Sally81

First jumps on my own rig

Hi, just looking for a bit of advice.

I've got 40 jumps, and I've just got my own rig. The main is a Pulse 190 which I'll be loading at about 0.9, the reserve is a PD 160.

I've been jumping hire kit with bigger canopies (lots of jumps on a 210, most recent on a 230, which was all that was available).

I'm a bit on the slim side and hire gear never feels tight enough. I'm a nervous jumper anyway and some of my worst fears are leg straps shuffling down (unlikely belly flying I know) or the rig shifting off my shoulders. I've also had a few going backwards moments under canopy which I know would be lessened to some degree with a slightly higher with loading.

I feel a bit stuck between a rock and a hard place as the big hire rig gives me the fear. My own rig feels snug and safe but I'm worried about landing the smaller canopy, especially if / when I find myself under the 160 reserve.

Added to which most of my jumps were in Europe and I'm now in New Zealand, where the air is warmer and my last landing wasn't one of my finer moments!

The main advice at the DZ has been aim to do 2 or 3 jumps on the 230 then straight onto the 190 on the same day, to be super current for the downsize; wait for the right day with easy wind conditions; pull high and play with the new canopy a bit.

Any other words of wisdom / experiences / general advice?

I know there are people with 40 jumps jumping smaller but I'm just nervous and over cautious about jumping in general.

Well, "nervous and overcautious" isn't that bad of a thing.

Far better than "stupid and overconfident."

If you've done ok on a 210, then a 190 won't be that big of a step.

The suggestion that you:

The main advice at the DZ has been aim to do 2 or 3 jumps on the 230 then straight onto the 190 on the same day, to be super current for the downsize; wait for the right day with easy wind conditions; pull high and play with the new canopy a bit.

is, IMO, a good one, although I would suggest actually having a "checklist" of maneuvers to practice that first jump. Obviously turns and practice flares, but flat turns, rear riser work, perhaps even stalls and slow flight too.
The items on that list depend on what you have already done under canopy. Consult with those who advise you on what you should do.

I wouldn't worry a whole lot about the temp difference. Unless you are jumping in fairly cold (at or near freezing) at home and fairly hot (say 30C or more), then the temp difference won't result in a huge performance difference. And if you try a few jumps on the bigger canopy that you are familiar with, you will be able to see that difference.

Good luck. Have fun.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Thanks wolfriverjoe.

I'm just nervous really. The fear comes and goes - some jumps I feel fine, others I'm really scared. The main fears are gear failure and landing badly so I tend to obsess a bit about sizes, shapes, fit, wind direction etc.

I'll definitely spend some time up high playing with the new canopy. I'm looking forward to jumping the same one all the time and getting to know it. I think it's the 160 reserve that's got me spooked!

Download and print out the B license canopy proficiency card. On your first jumps with the new canopy, try all the exercises that concentrate on practice flares, do them a bunch. This'll help your landings a bunch, I know it did for me. Learning the flare performance of your canopy, and the perfect timing of that flare will be huge. Soon, you'll be looking forward to each landing as just another opportunity for a nice grass surf and a tiptoe landing!

As for the transition to your 190, I wouldn't worry yourself too much about it, especially considering you're still below a 1:1 wing loading. Just plan for a nice pattern with a turn to final at a reasonable height, and no aggressive turns once you're on final. That'll help keep things at a reasonable speed and you'll do great.

Sally81

Thanks wolfriverjoe.

I'm just nervous really. The fear comes and goes - some jumps I feel fine, others I'm really scared. The main fears are gear failure and landing badly so I tend to obsess a bit about sizes, shapes, fit, wind direction etc.

I'll definitely spend some time up high playing with the new canopy. I'm looking forward to jumping the same one all the time and getting to know it. I think it's the 160 reserve that's got me spooked!

If you think 160 is too small, why did you buy it ?
Life is short ... jump often.

Reserve size is what I'd be worried about.

