jclalor

Camera Jumps.

Still flunked english. At 58 i get to vote over 18 since you don't have an upper number. I qualify for all catagories.

I'd let someone jump a camera sooner if they didn't use an AAD. :o If newer jumpers knew they were going to die if they didn't open a parachute they might be less in a hurry to add complications and distractions to their skydives.

Yes I'm kidding, sorta. I truly believe AADs have changed the psychology of skydiving.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Up to your DZ S&TA.

I attached a GoPro somewhere around skydive 6X after my first cutaway so I could have a video logbook to debrief from. I put in some hours of research into safety (i.e. I used Grellfab mount from get-go). As opposed to some jumpers I know that had a cutaway on jump 201 because of a wrap on their brand new GoPro mount (good thing they waited until jump 200 and were so eager to jump a GoPro they decided nothing bad happened in 200 jumps and they didn't actually need to think shit through).

While this is anecdotal, a much more reasonable approach would be a "camera course" where risk factors and mitigation techniques are discussed - similar to canopy course that's required for a B license now.

In before people start accusing me of having "mad skillz".

How about adding a question the above answers relate too...

For what its worth I was well over 200 jumps before i got myself an action camera. I did one jump with one around 200 jumps but at the time the added gear seemed like a hassle to me.

My countries rules require the following for camera jumps although these i suspect are often not all followed.
- Equivalent of a B-licence in FS
- Hook knife
- Audible

Strongly recommended is a cutaway system (widely used) on the helmet and making the camera snag resistant.

The last one is very important IMO and mostly ignored because its much better to have to cut away your whole helmet than prevent the snag in the first place....

Obviously if a poll has too many options then it becomes unwieldy, but I think it also makes a big difference how the camera is worn.

Many of my friends now jump with a chest-mounted GoPro due to a rule change saying that cameras can only be worn on the top of a helmet if the helmet has a cutaway system. In addition to practically eliminating the snag risk, I find a chest-mount for a camera reduces distraction. The downside is of course that you can't alter the camera view by turning your head, but there's also an upside to that because it leaves the wearer free to concentrate on the important stuff rather than on getting the perfect shot. Once I've turned it on, the only time I think about the camera again is when I screw up and remember that it will have been caught on video. :)

MikeJD

Many of my friends now jump with a chest-mounted GoPro due to a rule change saying that cameras can only be worn on the top of a helmet if the helmet has a cutaway system. In addition to practically eliminating the snag risk, I find a chest-mount for a camera reduces distraction. The downside is of course that you can't alter the camera view by turning your head

Of course you can - by turning your body. I once saw a pretty good bigway jumper on a dive I was on start flying bizarrely - turning sideways before docking (often a sign of serious problems stopping) and approaching off-level, where previously he'd been pretty solid.

Afterwards I walked by where he was packing and sure enough, he had a chestmount. He got talked to later by the organizer.

But he got cool pictures.

MikeJD

Obviously if a poll has too many options then it becomes unwieldy, but I think it also makes a big difference how the camera is worn.

Many of my friends now jump with a chest-mounted GoPro due to a rule change saying that cameras can only be worn on the top of a helmet if the helmet has a cutaway system. In addition to practically eliminating the snag risk, I find a chest-mount for a camera reduces distraction. The downside is of course that you can't alter the camera view by turning your head, but there's also an upside to that because it leaves the wearer free to concentrate on the important stuff rather than on getting the perfect shot. Once I've turned it on, the only time I think about the camera again is when I screw up and remember that it will have been caught on video. :)

We had a wingsuit bigway jump Oct 7-9. Many of us used cameras for just to have record of the jumps. More than once, the video was used to discover what happened regarding some safety concern. The camera's objective view and memory are much better than mine.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”