Rogersmoke

When does a Tourist become a skydiver?

So how many jumps does someone have to make before you stop calling them a tourist behind their back?

Also at what point does someone who pays to jump at your dropzone become more then just a dollar sign? I do not mind paying to jump
But IF you are just running a Disney Land amusement ride of tandems and lighting fast jumps and aff speed classes then why do you not treat me like Disney Land and at least dress up like mickey mouse and give my kid a ice cream.

What is the difference between a dropzone of tourists and the carnival ? Because they both treat customers like meat and each head is a dollar sign. Sucker born every minute right?
Learn to talk softer or at least wait until US tourist have left for the day.

So far every post you've made has been a scattered, rambling diatribe about how bad you've been treated somwhere and how you're being looked at as a walking dollar sign.

However, you never mention any specifics, you never explain how you feel you were mistreated or overcharged for goods or services, and your profile has no info about who you are and where you jump.

If you're looking for sympathy, how about explaining your situation, and seeing if people agree you've been mistreated. For all we know, maybe you're a 'drama queen' who looks to play the victim, and the people you've been jumping with haven't done anything wrong.

I can tell you this, skydiving isn't cheap for anyone, DZOs included. I have yet to meet the student who has enough money to spend that they alone will become a target for the DZO to try and line their pockets. Beyond the DZO, you realize that instructors make the same amount of money for every student they jump with. Often times, they have no idea how much you spent, or plan to spend, and don't really care. In terms of money, they'll get their $30 or $40, and then move on to the next student manifest sends their way.

Beyond that, the majority of instructors don't even think about the money. Yes, they get paid per jump, but if the schedule is full for the day and they'll be busy, their money is not on their mind, they're too busy having fun spending the day in the air.

The experience you have with an instructor is largely dependant on how you behave. If you're honest and upfront, and ready to learn and have fun, 99% of the instructors out there will pick up on that and make an honest effort to teach you and help you have a good time.

On the other hand, if you act like a tool and are a pain in the ass, how do expect people to react? Instructors are no different than anyone else, and you get what you give. When you act like a dick to a waiter, they spit in your food. When you're a pain in the ass to an instructor, you're going to get the minimum required from them, and they won't give two shits about you once you're safely back in the student room.

Your right. I got what i payed for.
I was looking for friends and something to do.
ll i can sky dive who need friends right?
the party starts after the TOURIST leave do not hang around for a invite cause it is not coming
Was thinking MY 3 grand was good for a beer but never got a invite
. AND yes a brought beer put it in the DZ fridge

Also if I wanted to bash the dropzone"S that treat all customers like walking dollar signs I SURE would have listed them in my profile that/s why my profile is not listing a dropzone.

But Dave thanks for listing yours So minimum required is what you provide at your dropzone unless I kiss ass?

Just a # manifest sends. Wow thanks glad to know one more dropzone I will not go to.

You told the story better then I ever could from first hand experience, Thanks Dave.
1. You are just a number
2. We are here to have fun screw the tourist but hey if they kiss my ass i might to a trick
3. Next customer

Actually, you just told the story by showing what you got out of my post. Did you happen to see these two paragraphs?

the majority of instructors don't even think about the money. Yes, they get paid per jump, but if the schedule is full for the day and they'll be busy, their money is not on their mind, they're too busy having fun spending the day in the air.

The experience you have with an instructor is largely dependant on how you behave. If you're honest and upfront, and ready to learn and have fun, 99% of the instructors out there will pick up on that and make an honest effort to teach you and help you have a good time.

You get what you give, my friend. If you feel like you were treated like a dollar sign or a number, maybe it's because you didn't give anyone a reason to see you as anything but that.

For what it's worth, you're not winning anyone over with your charm around here so far.

Have you ever been to build a bear?
I rather jump without a chute

Well great attitudes all around I guess doing 75 or more jumps no not a lot of jumps but a hell of a lot of money

tipping every person from the packer instructor manifest coach. I was such a big impact that I bet anyone on this site not 3 people down there except for MAYBE manifest could call me by name. SO EARN FRIENDS how much do skydiving friends cost?

First time I jumped was when I was 13 back in 1995. It was a Soviet D-5 round with a drogue. i've been told after that - even if you jumped once - you are parachutist for life, I also jumped UT-15 (Russian Paracommander) few times.
Should i update my profile with 17 years in sport? :P

Have you ever been to build a bear?
I rather jump without a chute

Well great attitudes all around I guess doing 75 or more jumps no not a lot of jumps but a hell of a lot of money

tipping every person from the packer instructor manifest coach. I was such a big impact that I bet anyone on this site not 3 people down there except for MAYBE manifest could call me by name. SO EARN FRIENDS how much do skydiving friends cost?

You are a skydiver, it sounds more like people at the DZ you went to didn't like you very much. First time or has this happened to you before?

You don't create friends or respect just by tipping, in my experience a smile and a good attitude goes further. Equally paying lots of dollars to the DZ doesn't make you part of the in-crowd.

