shibu

Exercises to reduce Shoulder pain

Shoulder pain seems to be common to skydivers. My right shoulder started to hurt when I began jumping last year & took months to subside. I have only made a few jumps this year & the pain seems to be coming back.
The pain is mild & doesn't prevent movements. I have read that strength training seems to help.

Does anyone have any specific shoulder exercises that helped them prevent/recover from jumping related shoulder pain?

you probably have an anterior muscular imbalance. Check out the position of the humerus at rest. If it is pulled forward you definitely have an anterior deltoid and/or pectoral major imbalance (tightness that needs stretching).

This tightness will cause impingement and inflammation when working the joint through its ROM.

Rotator cuff rehab exercises would probably be a good first place to look. The stretching and strengthening are pretty comprehensive for the shoulder as a whole and will help for most shoulder issues.

Thanks. I'll look those up.

you probably have an anterior muscular imbalance. Check out the position of the humerus at rest. If it is pulled forward you definitely have an anterior deltoid and/or pectoral major imbalance (tightness that needs stretching).

This tightness will cause impingement and inflammation when working the joint through its ROM.

The humerus does appear to pulled forward at rest. The clavicle's position also appears to be somewhat asymmetrical compared to the left side.

Do you think the rotator cuff stretching / strengthening exercises would work for this as well?

Wow, must be a whole lot of clairvoyant MDs up in here.

I went to an orthopod and got it checked out when I hurt my shoulder. Well, actually, I dithered around a bunch and did who-knows-what that didn't do much help for far too long, and then I went to the orthopod. At that point, the doc actually examined my shoulder, took x-rays and an MRI, and we discussed treatment options.

But, hell, I didn't hurt my shoulder skydiving, and I'm a low-timer, so wtf do I know...

The humerus does appear to pulled forward at rest. The clavicle's position also appears to be somewhat asymmetrical compared to the left side.

Do you think the rotator cuff stretching / strengthening exercises would work for this as well?

I had both of my shoulders pulled forward a few inches, did a treatment with the Graston technique and walked out with my shoulders closer to normal. They're still a bit forward but normal as far as the general consensus is.

I have home exercises that I do every day and have been seeing the PT at least weekly for about 2-3 months now. Still having some pain but learning ways around pissing it off while I am treating it.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

"Wow, must be a whole lot of clairvoyant MDs up in here."

Yep...

"so wtf do I know..."

You knew enough to get a competent evaluation. You're doing fine, Tim.

To the OP: The shoulder has a greater range of motion at the cost of stability. Doing the wrong exercises, or simply taking a wait & see attitude, can both do further damage. Go get checked out by an Orthopaedist.

Does anyone have any specific shoulder exercises that helped them prevent/recover from jumping related shoulder pain?

Yes.

I have rotator cuff issues. Not specifically skydiving related, but the stress jumping puts on them doesn't help.

My doc pulled and twisted and manipulated my are while asking "Does this hurt?" and "How hard can you pull against this without pain?"
She used that to decide that there's no tearing and only minor impingement. She said that a MRI was an opition, but she was confident in her diagnosis and didn't think it was necessary.
She gave me a set of exercises to build up my shoulder muscles and said that if there wasn't improvement to come back and she would run me through the MRI.

The exercises did wonders, and I'm far better than I was before.
The exercises are just the basic shoulder rehab stuff. But I would suggest getting a real diagnosis before just grabbing a couple pounds of weight and swinging your arms around.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

that was a shot in the dark by the way but in this modern world of computer use and other commiserate activities it seems the majority of our population has some anterior delt imbalance.

I would recommend going to see a sports therapist.

i assumed it was a shot in the dark. Still, I have been noticing the asymmetry in my shoulders & clavicle since the pain started last year.

"Wow, must be a whole lot of clairvoyant MDs up in here."

Yep...

"so wtf do I know..."

You knew enough to get a competent evaluation. You're doing fine, Tim.

To the OP: The shoulder has a greater range of motion at the cost of stability. Doing the wrong exercises, or simply taking a wait & see attitude, can both do further damage. Go get checked out by an Orthopaedist.

Thanx. Will do.

Yes.

I have rotator cuff issues. Not specifically skydiving related, but the stress jumping puts on them doesn't help.

My doc pulled and twisted and manipulated my are while asking "Does this hurt?" and "How hard can you pull against this without pain?"
She used that to decide that there's no tearing and only minor impingement. She said that a MRI was an opition, but she was confident in her diagnosis and didn't think it was necessary.
She gave me a set of exercises to build up my shoulder muscles and said that if there wasn't improvement to come back and she would run me through the MRI.

The exercises did wonders, and I'm far better than I was before.
The exercises are just the basic shoulder rehab stuff. But I would suggest getting a real diagnosis before just grabbing a couple pounds of weight and swinging your arms around.

Thanks to everyone who replied.

I made 13 jumps in the last 2 days and the shoulder feels fine!

I'm still going to sched an appt with a sports med doc, but since the pain, at least temporarily, seems to have subsided I think I am going to try some basic light weight shoulder exercises while I am waiting for my appointment.

I'm still going to sched an appt with a sports med doc, but since the pain, at least temporarily, seems to have subsided I think I am going to try some basic light weight shoulder exercises while I am waiting for my appointment.

If you choose to try PT on your own, be very careful.

My doctor was pretty sure her diagnosis was correct without having an MRI done (and she was right). But she was very, very adamant that she wasn't sure and told me:

Start with very light weights (1 or 2 lbs) and only a few reps.
And if there is any pain during the lift, stop!!!.

This sort of thing is not a "No pain, no gain" excercise. Pain indicates further damage is being done.

Disclaimer: I'm not a doctor. I didn't even sleep in a Holiday Inn last night. This is just my personal experience with shoulder issues.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo