freeflir29

Rigs+Saltwater?

Well...I didn't land in the water or anything but I did land on the beach. Plenty of fine sand all in my rig. I did my best to shake out as much sand as possible but I was more worried about the salt. Is there anything in particular I should do to my rig after a beach jump. I did jump it several times after the beach jump so short of popping the reserve and rinsing it in water is there anything else I should do to it?
"Here I come to save the BOOBIES!"

Vacuum sand or salt out of your rig before it starts to rust hardware. Any household vacuum cleaner will remove sand or salt as long as the rig stayed dry.
There is also a risk of all those sharp little crystals grinding away at the nylon, but that is more of a long term problem.
Back in the 1980s, Para-Flite had a problem with shrinking leading edge tapes on military canopies that had deliberately been landed in salt water. Para-Flite's short term solution was switching to a different brand of tape. The SEALs' long term solution is to have two sets of gear parachutes. One set of parachutes for landing on land and a second set for landing in water.
Also remember, that if you accidentally dunk your Cypres, it has to be overhauled.

I'd be more worried about the obvious possibility of drowning...

Uuummmm...I can swim....Plus I had a life vest in a pouch around my waist. I wouldn't even carry that if I wasn't worried about my gear sinking. Just like any other jump....check the spot, know your canopy, and you won't get wet. :)"Here I come to save the BOOBIES!"

beach jump are fun, like demo's and night jumps there can be increased risk. Here in florida we have miles and miles of beach, just all on a heading of 00-180 I've only seen one water landing. That was because he was showing off and the wave god reached up and smote him :)