jtval

Rig cleaning

from Relative Workshop
"Washing Your Vector
[...] We've found that many people are unsure how to get their container clean. For that reason, we have put together the following instructions on how to make your Vector smell and look good again.
The best way to wash a rig is the “good old fashion way” with slightly warm water and Woolite.
Use a big tub; let the rig stay in the soapy water 4 hrs.
Occasionally swish the rig around in the tub to loosen dirt.
Drain soapy water, fill tub with clean water, and swish rig around until the clear water becomes soapy and cloudy.
Drain tub and repeat until all soap and dirt residue are gone, usually in 3 rinses.
Let the rig naturally dry, without direct sunlight. We usually allow a small fan to blow air past it to speed up the drying process.
We do not recommend using a washing machine. Extended agitation in a washing machine could have negative effects in the long run. This also requires you to wrap the heavy hardware to minimize damage to the machine."
Blues Marcus
--
Veni, Vidi, Velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck around ;-)

I think the stainless steel should be allright, unless its an exotic form of stainless (there are hundreds of different flavours of stainless steel), which I very much doubt.........If you are truly worried, don't let any other ferriric (eg steel)based material come into contact with the shiny bits....
Cya
D

is it viable to hand wash the rig in sections without takinjg it apart? if i take the reserve out I wont be able to jump IN hawaii when I go there, not enough vacation to wiat for a repack!
getting high is fun, but coming down is the best part
JT

It is quite possible the moisture will work through the entire assembly untill everything is equally damp. Nylon is hygroscopic; it hunts for water. If you hung one wet canopy in a room with several dry ones, and waited long enough, they would all get equally damp.
I wouldn't recommend washing only part of the rig without dissasembly...personally, I would jump in Hawaii with a dirty rig any day.

that's pretty much what I was afraid of. (not that i would have to jump with a dirty rig...who really cares as long as its functioning) but I was afraid to start getting it wet then have this soaking wet rig with midew etc etc. thanks foir the input( i'll just pay extra when I get My next repack!
getting high is fun, but coming down is the best part
JT

What about removing some small minor marks without disassembling, but not via washing in water that section?

For example (besides brushing) is there a product you could spray on that small section of the rig (eg after PLF) and leave then wipe to assist in removing the grass stain/dirt mark?
Parachutist Game IOS Android YouT

What about removing some small minor marks without disassembling, but not via washing in water that section?

For example (besides brushing) is there a product you could spray on that small section of the rig (eg after PLF) and leave then wipe to assist in removing the grass stain/dirt mark?

It's a bad idea to spray your container with anything that hasn't been tested for use with them.

It's also a horrible idea to put anything on/in your rig while the canopies are in it/attached to it.

Depending where/what the stain is, there may be reasonable ideas for cleaning spots, but I'm not going to go into them via the internet.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Scotchgard has been used for a long time by many, and has been discussed often in this forum. I've put it on my new rigs and it has allowed me to clean grease, jet fuel and grass stains even from white areas of my rigs easily. Cleaning stains with a toothbrush and a little woolite mixed with water works great. Scotchgard must not be damaging to non-zero P canopies, at least as demonstrated by its extremely liberal use by me (heavy application-really soaked it) on a main that I used for 3 years after doing so.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

if i take the reserve out I wont be able to jump IN hawaii when I go there, not enough vacation to wiat for a repack!

Why would you want to wash your rig before taking it HI? With all the sand/dirt you're going to encoutner, just wait until after your vacation, and then wash the rig properly.