nigel99

elderly skydivers

Thoughts on how old is too old and if we should have age restrictions to starting?

Absolutely not!!! We cannot arbitrarily set an age at which someone is not allowed to skydive - just as our government can't arbitrarily set an age at which someone is no longer allowed to drive.

We allow deaf people, blind people, diabetics, epileptics, amputees and paraplegics to learn to skydive without restrictions. They are advised of the additional risks they are putting themselves under and they make their own adult decision to go ahead and jump. No difference between any of them and a 65 year old woman with osteoporosis or a 70 year old man with undiagnosed heart disease.

As long as someone is not putting anyone else at risk by jumping, who are we to say they can't put themselves at additional risk?

Besides all that, who is going to give this approval? If we are going to require that anyone over a particular age get this approval, we need to require that EVERY jumper be similarly approved.

If I have a heart attack in free fall and land under my AAD deployed reserve, that's okay by me. I was gonna pop that ticker anyway. Just make sure there's at least one keg at the funeral, but two would be better. B|

I couldn't agree more. I'd rather die on a woman or under an AAD-deployed canopy. B|
But why a keg at the funeral? I'd order a couple of crates - if ya have a beer, then right from the bottle, no glasses, no hassle B|:)
The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

But why a keg at the funeral? I'd order a couple of crates - if ya have a beer, then right from the bottle, no glasses, no hassle B|:)

:D Well . . . I was hoping there'd be some of those big busted Oktoberfest gals making the rounds with the big mugs for all my friends. . .:)

After reading this thread I am going to start lying about my age. So on June 1st I was 50--again.
"Here's a good specimen of my own wisdom. Something is so, except when it isn't so."

Charles Fort, commenting on the many contradictions of astronomy

If I have a heart attack in free fall and land under my AAD deployed reserve, that's okay by me.

I've told everyone if I die skydiving, take my rig, my jumpsuit, helmet, altimeter and goggles and push me off to the side of the road and let the state take care of it. They remove dead dogs, don't they?
:D:D
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I like the BPA rules that were posted. I know the owner of our local dz told my wife he turns away people over a certain age as he isn't prepared to have the additional liability/hassle.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Rich

The main point of my post originally was what extra precautions should jumpers over a certain age take?

I have no problem with a 100 year old jumping if they are fit to do so. Personally I have no desire to die of a preventable heart attack, simply through ignorance or laziness.

But as with driving there becomes a point where your motor skills simply make you a risk to others. My dad was a good driver, now he scares the crap out of me. Unfortunately it is part of life. At some point I think our abilities degrade to the point that we should stop. The BPA medical seems to cover it. There is no upper age, just a set of capabilities.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

At 40 you need a doctor's signoff but it can be for up to 10 years. From 50 a doctor can sign you off for up to 3 years.

Holy Moly, they require that at 40? I feel really old now! B|:|
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

"

If I have a heart attack in free fall and land under my AAD deployed reserve, that's okay by me. I was gonna pop that ticker anyway. Just make sure there's at least one keg at the funeral, but two would be better. B|

"

John,
You inconsiderate bastard!
The last time someone brought a keg to a funeral ...
... I woke up with a fat chick!
... The shock!
... The horror!
... The embarrassment!
... GASP!
... HAH!
... HAH!

At 40 you need a doctor's sign-off but it can be for up to 10 years. From 50 a doctor can sign you off for up to 3 years.

Holy Moly, they require that at 40? I feel really old now! B|:|

Before age 40, Transport Canada requires commercial pilots to pass a medical exam every year.
After age 40, they need a medical every 6 months.

American rules are similar.

John,
... The shock!
... The horror!
... The embarrassment!
... GASP!
... HAH!
... HAH!

Ahhh, yes Life is for the Living. B|

Glad to see you got past the mourning period so well.:P

After reading this thread I am going to start lying about my age. So on June 1st I was 50--again.

That stirs up memories of my mother's 39th birthday. We must have celebrated that birthday 5 or 6 times!
Hah!
Hah!

John,
... The shock!
... The horror!
... The embarrassment!
... GASP!
... HAH!
... HAH!

And when you woke up she was asleep but your arm was trapped underneath her, and you had to quietly chew it off and sneak out before she woke up....right?.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

I like the BPA rules that were posted. I know the owner of our local dz told my wife he turns away people over a certain age as he isn't prepared to have the additional liability/hassle.

The problem I have with requiring "medical" clearance is that most GP's have absolutely no idea about skydiving and tend to think of it as incredibly dangerous, thus disqualifying many people who are perfectly OK to jump.

Again older people are perfectly aware of their age and the limitations that brings, and are big and ugly enough to make their own decisions. It is up to the instructor to then assess their suitability during training.

That should be enough.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

The problem I have with requiring "medical" clearance is that most GP's have absolutely no idea about skydiving and tend to think of it as incredibly dangerous, thus disqualifying many people who are perfectly OK to jump.

Again older people are perfectly aware of their age and the limitations that brings, and are big and ugly enough to make their own decisions. It is up to the instructor to then assess their suitability during training.

That should be enough.

The link that was posted for the BPA stuff had a full page of guidelines for the MD to follow.

Sadly I disagree with you. There is plenty of evidence that elderly people continue to drive when they are no longer safe to do so. If people have that problem with driving, then they will have the same with jumping. Obviously everyone is different, which is why I don't like a blanket rule of nobody over X years.

Simple answer, if they have recently lost their driver's license - for medical reasons - they have lost the vision/eyesight/reaction times needed for solo skydiving

I hope it's not entirely that simple. There are visually impaired people who can skydive, but not drive, if nothing else. Just as someone elderly who lives in a rural area can often continue to drive past a point when someone in an urban area has to quit, someone who limits their jumps to 2-ways with experienced friends on perfect days can probably continue to jump longer than someone who swoops.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Pat Moorhead-80

Let's tell them no more skyjumping 'cuz they're too old:P

I gather Pat finds it hard to do more than 80 jumps in a day now that he's turned 80.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

John,
... The shock!
... The horror!
... The embarrassment!
... GASP!
... HAH!
... HAH!

And when you woke up she was asleep but your arm was trapped underneath her, and you had to quietly chew it off and sneak out before she woke up....right?.

Nah, it was the star of the show.
:o
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I turned 60 the other day and am training with a semi-serious 4-way team. I pack my own rig too. But I started back in the day, took a 15-year layoff, and came back at the age of 46. But, if and when I think it's time to retire, I probably will.

John,
... The shock!
... The horror!
... The embarrassment!
... GASP!
... HAH!
... HAH!

My right arm has never been the same since.

Before age 40, Transport Canada requires commercial pilots to pass a medical exam every year.
After age 40, they need a medical every 6 months.

I wonder at what age a physician has to continuously stand next to the pilot? :P
The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks