billbooth

Is Your Hand Deploy Pilot Chute Correctly Made?

:)
Re - Bill Booth's Patent...

(Sorry guys, its a snowy day and I was bored... )

I too thought Cazer referenced Booth's patent, but not so...

Cazer PC references patent 4,399,969 which is Bill Gargano's patent on a gliding parachute with a kill-line on its PC.

Bill Booth's PC patent is 4,039,164

Both make interesting reading. Check out http://patft.uspto.gov

Blue Ones
Jim
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

Here is my 2c worth
I have a couple of passions one of which is Moto Guzzi motorbikes.
Now because the bikes I ride are over 20 years old, finding info can be a tad difficult.
When I researched I found a news group of other like minded bike riders and together they accumulated basic technical manual and maintenance guide amd sold them for cost +posatage+5% to the compiler. There was also one individual who has had a passion for Guzzi's for a very long time. He compiled a technical manual called "Guzziology", its the backyard Guzzi mechanics bible.
Why not do something similazr Bill, put all your experience into a tome and sell it, that way you get the best of both worlds.
I'm aware of (but havn't seem) Dan Poynters book, but if that book is a general guide you could construct a more comprehensive guide to "Rig Maintenance".
Just a thought;)
I for one would be in line to purchase it.

You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

That's a good idea; I'd certainly buy it. But it's a lot of work to publish a book, and it still gives advice to RWI's competitors.

I'm still a student, but when it comes time to buy my rig you can bet that the V3M will be right at the top of the list, no question about it. Reading Bill's posts here about pilot chutes, BOC materials, and even the engineering behind the skyhook have me convinced.

Disclaimer: I'm sure there are other reputable manufacturers making high quality gear as well, but they haven't impressed me the way Bill has.
7CP#1 | BTR#2 | Payaso en fuego Rodriguez
"I want hot chicks in my boobies!"- McBeth

That's a good idea; I'd certainly buy it. But it's a lot of work to publish a book, and it still gives advice to RWI's competitors.

I'm still a student, but when it comes time to buy my rig you can bet that the V3M will be right at the top of the list, no question about it. Reading Bill's posts here about pilot chutes, BOC materials, and even the engineering behind the skyhook have me convinced.

Disclaimer: I'm sure there are other reputable manufacturers making high quality gear as well, but they haven't impressed me the way Bill has.

After reading Bill's 2002 post I have noticed several PC's that had the reinforcing tapes sewn 45 degrees away from the correct orientation. From a "reputable" manufacturer, too. Well worth checking.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

i have a name brand pilot chute, when you hold the skirt and the bottom tape, 2 of the gores stretch along the tape and 2 dont, the two that stretches are showing wear to the mesh. it appears that the the mesh was cut flat in a circle and the tapes sewed to the mesh..to get the bias would you have to have several pieces of mesh sewed together to achieve this? thanks tony

...to get the bias would you have to have several pieces of mesh sewed together to achieve this? thanks tony

No you wouldn't. It is common to see different pilot chutes sewn both right and wrong made of a single piece of mesh.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

the tape is sewn 45 degrees to the mesh, but whats gets me is bill said the mesh is like a round parachute suspension lines, if two opposite sides of the lines are longer due to mesh stretch, i realize the tape would restrict it it 4 places. so this is normal? thanks tony

Let' try to re-state this.
If you only use a piece of mesh - on the bottom side of your pilot chute - it is like only having four suspension lines, because the fabric will not stretch along the threads.
If you sew reinforcing tapes along the weave, it is still like only having four suspension lines.
However, if you sew tapes along the bias (45 degrees to the weft and weave and fill), then the pilot chute flies as if it has eight suspension lines = more drag, less spin, etc.

Here is an intereting MSExcel file about PC construction.
A Block reinforced pc will have significantly less drag (appx 30%) than a Bias reinforced pc. built in the same dimensions.

I made some measurements with Bias versus Block elongations. This is a page from the file as the other page composed by BASE689 is too big to add as an attachment but has PC drag calculations which I could send you on request.
As a BASE jumper (as well as a skydiver) these things are quite pertinent to a successful deployment.
take care,
space

so i think i understand, thanks for taking the time to help me. in the two picts the 1st is the tape is it correct? the second one is the wear, the pict i think makes it look worse. the stretch marks are across the other panel opposite these....thanks tony