Think about this - In the event you have a chop, you're going to be lower than normal, potentially dealing with powerlines, trees or a small landing area and full of adrenaline. All of this under a canopy which is 30 sqft smaller than you've flown before.

so if your wing loading is correct your are 170 lbs geared up that puts you at 150 lbs. If you are lighter than that your wing loading would obviously be less. Even if you are then on a 160 you are barely over 1 to 1 wing loading.
Chops can happen at anytime but Ive never had one.
Hopefully you get a bunch more jumps before you have to use it but either way I think you would be fine but I am not on the conservative end.
BASE 1519

My experience, not specifically advice.

I went from a 260 student rig to my 210 rig with 22 jumps. My wingloading with the 210 was 0.93. I did a jump in the student rig, then practiced my PLFs with an instructor watching/coaching me, then went and jumped my rig.

I flared a tiny bit late and hit the ground like I had jumped off of something 1 meter tall. Not bad, but less than ideal. I was told that I didn't flare much and was too late. I had good outside video and I started my flare with my feet about 9 feet up and completely flared before I touched down, but the canopy didn't have time to fully react. I flared much like I was taught to flare as a student, which was lacking a bit for the faster canopy.

If you feel your worries will affect your performance, you might need more practice on the 230. You don't want to be your own enemy.

You might ask your instructors if wearing weight while you practice with the 230 would be helpful to you. Gradually speeding up your 230 landings might be helpful.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

Your reserve is fine. wolfriverjoe and CrashProne had good advice and a single weekend where you make five jumps a day should address most of your mental issues. Don't take that the wrong way. IMO you are just overthinking the situation.

You have likely investigated all the possibilities and just dwelling on the possibility of injury. Nothing wrong with that. A little fear combined with knowledge and experience is called judgement.

In the era of round canopies most landings were going backwards. But after 10-20 jumps on your new gear take a course if you want. Don't get over obsessed with canopy size as design(performance) means more than size. Conservative flying is the biggest component of safety. But it is also important not to be intimidated by the situation.

You can do some jumps opening higher to get some more flight time as well. Visualizing the landing approaches at 1500' as to exactly where in the air you are going to be and how final approach to flare might help as well.

I think you'll be fine after another 20 jumps in the exact gear you have now. Relax, have fun.

Congratulations Sally for your new rig.
I have jumped a Pulse 170 and got a stand up landing. OK, I have the experience but I weigh way more than you. Therefore, your canopy (Pulse 190) is certainly big enough for you. Now you have to master the landing (approach, set up in short final, reach the sweet spot and flare).
Everybody at the beginning finds that sequence tricky since at landing everything happens fast. But don't give up, and pratice. Do several low altitude jumps just to improve your landings. Train your brain, body reactions and your overall coordination for landing.
Everybody has a iPhone or so then have a jumper with experience taking a video of your landing from the ground, taken from the side. That will show you if your sequence at landing is OK and how you can now correct accordingly.
ASAP register for a Flight-1 course. You will learn in details what I am talking about about landing. They will give you a seminar illustrated with video for about 30 minutes then you will have to go and jump to pratice and do the homework. There will be a debriefing of your jump including a video. Another seminar of half an hour will follow then a pratice again and so on...
I have the same reserve than you, a PD 160. OK, the landing are better to be done with a good Parachute Landing Fall or PLF as the military do. With your weight, this reserve should be OK too since it's slower.

Good luck and tell us when everything will be better for you.

Points to check at landing :
1) in final approach, fly straight
2) calm down 10 seconds before touch down (no move)
3) keep your toggles symmetrical (trick : talk loud to yourself and repeat Symmetry, symmetry... to reming you to do it) Note : You wouldn't believe how many beginners think they are symmetrical with toggles when they are not.
4) at 10 feet or so pull the toggles at the sweet spot (this is when you change your descent to an horizontal flight)
5) at 3 feet above the ground flare with toggles at the hips

Don't look straight down but at 45 degrees
Do not anticipate your touch down by trying to protect yourself with hands or legs
Do not reach with hands (keep toggles symmetrical)
Continue to fly your canopy even after the touch down.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.