nigel99

elderly skydivers

Before age 40, Transport Canada requires commercial pilots to pass a medical exam every year.
After age 40, they need a medical every 6 months.

I wonder at what age a physician has to continuously stand next to the pilot? :P

How old are you?

subtract 2 from that

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Just to clarify the BPA situation a bit more ...

Every jumper must have a valid 'Declaration of Fitness to Parachute' certificate. Up to the age of 40 you can self-decalre your fitness, (provided you meet the baic criteria) and you need to re-do this declaration every 10 years.

From 40 onwards, or if you don't meet the basic fitness criteria, you need the okay from a doctor. This can be for upto 10 years until age 50, then for upto 3 years.

The BPA Operations Manual also states:
"No person under the age of 16 years, or aged 55 years or over, will be permitted to
carry out initial ‘solo’ parachute training. Exceptions to the higher age limit may be
permitted if the person has previous recorded parachute experience (not to include
Student Tandem Parachutist descents). Higher age limits for Student Tandem
Parachutists may be acceptable (see BPA Form 115 – Student Tandem Parachutist
Declaration of Fitness to Parachute/Doctor’s certificate)."

There have been odd cases where people aged over 55 have been granted an exemption to this rule by the Safety & Training Committee, but I don't recall very many.

Of course, there's nothing to stop someone going abroad and getting the necessary firts jump training, then coming back to the UK and jumping, provided their doctor will stamp their medical decalaration.

Every jumper must have a valid 'Declaration of Fitness to Parachute' certificate. Up to the age of 40 you can self-decalre your fitness, (provided you meet the baic criteria) and you need to re-do this declaration every 10 years.

From 40 onwards, or if you don't meet the basic fitness criteria, you need the okay from a doctor. This can be for upto 10 years until age 50, then for upto 3 years.

"No person under the age of 16 years, or aged 55 years or over, will be permitted to
carry out initial ‘solo’ parachute training. Exceptions to the higher age limit may be
permitted if the person has previous recorded parachute experience (not to include

There have been odd cases where people aged over 55 have been granted an exemption to this rule by the Safety & Training Committee, but I don't recall very many.

Of course, there's nothing to stop someone going abroad and getting the necessary firts jump training, then coming back to the UK and jumping, provided their doctor will stamp their medical decalaration.

It's well known that the Brits are against all forms of aviation.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Sums up the BPA perfectly. Always finding reasons why things can't be done.

Can't tell the difference between training and actually jumping. The negative "you can't do that" attitude that they take to everything, rather than the "You can do that, here's how".

That negative attitude infects nearly every aspect of British life.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

Sums up the BPA perfectly. Always finding reasons why things can't be done.

Must be why they call it the "Ban Parachuting Association".

I have jumped with Tom Morrison from Pennsylvania on a SOS big way record attempt in Florida in 2005. Tom was then 80 year old and doing well. I am mylself a SOS with 40 years of continuous membership in skydiving.
Unfortunately, we are not all equal concerning our personal shape and health. A good idea is to be followed by a doctor you trust and see him/her at least once a year.
Recently I was asked to do a parachute demo over my former school in Ontario ( I have been there a physics teacher for more than 30 years). I got all the papers and NOTAM to do so and I and a friend of mine did the demo at the spectator satisfaction. A lot of people were surprised to see a seemingly old man still jumping...and with a KatanaB|B|.

Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

I have jumped with Tom Morrison from Pennsylvania on a SOS big way record attempt in Florida in 2005. Tom was then 80 year old and doing well. I am mylself a SOS with 40 years of continuous membership in skydiving.
Unfortunately, we are not all equal concerning our personal shape and health. A good idea is to be followed by a doctor you trust and see him/her at least once a year.
Recently I was asked to do a parachute demo over my former school in Ontario ( I have been there a physics teacher for more than 30 years). I got all the papers and NOTAM to do so and I and a friend of mine did the demo at the spectator satisfaction. A lot of people were surprised to see a seemingly old man still jumping...and with a KatanaB|B|.

Very cool.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Recently I was asked to do a parachute demo over my former school in Ontario ( I have been there a physics teacher for more than 30 years). A lot of people were surprised to see a seemingly old man still jumping...and with a KatanaB|B|.

Very cool indeed. And as a physics professor, what a lot of great lesson tie-ins to our sport. Too many kids think science is boring. Hell, it's the $#it, Bay-Bee! B|

I'd like to know if there is any EVIDENCE that self certifying as we do in the USA leads to any more medically related skydiving incidents than the stiflingly strict medical requirements in the UK.

We already know that self certifying for the sport pilot license has not produced any more aviation incidents than requiring a Class 3 medical for a private pilot license in the USA.

This elderly jumper just filmed 18 tandems over the weekend packing my own rig (Katana @1:1.75).

Yeah Baby!

I would have chimed in sooner but I've been busy doing out door stuff.

Sandy, you are such a geezer!

Good news (for pilots) is that the FAA is seriously considering going to self certification rather than a Class 3 medical for private pilots in non-complex airplanes. Apparently they have NO EVIDENCE WHATSOEVER that the Class 3 medical requirement has any beneficial effect.

This elderly jumper just filmed 18 tandems over the weekend packing my own rig (Katana @1:1.75).

Yeah Baby!

I would have chimed in sooner but I've been busy doing out door stuff.

Filming Tandem landings from the ground while drinking beer and packing a Katana does not count! ;)

NPSL this weekend.... we miss your ugly mug. :)
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

I started with a thorough medical inspection by an aviation physician because of my asthma...

Great idea to see an aviation physician. Different doctors tend to look for different things. Always best to go to someone who is familiar with the demands of your work.

Being a TI I have to undergo a medical check every three years...

Every 3 years? What happened to at least annual check ups? Everyone should do that as a minimum... regardless of being in the sport. Nothing wrong with going more frequently than that.

Every 3 years? What happened to at least annual check ups? Everyone should do that as a minimum... regardless of being in the sport. Nothing wrong with going more frequently than that.

Annual? The MD gives me a vigorous cardiovascular workout several times a week.

(Did I mention that my girlfrend is an MD?):)

John....how many times a week? :o

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

In my precedent post on this thread I have mentioned that we are not all equal concerning health. I am in the sport for 40 years and I am 67 year old and still able to fly in an acceptable manner. Just to encourage you, here is the picture of the 102 way new Canadian record which was performed on Friday July 13, 2012 at Nouvel Air DZ, Farnham Quebec Canada. I am in royal blue jumpsuit in the six way base at 9h:15 (see included picture). But if you prefer to see the record video have a look at : http://youtu.be/FvURXQ43788 At the video beginning I am just in front of the cameraman breathing oxygen at 18000 ft. This video is quite impressive for it shows from an interesting angle how the record formation was built.
Moreover, I am not an exception, if you look on the picture at about 9 O'clock on the second last helix in white jumpsuit, there is a lady friend of mine few months older than me. In last April she was part of the POPS new record, a completed 60 way in California. She also has been on the 182 way Jump for the Cause in California few years ago.
Don't forget, see a doctor regularly.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

lmao