Bushmasta

Wings Container

I was about to buy an articulated Wings container b/c of the good reviews on DZ.com and the price had the javelin beat. I have spoke with the guys at my itty bitty dz and they caution against it. one owns a wings and is pleased with it, other than the reserve flap always coming untucked in flight. he said it was a common feature with wings that is to be expected. have you experienced such a problem? is it common? thanks.
i'm knew to the sport and this is to be my first container. i only have 36 jumps. thanks for your help.
jacques

If you are refering to adding anything to the tuck tab on the reserve, he better be a rigger and know what he's doing. It would totally suck to pull your reserve and not have it deploy because the tab is jammed in too tight preventing the reserve from poping.
Political Correctness-At least one person at any one time will be offended by something

I have a Wings container and my reserve flap comes untucked also. I talked to a rigger and he said it's because the way the reserve is packed. If it's packed right, it won't come untucked. I too bought my rig from Rig's an Thing's and got a great price but had to wait four months instead of the promised six to eight weeks. It was worth it though, looks good, constructed better.

jacques,
I ordered my Wings container last month. I should have it by the end of this month. Like you, all I've heard GREAT things about the container. The only thing negative I've heard was about the PC spring (reserve), which as I found has been corrected. That was a problem w/ the old container. On another note, Roy from Rigs-n-things (www.para-service.com). I've also contaced Heather @ Sunrise Rigging...both have great customer service. I'll let you know how things turn out.
**I'm a Pschydiver!
Majdi

Two things can cause a reserve flap to pop loose: poor design or poor packing.
Perhaps poor design is not the best term because it takes most factories 2 or 3 years to debug a pattern set. Then every time they introduce a new size, it takes another year or 2 to debug that pattern set. For example: I joined (Nov. 1994) Rigging Innovations shortly after they introduced the '94 Talon (early 1994), but they had not fully de-bugged the pattern set until they introduced the Talon 2 in January 1997. In the interm I replaced an aweful lot of side and top flaps, while re-locating a whole hockey sock of Cypri. Some of our problems were caused by canopy combinations that were not on our charts. Half our problems were caused by field riggers who never read the manual, much less phoned the factory. Some of those pack jobs were so ugly they never crossed the designer's mind in his worst drunken nightmare! For example: a reserve closing loop twice as long - as specified in the manual - distorts the reserve container so badly that tuck tabs become useless and harness fit is warped beyond recognition!
One of the last things I did before leaving Rigging Innovations was to write the Talon 2 packing manual. The new manual incorporated all the lessons we learned to simplify packing Flexons, '94 Talons and Talon 2s.
Sorry for the digression. The first few Wings that I packed had short reserve pin covers, but not short enough to be serious. And I never noticed any problems with pilotchute springs.

I've never had my flaps come open that I know of, hell the main flap stays closed during deployment the only time it's open is during pin checks and closing the container. This is my first rig so I don't have a lot to compare it too (rentals and student gear can't come close), but I love my wings
JG

Yeah...it's a strange thing. Jumped a demo Wings and when I went to repack, did a double take on my main flap considering it was still closed and I was standing there alive.
Ordered my very own Wings as well. Definitely a comfy container and easier to pack then Javelin. The main bag is more square then rectangular, makes getting it in the bag easier IMO.
cielos azules y cerveza fría
-Kevin

The main flap on my Mirage stays closed on deployment as well.

And so does the main flap on e.g. my Teardrop SF. It doesn't necessarily have to open during deployment. In this case it has the only function of protecting the closing loop and a piece of bridle.
Blues Marcus
--
Perfect speed, my son, is being there. - Jonathan Livingston Seagull

I love my wings. I got it about 5 months ago and have about 150 jumps on it. I've never had the main or reserve pin protector flaps come open in freefall, and I haven't had any kind of problem with it. It took 6 weeks for them to make and deliver to me and is exactly what I wanted. I owned a Javelin J-2 before and loved it, but it wasn't nearly what my Wings is. I highly recommend it.
Blue Skies,
Adam

If the main pin cover tucks into the same flap, then it can comfortably stay closed and the main will open fine.
This style of main pin cover is found on most modern rigs: Advance, Genera, new Mirage, Teardrop Superfly, Telesis 2, Vector III, Voodoo, etc.
The young Mr. Farrington who builds Infinities claims that he invented this pin cover while working at the Vector factory. Why he does not install it on new Infinities is a mystery to me. At least he has learned how to tailor an older-style pin cover so that it stays shut most of the time.

The young Mr. Farrington who builds Infinities claims that he invented this pin cover while working at the Vector factory.
Just a short note about the young Mr. Farrington. During my employment at RWS, young Kelly would spent as much time as he could get away with looking over my shoulder and talking shop. I really don't recall ever learning any thing from him. I do recall that on more than one occasion after showing him something new, he would later clam it as his idea. This never did really bothered me.
Nothing against Kelly, he's a good rigger, builds an ok rig, and is a good friend of mine.
But for the record, I still remember the day I put the first prototype of that center flap configuration together.

I just tried my friend's Wings container and loved it so much that I decided to purchase one. I found out from Heather that a few places are offering 30% off but this guy Matt Shanley (works at Wings but is a dealer on the side) offered me the absolute best price you could get in the world. He offered the container to me at a base of 30% off. Then, the options were sold to me at DEALER'S COST! My container which had almost every option on it was less than $1,200 (including S&H). also, he will put together your rig if you want to for a mere $60 (most riggers charge $100+).
I highly recommend going through him. Just call up Sunrise and ask for Matt Shanley. Sunrise Riggings Int'l. phone number is:
(813) 788-1910
Blue Skies, Soft Landings,
Lewis
College Park Skydiving Crew - UMCP
www.inform.umd.edu/StudentOrg/cpsc