If this is the first time you have ever had this reaction or felt this way, try another DZ, if not then maybe its time to look inward for the answer.
At the end of the day its easier to change your mind and outlook than everyone elses.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -- Albert Einstein

Are you a skydiver or a tourist?
When going around getting up a outside food order do they ask the guy on the left of the bench and the right of the bench and skip you like a sand bag in the middle.
have you ever been called by your name or just hey you what altitude you pulling at.
Have you done more then 40 solos in a row cause no one asked you to join a crew?
Maksimsf if you would have told me you had 40 jumps or 4000 jumps I would have said YES if at your DZ and asked to jump.
Yes my JOB to speak UP or SHUT up and LEARN
I chose to shut up and learn
I learned no matter how many jumps you got everyone else will have more an

I also learned I can not afford to buy my Good old skydiving buddies

Next time you sky gods get some Geek shows up wants to skydive and have buddies
Give the old guy a break save him some money
Tell him your not one of us you never will be save your money go home or go and
Buy a bike Bitches love guys on motorcycles.
Just once .

Serious question here - are you at all an outgoing (extroverted) person?
Some DZs can be clique-ish, and sometimes up jumpers dont want to jump with lowtime jumpers because they want a successful dive for whatever reason - but I find it hard to believe that you were specifically excluded from any after-jumping DZ hangouts unless you just dont talk to anyone at the DZ, you put out a dickhead vibe, or maybe you need to bathe. If you really feel that way your best bet might be to ASK someone you know at the DZ, or just find another place to jump. Skydivers are people just like anyone else, a little friendliness goes a long way.
For what its worth, Dave is completely correct with what he said - you are not winning any friends here by taking everything he told you out of context and whining like a baby - would you want to hang out with someone who posted the stuff you have put in this thread?
Skydiving is an adult sport, so man up. I dont know the specifics of your issues, but I can for sure tell you that YOU sound like the problem based on the tone of your posts on here.
And that is not trying to slag you, I am actually trying to help.

Edit to add that I personally have never been to a DZ where I didnt get invited to jump with someone, even if it was just a two way. I have found that most skydivers are by nature fairly friendly people. Seriously, maybe you need to branch out and try a new DZ.
OR, maybe you need to just walk up to someone at your DZ and say "Hey how ya doing? My name is __, I have XX jumps and I would really like to do a XX jump. Would you be interested, or if you have something going on do you know anyone I could jump with?"
Just trying to help man.

As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD...

Hii Roger

Don't worry be happy:)
Your the custome if you don't like the way your being treated at a DZ:(. No problemo:)
Try and buddy up with another noob and that way you have at least a two way. IMO Doing solo's isn't even worth packing. Solo's are a wau for the DZ to fill up the airplane and don't do much for a jumper.
Thats what LO are for but some DZ's are "to busy".

To bad your not a babe :P YMMWV.

R

10 years.

August this year B|B|B|B|

Um is that 10 years of continuous jumping or 10 years total?
I did take off 2009, and I have had a couple of hiatus' so maybe 8 years of continuous jumping.:)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I knew it would not come over night i knew you have to earn your stripes
1. If i was a dick head it was when they said hey you what altitude you pulling at and i said 3500. Should i have said 3 or 4000?
2. The smell in that plane is not me. I have been able so far not gas on the plane
3 RULE Shut up and listen to people that have more jumps then you

4.RULE everyone has more jumps then you

Reading the forum how drop zones retain skydivers set me off
Did not mean to start a attack
I probably just have not been there long enough only started 6 months ago 75 jumps
Actually like the name BUDDY At least its close when they say HEY buddy you sit there,
Still wishing I got the motorcycle

Well, I found out about term "tourist" from this thread. I was a tourist when I did 2 jumps @ Lodi, but actually I was a "tourist" there. I didn't get a vibe of that place and I decided not to jump there. Me and my 2 friends that i converted from wuffos into skydivers always go to our regular dz only because we do really enjoy jumping there, but it's not closest DZ to our place. Yes DZ's is a business and Tandems with AFF is what make it running, but our DZO/Manager is always happy to lift a Pac if there are at least 6 fun jumpers willing to jump. I'm agree that skydivers are really friendly peoples. My be OP act like a "Customer", not like a skydiver at particular DZ and that's why he got treated like a dollar sign. Stop being a customer and become a part of the family and you will be treated like a family member ;)

40 solos because no one ASKED YOU to jump with them.

How many people have YOU ASKED to jump with you.

Someone recently said a similar thing to what you are saying now, about my DZ. Then they said that
they dont walk up to people and say Hi, what you doing, can i join in?

You can jump out of a plane and risk you life in doing so, but you cant gather your sack up, and ask someone to jump with you.:S:S:S:S:S

HTFU

You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

show up put beer in fridge
Manifest load
put parachute on
Gear check
Asked what i altitude i am pulling at
told who i am after
ride plane
jump
PACK my own chute
repeat
I do not gossip start trouble Fart and when asked Hey buddy I always make eye contact.
I do not try to pick up the DZ women not that i have a chance but I am careful so What the hell him i doing wrong i was told you make your self look like a pest trying to beg your way on a crew jump so I have not asked was told in AFF when experienced skydivers see your ready they will ask you.
i passed aff on first try 8 or 9 jumps had my license in 26 jumps i do not do hook turn crowd groups have not caused or been involved in any accidents so Except for the mini riot here on the DROPZONE website which i just made many enemys I guess i just need to be patient and earn my turn i just thought it would not take as long