justinbuss

Triple-risers for newbies?

OK, I have read all the posts I could find on these forums about triple risers. Their advantages over regular risers, their disadvantages etc. etc.
But I have yet to find anybody post an opinion about whether or not they are suitable for low-time jumpers. I currently have 35 jumps.
I recently ordered a new harness/container and reserve, but wanted to start off with a second-hand main untill I had enough experience to downsize. I found a Hornet 190 which is exactly right for me (correct wingloading according to my instructors and has great reviews etc.). The thing is that the guy selling it has trip-risers on it and is selling them with the canopy. I just want to know if I should use those risers or stick with the ones that come with the harness/container.
Any advice or random musings appreciated.
Justin
I find sometimes it's easy to be myself.
Sometimes I find it's better to be somebody else. - Dave Matthews Band

Since I will be packing myself that's not one of my biggest concerns. I'll know what to do with them when packing, I am just not too sure about what to do with them when flying ;)

A packer who packs tandems can pack triple risers: put the riser brake loop through the eye on the brake line, then put the brake loop through the riser guide ring. Now it looks just like the set-up on a tandem riser.
You don't have to do anything special about flying triple risers. Any different feel from the risers will be lost in the much different feel of a different canopy.
On the other hand, for the size canopy you have, there's no great advantage to using triples, and you may find the brake-setting hassle not worth it.
Mark

>But I have yet to find anybody post an opinion about whether or not they are suitable for low-time jumpers. I currently have 35 jumps.
I would advise you not use them. They make even large canopies fly differently. I don't use triple risers on my skydiving rig, but I do use zoo toggles on my BASE righ which effectively gives you the same thing (even more so, since the brake lines release completely.) The canopy flies differently when you do that, and you may not be able to anticipate it.
-bill von

for the size canopy you have, there's no great advantage to using triples

That's the kind of thing I wanted to hear, not all the bullsit about packing. I pack my own shit, and I don't care if it takes an extra five seconds to set the brakes.
If there's no great advantage, then fine, I'll use the stock risers till I know the canopy well enough to try the trips.