HALOjmpr

Not current...what to do.

I have a couple hundred jumps and I haven't jumped in probably 6-7 years. I went through the AFF course and I have my own gear. I was wondering if I just needed to do a couple jumps with an instructor or do I have to go thru jump school all over again??

Can you go back to the original DZ you jumped at or where you did your AFF? If you're a known quantity then it might just be a checkout jump. If it's a brand new DZ then who knows?

Is there a wind tunnel near you? That'd get you back some of the feel of freefall.

There's a lot of other stuff that you might be rusty on too, e.g. packing so it'd be worth going through those things again with someone.

Welcome back :)

Unfortunately...the DZ that I went through AFF at (Freefalling Unlimited in AR) has closed. The DZ i was last jumping at was West Tennessee Skydiving so I may just need to give them a buzz and see. Thought maybe someone would know off hand what the requirements were.

The requirements (really recommendations) for currency leave a lot open to interpretation. It is not really a question of what is the minimum requirement but a question of what you need to return to jumping safety.

You do not have all that many jumps and 6-7 years out is a long time. I'd expect to sit through an entire first jump course again and make a a couple of jumps with supervision (or even if they let you off supervision after one rock-solid jump, consider paying for a couple of coached jumps, it is a good investment for you).
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

Varies by DZ - ask around.

However, I'd try to be objective and decide what you consider to be the best retrain for you. (rather than just pick the DZ that's asking for the least effort).

Once you go back to the retrain think about this: retrains are tricky, some people just pick it back up, others (funny....it seems like those that act like they still know it all) can be worse than rookies. No matter what you are being asked to do, it's great to bring up your experience once at the beginning, and then spend the rest of the time listening to the instructors and taking the drills and training seriously. They won't forget you jumped before. But your performance in the preps will mean more to them than those few jumps you made 6 years ago.

and you just don't know which student you'll be until you hit the air again, no matter how good or bad you were before

edit: I did a retrain about 10 years after almost a 5 year layoff, been there on both sides - as the guy teaching and the guy retraining - FWIW

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

You can find the general recommendations at USPA.org. (You can also get it as an app on your smartphone). Look at the SIM (button top right of the page), and go to section 5-2. Depending on the license you hold, the minimum you must do is make one jump under the supervision of a USPA instructor.

At most dz's, they would have you talk to an instructor. The instructor would spend some time with you, and then decide what would be best depending on your recall and performance.

Options would be:

Briefing w/ a jump: typically only former instructors, coaches, pros in the sport get this. There seems to be a correlation between those who achieve hyper currency combined with teaching that improves retention (imagine that).

Extended briefing and a jump: This costs money. You made the instructor work, so you gotta pay. Instructor decides whether one or two instructor jump.

AFF First jump course: Again, something you'll pay for. Instructor decided the amount of work you needed would be better suited to a FJC environment. You may have to do either a two or one instructor course, depending on your performance.

I've had people do a FJC, clear them, but recommend some coaching to get their skill level up fast. All the ones that did a coach jump or two were back up to speed and having fun much faster. Much has changed in the past 6-7 years (though the basics are the same).

My advice: Download and read the SIM, at least the student parts (section 4), with special focus on emergency procedures (section 5) and Canopy fundamentals (Section 6-10 and 6-11).

If it's financially feasible, do 15 minutes in the tunnel. Check out Skyventure.com. Pick the best one for you, all will have a program you can fit in and benefit from.

Call your local DZ, even those where you might have to drive a bit. Tell them your story, and pick the one that fits you.

Each DZ is different, and the way they interpret/adhere to the SIM is different. What each DZ charges is different. Whether you can jump your own gear is up to the dz, to some extent. It's probably better to do a jump or 10 on a larger canopy, though, depending on your gear. There's a chance your gear isn't really ideal anymore, and may need maintenance or to be retired (especially if it's the equipment you are jumping in your profile pic).

In short, call your local dropzone and ask! All we can do is paint wide generalizations for you.

And finally, don't forget to show up with a case of beer.

To HALOjmpr: Did you really make HALO jumps or is that just your name?

To Everyone who responded: Thanks for your responses. I am a non-current A lic holder. I made my last jump in 2011 but I think all of you reccomendations would be good for anyone who has gone non-current.

While I agree with everything said, there is a small amount of "just like riding a bike" involved. Once you get your knees in the breeze it will sort of all come back and you will question why you took so long of a break. Ive been there (though not as long as you). Welcome back!

While I agree with everything said, there is a small amount of "just like riding a bike" involved.

not for everybody, I've retrained both (though 'most' do tend to just take it back pretty quickly). The ones with the "hey, I already know it all attitude" actually tended to be the most of a PAIN to train and the sloppiest in the air. how about that? :P

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Hey sir,
I JUST came back from a 7 year+ break. I called a couple places and what they said would be needed depended heavily on dzs.

In the end, I needed to do an emergency procedures review and a checkout jump and then was good to go. I read a bunch of the SIM and had someone babystep me through all the gear and packing stuff for my own benefit too - 7 years is a long time man!

I'd echo the part about riding a bike to an extent though. The flying came back pretty quickly, though I am still very new to the sport.

Welcome back :)

Just taught a retrain yesterday. It's really not a big deal, the jumper did fine and we found out what he remembered and what he forgot. It definitely was needed, but it was low key and didn't take all day at all.