kmcguffee

Hook Knife Location

I want to attach (sewing, velcro, etc) my hook knife to my container in some fashion because I always forget to put it on my chest strap. I would like some opinions on where to attach it and how to attach it to my container. I have a pouch that is designed to have a strap threaded through it. The hookknife is attached to the pouch by a snap.
I would also like to hear recommendations on where it is easiest to locate when needed. My feelings are that it is probably better to have it around the waist area because it is easier to see and easier to remove from the pouch (assuming you don't wear the pouch upside down). It would also tend to be in the same place whether you are under an open main, reserve, or hanging upside down from the step of a Cessna.
Thanks for your feedback in advance.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Over the years I have published articles on hook knives in Canpara, Parachutist and Skydiving magazines.
Experts agree that the best place to wear a hook knife is on your chest. Your simplest solution is to ask your local rigger to hand stitch your hook knife sheath to your chest strap so you don't forget it.
A better solution is to slip your knife up inside the 3-ring cover/mudflap. Many manufacturers install Velcro on the flap for that reason. To retrofit a knife, it is easier to set a snap into a mudflap.

>A better solution is to slip your knife up inside the 3-ring cover/mudflap. Many
>manufacturers install Velcro on the flap for that reason.
If you decide to get a hook knife retrofitted this way, make sure the knife is attached the right way, that is, the blade "pointing outwards". In short, it shouldn't be possible for you to cut your chest-strap while pulling out the knife. This is a possibility if the knife is attached the wrong way.
Erno

I had a horseshoe mal 4 years ago and had a hook knife on my chest strap. I was being whipped around like a frog in a blender and it was impossible to locate the knife. I vote for locating the knife on the front of the leg strap. I only can use a smaller knife, but it's much easier to locate.
Skydiving is not a static excercise with discrete predictability...

I'm an old fart that wears a chest mount altimeter. (Whenever I wear my Alt. III I forget to look at it!) I've tacked my Jack, in a pouch I built, upside down on the back of my altimeter pillow. When I put on my altimeter I've put on my hook knife. For a knife this size I think this location works best. It's on your sternum which doesn't bend either, its accessible with either hand, and it helps hold my altimeter in place. Have it tacked to your chest strap. I know several people who never take it off their chest strap. If it's a smaller knife, mud flaps work (get something besides the $3.00 orange POS) but tough to get to with the off hand. Front of leg straps is becoming more common but not reasonable for Jack. I think chest strap is still the best for the bigger knives.

Most of the people I regularly jump with wear atleast 2 hook knives (most of the people I regularly jump with play with CReW also...), one high and one low. You never know if you won't be able to reach one or the other, or if one will fall out or something crazy like that.
Aerials
So up high
When you free your lives (the) eternal prize

I'd agree with two knives - I've got one (small) under the mud flap and one (large) in a pocket which I got put on the leg of my jump suit. It's got a pop fastener but I lost two knives when the pop got 'un-popped' on exits and then the knife was free to fall out. Better to get a velcro flap over the top of the pocket.