eml

7 & 9 cells

No...you are talking about canopies with way too many differences. 7 Cells tend to open very snivelly. IE Omega, Spectre. 7 Cells tend to have a steeper glide angle and react a little differen't to braking. 9 Cell squares don't snivel AS MUCH. More shallow full flight glide. These are very general observations and can be radically differen't depending on the canopy manufacturer.
"I only have a C license, so I don't know shit..right?"-Clay

Sorry, got side tracked :-) back to the question: would an F-111, say a PD-190 glide the same as a 0-P lets say, triatholon 190, all other things being equal? I honestly don't know, but I would put my $$$ on the F-111, 9-Cell outgliding the 0-P 7 Cell. Not very helpful, but it couldn't be that hard to find two people w/ the same size canopys, one an F-111, 9-Cell and the otherr a 0-P, 7-Cell w/ the same wing loading and roughly the same # of jumps on each and fly them end cell to end cell and see which one out-glides the other. Any test-jump volunteers?
Hook

I don't have a great deal of square canopy time. (only about 120 jumps on a square). I normally jump a Falcon 195 (F-111 nine cell). I jumped a friends Triathalon 190 a while back. It seemed very similiar to my Falcon. It seemed about the same dive rate and forward speed. It did have a much nicer flare and landing though. I only made one jump on it. You might want to ask someone with more comparison jumps between the two.

I've jumped the falcon also.. The Triathlon will slow down a bit more.. Get a little better penetration in the wind. Hold up in turbulence better "more solid" It has better low speed capabilities.. From my experience ....
Rhino
Blue Skies and Smooth Rides!!

You are discussing two different variables in the same thread.
First, new F-111 fabric flies about the same as Zero Porousity fabric. After about 70 jumps (F-111 fabric) openings will soften. After 700 jumps the F-111 canopy becomes a car cover. By 700 jumps, the F-111 canopy will have a steeper glide and less flare power.
Secondly, most 9-cells will out-glide most 7-cells.
As for the side discussion on openings .... sorry dude, there are far too many different classes of 7-cells to generalize about openings. Specialized 7-cells are built for CReW, BASE, accuracy, reserves and casual skydiving. Opening characteristics vary from snivel to snap depending upon: slider size, line trim, nose design and packing technique.

>since a zero p glides better than f111, wouldn't a zero 7 cell glide similar to a f111 9 cell?
Hard to say. A canopy rigged with a steeper angle of incidence will descend faster, and have a poorer glide ratio, than one with a shallower rig angle. A new F111 will outglide an old F111 of the same type. A ZP will outglide both, although will be similar to new F111. A 9-cell will outglide an otherwise identical 7-cell. An elliptical 7 cell will tend to outglide a square 7-cell, if the aspect ratio is higher(which is usually the case.)
-bill von