this one... you should strive to know EVERTHING you canopy can do... if you don't (yet) then you got more learning to do. Never know when you'll need to know how to get just that little bit extra from your canopy.

I agree with keeping up on maintanence, but are you ready when something fails anyway??

JW

PS - landed large/student canopy on rears twice when the steering lines broke... but because it was part of my DZ's taught process for learning new canopies, I already had tried it on prior jumps. Scared, yes, but did what I practiced and it worked great.

PPS - and yes, I have heard of injuries (fatal?) from broken/untied/etc steering toggles down low.

PPPS - what ever happened to "if you can't say something nice, STFU"?? Yes, this newbie should ask his local instructors and take advice here with a large grain of salt. And the newbie that shows up next month may ask the same question again. Please either patiently direct/advise/recommend again, or STFU. rec.skydiving lost all its good/useful purpose when it became a small group of know-it-alls that just wanted to slam everyone else, or rehash all the old arguments with personal insults and snide comments. You may have been here for years (so have I) but there will always be newbies, and they are the future experts, so stop chasing them off. /rant
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

PPPS - what ever happened to "if you can't say something nice, STFU"?? Yes, this newbie should ask his local instructors and take advice here with a large grain of salt. And the newbie that shows up next month may ask the same question again. Please either patiently direct/advise/recommend again, or STFU. rec.skydiving lost all its good/useful purpose when it became a small group of know-it-alls that just wanted to slam everyone else, or rehash all the old arguments with personal insults and snide comments. You may have been here for years (so have I) but there will always be newbies, and they are the future experts, so stop chasing them off. /rant

+1 (Coming from a noobie)

The poster has a solid track record of being a troll.... So while he might not be acting that way right here, right now.... But your track record has a way of following you. So when he acts like a troll 99% of the time and then tries to be serious, well, you can expect that some people are just not going to believe him.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

The poster has a solid track record of being a troll.... So while he might not be acting that way right here, right now.... But your track record has a way of following you. So when he acts like a troll 99% of the time and then tries to be serious, well, you can expect that some people are just not going to believe him.

Understood, and if my Rant was out of line or anyone took offence then... my bad. However as there are other newbie's here as well, and they don't know his track record, I hope that they can see the legtimate question and get a good answer.

Just my $.02 Feel free to PM me with any offline thoughts.
JW
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

Ah yeah it's the bonfire...there i am who i am.
Here in this part I'm a student. I read i learn i ask questions.

You know people can have fun in one part of their lives while being serious in another.

OK that BS aside...let's move on shall we?

So on student lightly loaded wings, will the rears feel heavier than highly loaded wings? And as such are they as effective?

I've had very good luck with my 1:1 extending my glide slope using rears while making it back from a somewhat long spot.
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

Ah yeah it's the bonfire...there i am who i am.
Here in this part I'm a student. I read i learn i ask questions.

When you troll 99% of the time, expect to be treated like a troll all the time. You don't get to act like an ass 99% of the time and then suddenly cry that when YOU want to be serious others don't take you seriously.

You know people can have fun in one part of their lives while being serious in another.

Here is a thought.... Stop acting like a troll and maybe then people will treat you seriously.

OK that BS aside...let's move on shall we?

I have moved on... I have decided that you are not to be taken seriously based on your past performance. Therefore, I am not going to "feed the troll" even when he seems to be genuine.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

OK those panties are in a nice line twist!

OK when working on rear riser controlls is it best to keep the breaks stowed or unstowed?

per your experiences what is safer?

At the moment, after deployment, i ensure all is well and the lower and close the slider. But before any of that i grab the rears just incase i have to turn to avoid anyone.

While flying last time I noticed that it was a little easier to utilize the rears witht he breaks stowed. What is the cause of this? And is it safe to practice utilizing the rears high up with the breaks in the stowed position?

Thank you
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

It is good to know how your canopy responds on rears with brakes (note the spelling) stowed and unstowed. You can practice both up high.

While flying last time I noticed that it was a little easier to utilize the rears witht he breaks stowed. What is the cause of this?

You tell us.

What lines are you pulling on in each case (brakes stowed and unstowed)?
Where do those lines attach?
What is the difference in "control surface" in each case?
Does that explain why one is more responsive than the other?

I am serious - give it a shot at answering those questions.

OK those panties are in a nice line twist!

OK when working on rear riser controlls is it best to keep the breaks stowed or unstowed?

per your experiences what is safer?

At the moment, after deployment, i ensure all is well and the lower and close the slider. But before any of that i grab the rears just incase i have to turn to avoid anyone.

While flying last time I noticed that it was a little easier to utilize the rears witht he breaks stowed. What is the cause of this? And is it safe to practice utilizing the rears high up with the breaks in the stowed position?

Thank you

You have 70 jumps and have been in the sport 3 yrs. Try using your thought process. What is different about your canopy when the brakes are set. Sorry, you don't deserve spoon feeding.

You tell us.

What lines are you pulling on in each case (brakes stowed and unstowed)?
Where do those lines attach?
What is the difference in "control surface" in each case?
Does that explain why one is more responsive than the other?

I am serious - give it a shot at answering those questions.

Well the rears are attached at the same distance as the brakes. So whent hey are half stowed the rears sould be more slack?

Man why didn't I bring my parachute into the office....I'll be honest I'm not 100% sure how far back the D lines and the brakes go and how close they are to each other.

I do understand that the rears effect more surface than the brakes do so that I understand but when i get home tonight I'll have to check my lines.

I have decided that you are not to be taken seriously based on your past performance.

Play the message, not the messenger.
Simple concept.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

>OK when working on rear riser controlls is it best to keep the breaks stowed or unstowed?

The only reason I can imagine that you might want to try landing with brakes stowed is if you can't release either brake. Other than that, it's worthwhile to know how to steer using rear risers with brakes stowed for collision avoidance after opening.

>While flying last time I noticed that it was a little easier to utilize the rears witht he
>breaks stowed.

Right. Brakes pull on risers when stowed and you are fighting that.

Other than that, it's worthwhile to know how to steer using rear risers with brakes stowed for collision avoidance after opening.

I'm sure you have, I know I have had to do that more than a couple of times over the years. Especially on organized dives that turned into a zoo at boogies.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

work/rain/sick and reading and learning from the other threads.