NathanL100

Fast Opening Spectre

I've got over a 100 jumps on my bought new 170 Spectre loaded about 1.25. Every opening but one has been great, with 800-1000 foot snivels. I got spanked once across the face by risers, and I am pretty sure it's because I twisted the bag when I put it in the container (so I got lucky!). A guy at my DZ is loaded about the same on a 210 and is always trying to get his to open faster. Roll the nose cells toward the middle. If you choose to roll them all, make sure you pull high cause you could end up snivelling right into a Cypress fire. I also switched to Super Bandz, and I get a smoother line release/snatch with them.

I have my new 170 loaded a little less than yours with about the same number of jumps on it. I always have decent openings. Sure, it has sniveled a little longer at times, but so would any other canopy. I PRO pack, leave the center cell hanging, fold the end cells in and put 6 to 8 twists in the tail. On the bag, I also use 2 Skybands in the center locking stowes and small brown ones on the others. I leave about 12-18 inches of line. Seems to work fine. Now for the Sabre2 openings........... never mind...:)

Bringing back this old thread after having an instructor see a video of my opening and going "whoa". He claims my opening was fast - insinuating it was hard.

I've jumped this Spectre 190 for about 60 jumps now and they are all like this. I'm loading it at 1.1 psf.

The opening doesn't feel hard - but maybe I got used to it. It's certainly faster than the Sabre 2 190 I used to jump before that. The canopy snivels for a good while and then the slider comes down like a rocket. Any packing trick I know wouldn't work since it snivels long enough to unroll anything and then snivels some more before slider drop.

I will compile a video of my latest openings and post here to see what you guys have to say about them.

Cheers!

As far as snivel goes, nothing compares to the Diablo (discontinued) by Aerodyne: 1,000-1,500 ft easily.

After deployment, you would find yourself in vertical body position, slider still all the way up, canopy just inflated 1/3 and 1/2. Ands then it would ever so slowly blossom. Awesome!

It was a very snappy canopy to fly. Much faster turns than a Stiletto. I never understood why they discontinued it. :(

ECVZZ

I had heard the Spectre would snivel, but it scared the shit outta me on the first jump! Deployment to full inflation must have been 700 or 800 ft.
I was just about ready to chop it there for a sec. or two.

G. Jones

"Why don't they have a light bulb that only shines on things that are worth looking at?"

I have a Spectre 150, loaded at 1.3. Most openings are "mushy", taking about 400 to 500 ft. I flat pack then roll canopy upside-down, bag it, turn bag over and stow lines. Snug each band down to line group size. Squares seem to open from tail first. By leaving tail a little loose, makes it open faster. Nose folding did not seem to affect mine. Rubber bands too tight may make bag rock and roll on the way up. Semi stow seems best. Slider slamming down may cause toggle fire, if you have the newer metric stainless grommets. The inside diameter is smaller than 1 in. Most toggles are made from 1 in stock, with a grommet installed and line on both sides, making slider jamb on steering toggles. Sometimes causing a toggle fire. Then maybe a cut away. Stops on rear risers is one way to eliminate this. When I used rear stops, they seemed to cause alot of friction on steering lines. I changed to original #8 grommets on slider to cure that. Also I built super slim toggles. I put that problem behind me.

halfeld

I will compile a video of my latest openings and post here to see what you guys have to say about them.

Here it is: https://youtu.be/CwcmGeKHqus

I've slowed the hardest two openings to 25% speed so you can see what's happening in detail. The only difference I can see in comparison with a Sabre 2 is a faster slider drop, resulting in a faster widening of the canopy. What are your remarks? Do these seem fast to you or normal?

I would contact PD and see what they say. I have over 300+ jumps on Spectres and never had a crappy opening. I have packed some pretty sketchy mains and it still opens softly. Maybe your lines are out of trim. Either way see what they say. PD is awesome and they have great costumer service.

halfeld

Bringing back this old thread after having an instructor see a video of my opening and going "whoa". He claims my opening was fast - insinuating it was hard.
:
Cheers!

My Spectre 170 is very consistent with a 600 foot snivel, and isn't snappy at all. If someone at your DZ has Spectra jump theirs and see if it feels different. If so, have it looked at. Don't let little problems fester, this is the device that saves your life every time you jump.