MattyB

Cat C jump - zoned out?

Hi, being my first post to the forum its also to ask for advise about my scariest jump and my best jump, although what should have been scary wasnt and whatshould have been fun scared me..

I did my Cat C1 and the exit when perfect. I was to maintain heading and be released. I maintained my heading but after doing my initial COA I just zoned out and stared out at the distance. I looked at my altimeter but I wasnt registering anything. I was so stuck on flying on my own and being in this sense of calm that I had to be reminded at 4500 to pull..

I did right away and had a moderate line twist.. Something that should probably be scary for a third time jumper. I was so unbelievably calm about it that only after I got home did I start thinking about it and it scared me that I wasnt there for the event...

I was passed on to Cat D and my instructors chalked it up to me not making a jump in a few weeks due to a hand injury requiring stitches.

They were happy with every part of my jump other than being slow, I actually scared myself since I am VERY aware in what are otherwise stressful situations and this time I was off in la la land.

I have to ask, is this normal? The jump was so smooth and without complication that it seems like I had too much time to just fall and check out the scenery. I was going to jump tomorrow but I need a minute to at the very least chill my self out from the fact that I checked out and I could have had a bad situation.

Its prolly quite a common thing on at least one jump in your early days.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, as just the fact that you are posting about it shows you have thought about it, and are aware of it. Whether you realise it or not, you will have learnt quite a lot from experiencing that, and I would suggest your next jump will surprise you, in terms of being a lot more switched on.

One thing you must do is stay aware of your altitude, and at pull time, pull. I thin kyou will be OK next time

Line twists?. No biggie. Make sure you check the canopy, and don't focus your eyes on the twists until you've done that canopy check.

Good luck.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

I had to be reminded at 4500 to pull..

Okay, so you had to be reminded. You still saved your own life. That's a good skydive.

Part of why you are jumping with instructors right now is because sometimes people do exactly what you did. Completely normal and within the realms of what instructors can expect of someone doing their third skydive.

Now get off the internet, get out to the dz and do your Cat D. It's gonna be your funnest skydive yet. B|

Thanks for the replies and support. I am a perfectionist and tend to beat up on myself for errors while never praising myself for the things I did right.

A day to think about it has got me back in the mindset I should be in, wanting to have fun and progress.

I had two iffy exits prior and was totally hung up on dialing that part in while not preparing myself for the rest of the jump the same way mentally.

For the snowboarders or skiers here that like to hit the park, you know you tend to focus on your jump and landing but not so much on how you get there. When your new to it you only think about getting there because it isnt muscle memory yet. I think Im putting my focused mindset of sports Im more experienced at towards this one that Im very green to.

Im going to take this as a great jump that reminded me to stay aware. Im sure next time Ill be checking my altimeter a little too much :)

On my C1 or C2 I kind of zoned out like you mentioned. I totally forgot to do the practice pull. I was aware, but I just came out of the plane and just hung out there. The instructors hand signal was kind of like a "hey fucker pay attention" and I did a practice pull. Shortly after they released and I was on my own. I even forgot to lock on at 5500' and pull at 5000'. I ended up adding 500' to it. It wasn't bad, it just threw my instructors off. It honestly felt overwhelming that jump. I did the other C1/C2 shortly after that and did great.

Stay positive and keep the basics in mind. That's what counts.

-Panda
I hate landing in planes.

Hi, being my first post to the forum its also to ask for advise about my scariest jump and my best jump, although what should have been scary wasnt and whatshould have been fun scared me..

I did my Cat C1 and the exit when perfect. I was to maintain heading and be released. I maintained my heading but after doing my initial COA I just zoned out and stared out at the distance. I looked at my altimeter but I wasnt registering anything. I was so stuck on flying on my own and being in this sense of calm that I had to be reminded at 4500 to pull..

I did right away and had a moderate line twist.. Something that should probably be scary for a third time jumper. I was so unbelievably calm about it that only after I got home did I start thinking about it and it scared me that I wasnt there for the event...

I was passed on to Cat D and my instructors chalked it up to me not making a jump in a few weeks due to a hand injury requiring stitches.

They were happy with every part of my jump other than being slow, I actually scared myself since I am VERY aware in what are otherwise stressful situations and this time I was off in la la land.

I have to ask, is this normal? The jump was so smooth and without complication that it seems like I had too much time to just fall and check out the scenery. I was going to jump tomorrow but I need a minute to at the very least chill my self out from the fact that I checked out and I could have had a bad situation.

Ask your instructors about sensory overload.

If it has been a while and this was only your 3rd jump, it is not impossible to blank out.
This was also your first release dive. lots of stress and anxiety.

Did you remember ANYTHING on debrief?

The fact that you reacted when you were reminded shows the instructors that you were still "there."

As I understand it, you are not going to do C2 dive?
If you look at page 47 of the Skydiver's information manual, You'll see that Category C is a two jump progression.

C2 basically the same jump but with one instructor.
If they felt you were good enough to progress to Category D. I wouldn't go too crazy about it.

Next time, focus on being in the moment. Sensory overload can act as a mind eraser.

Disclaimer: I am not inferring that my advice is the correct advice. I am just reading what you posted on the internet and making ASSUMPTIONS about what happened. Talk to your instructors and voice your concerns with them before you make you next jump.
My photos

My Videos

On I think my 4th jump, I got so excited about remaining stable on my own and doing the motions, I never once looked at my altimeter after the initial COA out ofthe poane. That is, until the instructor looked at me weird and did a subtle "wave-off" to remind me that is what I should be doing, heh. Since then, I have almost religiously checked my altimeter every few seconds.

As was stated above, that you are so worried about what many others probably wouldnt even care about shows you have learned a lot from the experience and will likely maintain even more situational awareness than before. And not to worry, that didnt making skydiving any less fun to me :) .
Weeeee!