NathanL100

Fast Opening Spectre

I recently bought a new Spectre 150 and since then I've put about 20 jumps on it. For some reason no matter what I do to it, it likes to open fast. I've tried everything except psycho packing it. Any ideas?
PS: I'm almost positive that its not body position.
Just keep your mind open and suck in the experience. And if it hurts, you know what? It's probably worth it.

VERY UNUSUAL
Spectres are known for their extremely soft openings. As a matter of fact, most people use the Spectre as a reference point in this regard.
My suggestion would be for you to have a rigger look at it. There might be something odd that slipped through the insection process. I'd find that very unusual, but I suppose it could happen.
I checked your profile and you have 80 jumps listed. I assume that some of those were demoing different canopies. Were at least a few of those Spectre 150s. I mean, you do know what a Spectre opening is supposed to feel like -- right?
quade
http://futurecam.com

what makes the Spectre open so softly?

I'm not exactly sure. There are several parts to a canopy deployment and at every stage the Spectre seems to do it just a bit more slowly than other canopys. Some people don't like it because it opens so slowly. Most people that try it for the first time, even if they're told about it, are kinda nervous because it feels like it's just going to snivel forever (compared to most other canopys), but finally it fully inflates and everything is cool. In the meanwhile, it has eaten up quite a bit of altitude, so, if you demo one, open it high the first few times and check out your altimeter.
I do know that they -can- occasionally open snappy. I've had a packer do that to me once or twice out of maybe 900 Spectre jumps, so, it can happen, but even a snappy opening on a Spectre is only about as hard as most "normal" canopy openings.
One final word about the feel of canopy openings. It almost doesn't matter how soft the canopy opens if you have your harness misadjusted. For instance, if your leg straps wander toward your knees during a sitfly it can be kinda painful when they grab you behind the thigh on opening. I know that for me, it hurts like hell which is why I use a butt strap to keep my legstraps high up in my crotch. Anyway, if something is getting grabbed or pinched on opening, it can throw off your perception of how soft or slow the opening was.
quade
http://futurecam.com

I had heard the Spectre would snivel, but it scared the shit outta me on the first jump! Deployment to full inflation must have been 700 or 800 ft.
I was just about ready to chop it there for a sec. or two.
G. Jones
"Why don't they have a light bulb that only shines on things that are worth looking at?"

I've had a Spectre 135 for about 100 jumps and before that a Spectre 150 for another 100.
Perhaps I haven't jumped enough other canopies but I wouldn't consider either of my Spectres as opening all that slow. Flat or pro packed I'd say they both take about 500 feet. As far as I can remember I've only been spanked really hard once :$.
Have you jumped it with someone else's pack job, had someone watch you pack or have someone else actually jump it?
Gus
"Sex? Once every six seconds. Skydiving? Five times, every six seconds."

I had heard the Spectre would snivel, but it scared the shit outta me on the first jump!

Same here, the person I borrowed it from drilled it into my head that it would snivel a lot, he made me repeat "It will snivel a lot" Still, on the first jump I found myself reaching for the handles when it finally opened.
--
Give them a sip of the darkside, and they just thirst for more.

I assume that some of those were demoing different canopies. Were at least a few of those Spectre 150s. I mean, you do know what a Spectre opening is supposed to feel like -- right?

I demoed a Spectre 150 in Perris and put about 15 jumps on it and I remember how awesome the openings were. I could trash pack it and it would still open nice and slow and on heading, which is one of the main reasons why I bought it. I've got back issues because I was born with an extra vertebra so fast openings are very bad.
Just keep your mind open and suck in the experience. And if it hurts, you know what? It's probably worth it.

Have you jumped it with someone else's pack job, had someone watch you pack or have someone else actually jump it?

I talked to my rigger last weekend and he is going to look at it and pack it for me.

I've been jumping a Spectre 190 (and a couple 170s) for the past month and a half or so, and my openings have been nice. Not as slow as I've had Hornets open before, but I don't do anything to the nose and bairly roll the tail packing a Spectre (I roll the nose a lot and the tail a lot on Hornets). The opens haven't been butter soft, but they haven't been hard either, just comfortable with a good positive feel with it.
The point of all of that was that although the openings aren't hard, they're not super super soft either, just smooth.
A human cannonball, I rise above it all
Up higher then a trapeze, I can fly

I also jump a Spectre- only about 20 so far on a 150- I had one opening that was kinda hard- but I blame that on body posistion - I pro-pack it, and dont do anything special to the tail or the nose for that matter- I sort of leave the nose open before wrapping the tail around - Just the way I was taught to pack it by the previous owner - no problems- My input for what it may be worth!
Seek out your rigger and get his input!

