skydive4play

Soft Link Covers

> What would be the reason for having such covers?
Some people want to use Type 17 risers and soft links, but do not want the slider to come down past the links (it can dislocate a toogle or land on your face, which already killed one skydiver, when he could not cutaway due to that. He was a cameraman of the X-Games champion Valeri Rozov).

I used to use the soft silicone "bumpers" that you pull over the mini french links. Now that I use "SLinks," which are made by PD, there is no need for the bumper. The slider goes over or above the SLinks and will not get damaged.
So, are you looking for Silicone Bumpers??
:::OK, Canopy is Open, No Traffic Around, .. Why are these "Extra" Lines Draping Down??, Damn!

> I am not familiar with this... More info please! I use soft links
> BECAUSE I can easily get my slider down behind me!
Couple of years ago, Valery Rosov's (ESPN skysurfing champion) cameraman died in a slider related accident. From what I heard, he had Type 17 risers and probably no slider bumpers. He had a FAST opening, slider came down with a LOT of speed, past his links, toggles, and landed on his face distracting him (and possibly entangling with his helmet). He could not get rid of that slider on his face. The canopy was in turn (the toggle must have been dislodged), and he hit the ground turning some 25 seconds later.
That is why I want a slider *not to be able* to come down past my links.

PD had made mention of making Slider Stops for SLinks, but has not released any offical info about them.
Ditto on wanting the stops - I have no need for pulling the slider down the risers and would like something keeping the slider from snapping down and popping a toggle - had one openning on a Sabre-2 170 where the slider had snapped down with enough force to almost clear the bottom of the toggles. Not my idea of a good time.

Reinforcing tape running from the rear riser to front on each side at the attachment points. CReW dogs use them to hook their feet in after a dock to keep from pulling the slider up. I have used pull up cords for this with a simple square not or you could have a rigger bartack a couple loops on each end for you and thread them through your soft links. Make sure they are long enough to allow the rear risers to expand to the fronts the full length of the slider. It may affect canopy performance otherwise...
-Jon