tyro

Book Recommendation

I apologize in advance because of similar threads that have already been posted but I had a question.

Is Parachuting: the Skydiver's Handbook too intro for someone with 200 jumps?

Context: I'm in West Africa (Ghana) for another couple weeks (no dzs) and am looking for a good technical knowledge based skydiving book to read.

I was really stoked on the Parachute and its Pilot but there's no kindle or PDF available for purchase (unfortunately a requirement because of West Africa). I reread the SIM and even the PIMs.

If anyone knew whether or not Parachuting would be too intro? And if so if there was another good kindle or pdf jumping that they could recommend it would be really appreciated :)

Blue skies (unless you're a poor farmer in which case blue skies can be deadly)

I own the book, and its largely geared toward the new jumper. The rest of the information in there can be found in the SIM. Unfortunately the only other skydiving books I've read are either the Parachute and It's Pilot or non-technical (Above All Else, No ETA etc) so I won't be able to suggest any alternatives.

Picked up Canopies at Dusk on Kindle for a buck...based on a recommendation in the Bonfire. Very quick read...interesting side of things from way before my time in the sport.

http://www.amazon.com/Canopies-at-Dusk-ebook/dp/B005CSNM28/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1344522968&sr=8-1&keywords=canopies+at+dusk

ETA: Above All Else is a steal at $2 on Kindle...considering I paid full price for the dead tree version...:P

Above All Else is a steal at $2 on Kindle

That book is awesome. You can hear Dan's voice when reading the words :)

True story: November-ish last year (late Fall, at any rate) Dan is signing books at ZHills. I'm probably 3, 4 jumps into AFF. Still nervous, had massive door fear etc. Dan asks me if I want to get a book and he'll sign it (I had no idea who we was) and my response was: nah, I'm still not sure this skydiving thing is for me. Thanks, though...:S or something along those lines.

One of my smarter moments.

http://www.amazon.com/Parachuting-The-Freefall-Relative-Work/dp/0960781455

The Art of Relative Freefall Work. By Pat Works.

I just got it and have not had the time to read it yet. From what I understand, it is a vintage piece that still has plenty of relevance - think Gypsy Moths.

D
The brave may not live forever, but the timid never live at all.

http://www.amazon.com/Parachuting-The-Freefall-Relative-Work/dp/0960781455

The Art of Relative Freefall Work. By Pat Works.

I just got it and have not had the time to read it yet. From what I understand, it is a vintage piece that still has plenty of relevance - think Gypsy Moths.

D

Sort of .....

Pat Works writes about the early days of American freefall formations (relative work) during the 1970s. I chatted with Pat many times during the 1990s, when he was learning sit-flying.

Whereas, "Gypsy Moths" is more about the barn-stormer era of exhibition jumping (1920 to 1950). Gypsy Moths pre-dates sport parachuting.

Both books provide valuable insights into the early days of sport parachuting.