cameramonkey

looking for a comfy rig

One word... Wings. Call my friend Roy Torgierson at 1.877.Top.Rigs. He is the largest distributor of Wings Containers in the world. Great prices and great service. He also has several highly rated canopies in stock as well as gear.
Nathan

The Wings packs nearly the same as a Javelin. If yor rigger can't pack a Javelin you need to look for a new rigger. The split freebag is a riggers dream IMHO. It makes bagging the canopy SO much easier then the complete molar bags everyone else uses. 2 pin containters and those with exposed pop tops are WAY harder to pack and look nice IMHO. Anyone can pack them, but making it look nice is the trick. Not many people can pack them, I refuse to learn on them because I can't make it look nice enough for my liking. I've tried the same rig like 5 times and always have to call my teacher over to make it look good.
Cause I don't wanna come back down from this cloud... ~ Bush

cameramonkey,
You did not say how big you are.
Some manufacturers are better at fitting big guys and others are better at fitting small people.
If you are big like me, (6' tall, 190 pounds with broad shoulders) then you will be most comfortable with an Infinity or Voodoo. Both have shoulder yokes that fit gracefully on large shoulders.
Will someone please explain where all this nastiness against Wings started?
I have only packed a few Wings, but found them slightly easier to pack than Javelins. If your rigger cannot pack a Javelin, then he needs to get with the 1980s!

well .. can't really address the rigger aspects ... but pricewise, my VooDoo was in the same vicinity as other popular rigs I priced ... and it IS comfy and freefly friendly
As long as you are happy with yourself ... who cares what the rest of the world thinks?

I think Wings is a good choice, but if price is such a big concern then perhaps you should have a look at the VortexII from ChuteShop in South Africa. Their prices recently went up a bit, but I think they might still beat the Wings. Also according to my rigger they're reasonably easy to pack.
As far as comfort goes, the Vortex is the most comfortable rig I have ever fitted ... bar none.
Just my .02
I find sometimes it's easy to be myself.
Sometimes I find it's better to be somebody else. - Dave Matthews Band

>Ok, after listening to my riggers bitch and moan (and more
>importantly, charge me more) I am starting to look towards
>replacing my racer.
Over feeding your rigger is not a bad thing, and I assume we are talking about minor amounts such as multiples of ten$, which is cheap when you consider the consequences, right?
Most rigs will be comfortable if the harness is properly sized, which can be an issue if you have to send your rig across the country for adjustments. I like my Racers for the flexible feel unlike the "trough" style containers, which accounts for most of the rigs out there. The JumpShack has been around for many years, they be around for more, and their service is first-class too. Good luck!
--
RMS

Between my wife and I, we have a Migage M2, G3, a Stunts, Reflex, Infinity, and a Vortex II. We are pretty much the same size.
No question about it, we both agree the Vortex II is the most comfortable and was the best buy for the dollar.
Skydiving is not a static excercise with discrete predictability...

If you are looking for the most comfortable and the highest quality of service and product get the Mirage G3 with the Unisyn harness. You won't be sorry. Plus the delivery time is great!

I recommended the Wings because it was a first new container and the price was one of his top needs. However, my first rig was a G3 and I will never own anything else. I love it.
Nathan

I got a new Mirage a few months ago. I probably have 30 jumps on it so far and I'm waiting for it to break in and get comfy.
It pulls on my shoulders and sometimes borders on hurting. I *think* its just stiff from being new, but I'm beginning to wonder...
At this point, my old Dolphin is more comfortable!
I havnt tried most of the others, but I tried a Vector 3 once and it was WAY comfy the way the shoulder straps curved in a little.

I got a new Mirage a few months ago. I probably have 30 jumps on it so far and I'm waiting for it to break in and get comfy.

My new Mirage has about 50 jumps on it and it has never been uncomfortable. I have to chime in and agree with those who said to make sure that your legstraps aren't too tight. They should be snug but not tight.
You should be able to get your flattened hand under the leg-straps (think running a seat-belt through).
Kris

I really gotta hand it to Mirage Systems.
Very shortly after I posted about my rig being uncomfortable I received an e-mail from Mirage Customer Service stating that they had read my post and asking that I take photos of me wearing the rig, new measurements, and send the rig in so that it can be checked.
My gf and I have both dealt with Mirage customer service since we got our rigs and they have been nothing but helpful. Still, for a company to go out of its way to solicit a return and possible repair goes above and beyond the call!
This is truly how you build lifelong customers.
Thanks Mirage!
JC Cranford

They are great, I had emailed them saying I thought my rigger had messed up the reserve pack job and they told me to do the same thing. Then after spending 30 or so min talking to Jeff after they got my rig, it was fixed and returned to me 2 weeks later. They totally rule. Plus as a bonus they hooked me up with those new SS legstrap friction adapters.