Maxx

I'm stupid, but YOU can learn from it.

On my last skydiving trip I did a stupid thing, which could have led to a serious problem..
I am sharing this, so maybe someone can learn from this and prevent this from happening.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q49x5bxOKLY&hd=1

If you have a problem with your main canopy, try to fix it first, before you think about other things, like stowing your slider :P

I reviewed this video and found a lot iof mistakes from my side. Let's see how many you can find ;)

I learned a lot from DZ.com, so I just wanted to add this to the knowledge base.

Nothing happened, except an outlanding because of that..

My 2 cents -

I'd stow that excess brake line! Loose brake line has a habit of looping around toggles, kill lines, other risers etc.

I'd also suggest SETTING both brakes. :P
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

My 2 cents -

I'd stow that excess brake line! Loose brake line has a habit of looping around toggles, kill lines, other risers etc.

I think he cleaned it off with his hand during deployment.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Oh boy, an arm-chair critic opportunity. People in this forum LOVE this stuff.

I know ;)

Where the heck did your slider go? I saw grommets, and it didn't look like a removable slider...

I pulled it behind my head. Not good in this situation..

Do you have a third riser for your brake line?

Yes, it's called triple riser, a relict from the past.. I don't know if many people still use this.

My 2 cents -

I usually do this, but in this case it somehow came loose or I pulled it out while (unnecessarily) grabbing the risers.. I am extra cautious now while stowing the excess.

Good point! :P
Took us a while to figure that out.. At first we thought it was a brake fire. Nope. The brake was never set. Why? Most probably a packing error from my side..

1. seems left brake was not stowed.
2. Steering the canopy while doing the slider, not good.
3. The grip of the right toggle, seems like your hand went through the access brake line....too quick on the draw.
lastly, a lot of people do not advise gripping the risers while still inflating. I have heard of hands getting stuck in line twists, altis lost etc. If your hands get stuck, you are ....

Anyhow, my stupid thing for the last weekend....
I jumped a cessna, with the little handles at the door, and held on to that. Broke my left hand ring finger as I exitted, my finger got stuck in the little V part of the handle. 6weeks lesson.
You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.

I jumped a cessna, with the little handles at the door, and held on to that. Broke my left hand ring finger as I exitted, my finger got stuck in the little V part of the handle. 6weeks lesson.

OUCH! B|

Another thing I noticed in my video.. When your left brake isn't set, your canopy will most likely spin to the left on opening, while when it's flying it will slowly turn right. Weird, but logical when you think about it..

Another thing I noticed in my video.. When your left brake isn't set, your canopy will most likely spin to the left on opening, while when it's flying it will slowly turn right. Weird, but logical when you think about it..

Wanna explain to the class why that is? (I know, just rather you tell it;))
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Please spill the beans.....I don't know why it would spin in the opposite direction.
You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.

Owww... but you might have gotten off easy... buddy of mine jumped with a guy that did that while wearing his ring... left the ring, finger and all controlling tendons with the plane. Convinced me to leave the ring on the ground and watch my hands as well as my handles.

JW
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

Lucky me then. I know of two cases, where a thumb and a finger got lost on a snag point at the door.

Don't stick your finger where it will not come out...hahaha

I've asked this to one of my former teammates on numerous occasions over the years. He has risers that don't have tuck tabs to stow away excess brake line. I've read about several incidents on this issue (some of them fatal) here on dizzy, and I keep telling him this. Despite my well-meant advice and despite the fact that tuck tabs are something that his rigger (Also my rigger) will gladly install for free, he still hasn't/refuses to install them.
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane"

I had a loop of brakeline come loose once (toggle remained stowed) and somehow managed to reach through the loop of brake line to release the brake. I pulled the brake through the loop and tied a knot around the riser! Put my canopy in an instant spin.

I pulled down on the other toggle to level things out and managed to get the knot untied with 100 feet left til my hard deck. Otherwise, I'd have chopped it, because while I could kind of steer it, I couldn't flare it evenly for landing, so I wouldn't have, at under 30 jumps, called it a landable canopy.