DickMcMahon

Need opinions on Sabre 2

Yeah, I'm interested in this thread as well... I'm going to be getting a new canopy sometime soon & was going to go with the hornet, but there's this little voice in my head whispering "sabre2."
Are there any benefits of one over the other? I know that they're supposed to be very similar, but I was wondering if the Sabre2 was worth the extra $530 it would cost me. Is there anyone that has jumped both at the same wingloading that can give a good comparison?
Thanks all!
"Pammi's Hemp/Skydiving Jewelry"

I think you would be pleased about how much easier the Hornet is to pack compared to the Sabre2. I believe packing
volume is also smaller. The Hornet's performance and safety is well demonstrated. The Sabre2 is too new in my opinion to purchase. I would feel much safer buying a canopy that has an established track record.
Skydiving is not a static excercise with discrete predictability...

Properly loaded the Sabre 2 is an exellent choice for a person off student status. Not only is it very high quality, the performance envelope is huge. Regarding the comments about the canopy being too new and not having a track record, consider this: Performance Designs puts more research and development into their products than the majority of other companies. They design and build the canopies that most other companies imitate but rarely duplicate. The fact that they are the industry leader is track record enough. That is not to say other companies don't build a great products. The sabre 2 was devoloped with years of research and this is reflected in it's awesome opening and flight characteristics. My advice, get a demo, jump each canopy @ the same wing-loading. See for yourself. I have a feeling that you'll soon understand the age old saying: you get what you pay for!!!!
Blue Skies ! (or at least a couple of holes in the clouds)

"My advice, get a demo, jump each canopy @ the same wing-loading. See for yourself."

I don't mean to sound antagonistic, but have you done this with the Sabre2 & Hornet? I would love to get a demo of each... the problem is, being in South Africa, PISA doesn't have a demo program. Yes, they do offer a money back guarantee, but an established demo program makes me feel more comfortable.
I'm certainly not opposed to paying a little extra for a dynamically superior canopy, but if the differences are minimal, aside from resale value, I don't see the point.
Anyway, as to the original question from Dick... in my opinion it depends on the individual, how often they jump, & their training to this point. my first canopy off student status was a traditional Sabre 190, my exit weight is also right at 225, and I had absolutely no problems making the switch. Actually, it was a hell of a lot more fun to fly & the flare power was amazing compared to the Skymaster 260's and 230's I'd flown. I think that a Sabre2 loaded at 1.07:1 is perfectly acceptable for a canopy just off student status, yes it will be more responsive than my traditional Sabre, but I think you'll enjoy the change & will be well within an acceptable margin of safety. If I were you, I would even demo a 210 for a few weeks, get as many jumps as you can on it, then consider ordering a 190... again, like I said, this all depends on your flying skills now & how often you'll be jumping. Talk to your JM's or DZO (people that know you & your canopy skills), and take their advice to heart.
Blues!
Merrick
"Pammi's Hemp/Skydiving Jewelry"

I'm 225 exit weight as well and recently ordered the Saber2 190. I have about 75 jumps. I've demo'd the Saber2 190 about a half dozen times. Absolutely love it. Much better glide than a spectre (7cell), more responsive, better flare, and all around more fun. While at the same time, not scaring the crap out of me. I would suggest renting or demoing for awhile before buying new though. Even getting a 190 everyone's been telling me I should have waited to buy until I downsize again, but personally, I'm in no rush to go smaller. I didn't go to 190 until about 60 jumps.
I wouldn't buy anything new until you've got a good number of jumps and are progressing as a canopy pilot, otherwise you may regret the larger size, or if you just go smaller to avoid that regret, you might hurt yourself.
I did the demo program with Square3. $4000 deposit on new gear purchase = 6 months free rentals. If you don't have something similar available to you, may want to consider a used 210 of a similar canopy (Saber1 maybe) and then buy the new one when you downsize.
cielos azules y cerveza fría
-Kevin

The Sabre 2 is a fine parachute, but it was built to compete against the terribly popular Hornet and the Icarus Safire. In my opinion, which I have stated repeatedly on these forums, the Hornet is the clear choice for that first or intermediate rig. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Sabre 2's openings or flight characteristics, but I would NEVER pay the $350 or more difference just to have it because it says "PD" on the side. As far as the extensive testing, etc goes, every company tests their products extensively prior to release.
My dad bought a Sabre 2, as did my uncle; both of them love their mains. Both got fantastic deals on them too, as they are extremely "hooked up", but my dad almost shit himself when I told him that he would have been just as happy with a Hornet and he could have saved tons of cash. Oh well, like they say: "to each his own."
Chuck
My webpage HERE