freeflir29

Heatwave Pilots?

What do I need to know about going from a PD 190 to a 170 Heatwave. I figure this is a good transition for me to get used to flying an ellyptical main without downsizing too much. Plus....it's Cheap!!!!! and I am a cheap bastard! :D
"I only have a C license, so I don't know shit..right?"-Clay

All I can say is be careful man you are changing 3 things from your current canopy F111-ZP, 190-170, and square-elliptical. I'm sure you will be fine, but just be extra careful those first few jumps.
On a side note Derek has a little 100 on it's way that I can't wait to play with. So I'll tell you what I think of it after I get a few jumps on it.

What Kelli said...
Why not go to a Sabre2/Hornet/Safire or equivalent for a couple hundred jumps or so? A Heatwave loaded at over 1.4 at 100 jumps with no zp experience is, imho of course, asking for pain.
pull and flare,
lisa
--
I'll be in the bar... you'll find me...

Oh my!!! I didn't realize his wingloading would be that high. Clay we all know you are a jedi knight, but have you jumped anything other than your PD-190? You really need to do this the right way if you want to be able to say 1000 jumps down the road you don't have any injuries. Do some jumps on a ZP square, then downsize, then change canopy types. Why introduce alot of things that individually can get you hurt or worse. You have under 200 jumps, there is no reason to hurry, you can easily demo to help with the downsize instead of doing it in one HUGE jump.

I have a feeling that in the next couple of months we will all be saying remeber that one guy who posted on here that always wanted to try the Heatwave or another extreme canopy. He did for the first and last time today.
That would not be funny dude. I know you have a C License but you still do not know ALL the shit! :)Kachink,
ChromeBoy
-Mirage G3 Unisyn-

Well I agree with everything that has been said. I personally had a Falcon 195 and after 150 jumps moved to a Safire 169. I have 300 jumps now and have not even begun to use it to it's full potential. Every jump I truely love flying my canopy. It is better to progress slowly than burn in or hurt yourself on something your not ready for
Anyway just thought I would add my .02 cents to this
Kirk

Umm....it's not really downsizing. It's a completely differen't animal yes but going from 190 Sq/Ft F-111 to 170 Sq/Ft ZP isn't much of a difference. Hell...my reserve is 176 F-111. A Heatwave is a totally differen't canopy....one that demands a hell of a lot of respect. The size doesn't scare me....the ellyptical part is what scares me since I have never flown one. Landing ZP.....seems like if anything it will give me more control and more flare to work with. It sucks that I have to start all over again with training wheels on. Nobody is gonna learn for me though. My wing loading will be about 1.38 assuming my exit weight is 235. It's probably a little less than that actually.

Well I'll tell you want I think of it on Monday if Derek's heatwave 100 comes in. I also should have jumped my stilletto 97 this weekend so I should be able to do a good write up comparing the heatwave to the cobalt, crossfire, and stilletto. Ofcourse my wingloading on all of the above canopies will have been between 1.2 and 1.3, so not quite as high as yours.

The size doesn't scare me....the ellyptical part is what scares me

Listen to what you are saying.
The combination of elliptical, 20 sq ft smaller and zp considering what you've been flying is what makes me recommend not going there. One new thing at a time is the safest way to go.
Not that you're going to listen to me anyway....
pull and flare,
lisa
--

Clay,
Nobody on this site knows your canopy skills and they are giving feedback for the majority of the skydivers with the number of jumps you have. Ask Doug, Bill or somw of the other instructors at your dz for their feedback. I am sure you already have. What did they tell you?
Only you and the people that jump with you that are also licensed instructors that jump those canopies can tell you.
Just don't get hurt. That sucks. But if you do, enjoy the medication and heal quick so you can start jumping again.
Kachink,
ChromeBoy
-Mirage G3 Unisyn-

What did they tell you?

Actually...One of the guys (over 2000 jumps, AFFJM, Tandem master, Camera jumper, etc) and I were discussing a new canopy for me. We were talking about a Stilletto 170 specifically. The Heatwave just came up today as I saw one for sale. He thought the Stilletto was a great idea. I do too. The Heatwave is a Stilletto copy right? A few differences but pretty similar canopies...right?

Well compared to other canopies of it's class the stiletto has a fairly short recovery arch, which I know you are used to, but when you eventually go x-braced you will scare the shit out of yourself. Actually a guy who usually jumps a cobalt scared the shit out of himself when he jumped my crossfire because of how after he let off the front risers all it wanted to do was keep diving. If the crossfire bothers you, you may want to also look at a nitron if you are buying new that is.

Ok who wants to take the bet that 1 year from now we will see clay on here asking about FXs

My money would be more on him asking about good physical therapists in the Atlanta area....
pull and flare,
lisa
--

>My money would be more on him asking about good physical therapists in the Atlanta area....
That is not a very nice thing to say.
I would rather bet that some 110lb girl on a 210ft rental (or, how very safe) will break her legs, cause she can not really control the thing, and does broad S-turns to approach, being blown backwards and scaring the shit out of the next load, then a stout guy with good reflexes on something that, or mama mia, whole 10% faster and whole 30% faster in turns that what he used to jump..

That is not a very nice thing to say.

I've never claimed to be nice. Only realistic. Seen it too many times. I think Clay knows what he's getting into; he's smart enough to have said he's a bit scared of the elliptical. I like him so I'm worried about him going from a relatively forgiving all F111 main to a not forgiving elliptical loaded at close to or above 1.4. If I didn't give a shit I wouldn't have posted anything.

I would rather bet that some 110lb girl on a 210ft rental (or, how very safe) will break her legs, cause she can not really control the thing, and does broad S-turns to approach, being blown backwards and scaring the shit out of the next load

Yeah, she should definitely be told to take up bowling.
pull and flare,
lisa
--

In reply to:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would rather bet that some 110lb girl on a 210ft rental (or, how very safe) will break her legs, cause she can not really control the thing, and does broad S-turns to approach, being blown backwards and scaring the shit out of the next load
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yeah, she should definitely be told to take up bowling.

Hey now I resemble that remark and have 0 landing injuries, oh wait....I had a stubbed toe, but that was on a 116.

Clay,
I'm downsizing from a falcon 195. I really like the looks of the heatwave canopies (and their price) , but I ordered a Hornet 170 instead. In a couple years I'll look at the heatwaves. I figure I'm too young to die. Getting all busted up doesn't sound like much fun either. To tell you the truth I don't know the first thing about flying a small high performance canopy. Maybe someday, but right now I'm gonna take it slow. If a person had the right kind of coaching, maybe it could be done safely. Listen to Chuck. He's probably forgot more about flying a canopy than I will ever know. Steve

Don't do it guy...
Down size with another square, like a Hornet. Do not jump to
an eliptical and downsize at the same time.
" I only have a C license, so I don't know shit..right?"
RIGHT!!!!

Skydiving is not a static excercise with discrete predictability...

Clay you know my feelings... if you want to go full elliptical, let me know, I'm looking at going Semi and would have to let my elliptical go if I do.
BTW before you do get your life insurance up to date...
Cause I don't wanna come back down from this cloud... ~ Bush