nathan, i agree with everyone else, definately sounds like something is a bit amiss. i've got over 300 on mine and i can remember getting whacked once and line twist twice. go figure. for the most part though, it has been forgiving since day 1 when i bought it new.
i'm wondering - your demo spectre was already broken in and the slipperiness of it was all gone, right? is your new canopy giving you issues getting into the dbag? if you don't roll the tail edge of the canopy much when you bring it around to cover up the nose i could see it slipping during packing and leaving the nose wide exposed. (i don't think this would be a big issue, i just let the nose hang) but yeah i remember that was a slippery little bastard when i first got it. after awhile it will behave alot better!
other than that i can't think of anything too major. double check all the minor things. rubber band size, slider position/cloverleafing. if all else fails roll the shit out of the nose and see what happens. good luck! :)die trying,
billo

Would it be a safe assumption that 7 cells are generally snivelers? I have an Omega and not only is she a sniveler, but I have heard other Omega owners opinions as being snivelers as well. I have also read in these forums that Omega's are comparable to Spectre's.
I know it's a reach.... I'm just trying to learn
I've got to stop wishing, got to go fishing, I'm down to rock bottom again....

Not really... BASE canopies are 7 cells. Its more a combo of design factors that determine the snivel factor on a canopy. You can take a fast opening canopy and if you add a larger slider it will be different and then you can change the Nose openings, trim, brake setttings..... the list goes on and on...
If once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will....

Would it be a safe assumption that 7 cells are generally snivelers?

No. Just the Spectre. 600-800 feet typically. I've got over 25 jumps on my new one and it used to open up "quicker" when I first got it. It may be because it was new; ie. less porous. Yours may not be completely "broken in." Who knows. Prior to this one, I put 250+ jumps on another new Spectre. Same thing if I can remember correctly. How do you pack it? I leave the center cell exposed and fold in the ends towards the center. I also roll the shit out of the tail. Typically 8 twists. This definitely slows the openings. But they are consistent and predictable. I wish I could have said the same for the Sabre2.

Yeah, Kreg (N2skdvn) was mentioning that is the way he flakes the nose of his Omega (sort of like a flat pack). I've tried it and it is still snively but right on the edge of my comfort level . If I just tuck the nose in, then it REALLY snivels to the point where I'm starting to go for handles. Bill Von gave me some ideas how to pack it to open a little faster but I haven't had a chance to try it yet (let go of the nose JUST as you start to roll the tail)
Any other packing tips would be appreciated.
I've got to stop wishing, got to go fishing, I'm down to rock bottom again....

I have over 300 wonderful camera jumps on a Spectre with 800 to 1000 foot snivels on all of them. I have seen (thankfully it didn't happen to me) two Spectres blow up on opening. I would call that hard... Neither canopy had ever opened hard before that. After examination the only thing we could find might have been a combination of tube stows or rubber bands. Seven cell canopies have fewer lines and smaller line bundles. This means really small rubber bands to ensure smooth release. I had the exact opposite effect when I went back to a nine cell. Rubberbands would hold the larger bundle of lines and cause line twists. Changed bands and fixed it...

I just recently purchased a used Spectre 190 with 200 jumps on it. I have clocked the last two openings and they were both at 1000' ( from throwout to full inflation.)
My question I guess is the opposite what you all are talking about. I love the openings, but maybe a bit less in altitude burn would be nice. What can I do to speed up the opening just a bit ? 600-800 feet sounds good to me. Again, this is not a complaint, I just have concerns if doing a low hop-n-pop someday.
I currently do not roll the nose. I push it in a bit, but no rolling. I quarter the slider and then wrap the stabilizer ( fold in the 3 or 4 folds on the stabilizer - overlapping) I put about 10 rolls on the tail and then pro pack it.
Any other spectre owners have feedback on how to speed it up a bit ?
Thx

Matt,
You might try ventilating your slider, ask a local rigger, I'm not sure what the effect would be on a Spectre, but PD reserves have a hole in the slider. It used to be quite common with tired old F111 canopies that were opening slow.
BSBD
Tad

> My question I guess is the opposite what you all are talking about. I love the openings, but maybe a bit less in altitude burn would be nice. What can I do to speed up the opening just a bit ? 600-800 feet sounds good to me. Again, this is not a complaint, I just have concerns if doing a low hop-n-pop someday.
I neither roll nose nor push it in. I also do not roll tail - just make two big (one inch or wider) folds. Definitely speeds up my Spectre openings. If it does not work, you may get a smaller slider... I decided against it because it would not allow my risers to spread.
BS