mixedup

Practice Skydive Altimeter for iPhone (altitude awareness)

At the risk of being labelled a geek (oh well) I admit during AFF I knocked up a practice skydiving altimeter (not a real altimeter) for the iPhone. I lost altitude awareness on AFF stage 3 and was really nervous for the next jump. So I knocked this up to practice with. I think it did kind of help, going through the dives & remembering to look/read the alti, but with hands that were moving/mimic'ing the actual dive.

This won't of use to anyone beyond AFF/AFP, but during these first 9 jumps this might be of use. Anyway had some fun learning how to put it up on the app store.

http://www.skydivingaltimeter.com/

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=463197450&mt=8
Parachutist Game IOS Android YouT

At the risk of being labelled a geek...

You are, but that's a good thing!

I knocked up a practice skydiving altimeter for the iPhone.

Nice work. Not all DZs have those custom made practice altimeters, but with iPhones becoming more prevalent it might make practice altimeters more available.

I didn't download it, but from the description and screenshot it looks great. Nice work!

A Windows/ Mac version would also be welcomed, I reckon. After all, you can visualise anywhere and sitting at your office desk is no exception. It'd bring a whole new meaning to clockwatching at work. :)

Only problem is I am used to working in meters and not feet.[:/]

Doesn't seem like too much of a deal to add metres as an option, and that would greatly increase the user base - although it would need a new skin for the altimeter graphic.

Still, it's easy for me to say - I'm not the developer. :D

Only problem is I am used to working in meters and not feet.[:/]

Oh. Probably should have thought of that one. Will add it to the list to update.

Re non-iPhone: if I had the time...took me quite a bit to get the hang of programming in objective-c for iPhone/IOS :). Pity there's not a magic button to compile to whatever platform you want.
Parachutist Game IOS Android YouT

howzabout a Droid app?

Just drink the cool-aid and get an iPhone... :P

I did.
It doesn't work in most of the places I go, even on the same carrier.
And I have a wrist band holder for my Droid so I can watch how-to videos during an AFF jump.

Nice app.

My suggestions:
- custom fall rate
- turning the beeps on/off (maybe in the heights list: "off; 6,000; 5,500; etc ...")
"The 'perfect' parachute jump was thought to be one where the opening shock and touchdown were simultaneous" -Lyle Cameron, ~1965
---
Falling-With-Style.com

A Windows/ Mac version would also be welcomed, I reckon.

Yes, that would be great! I had to replace my phone recently and considered splurging on an iPhone, but the money I was blowing on learning a certain sport ;)made it out of the question...
My blog with the skydiving duck cartoons.

During a rainy day I made a metric altimeter in SVG, so it could run in a lot of different browsers:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4048510/alt_m.svg

It does not have a GUI to change the parameters, but they are in the beginning of the file if someone wants to make a custom version.

Later I also made an imperial version:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4048510/alt_f.svg
and a version that could be controlled via an admin interface on another computer, but after a web server upgrade that doesn't seem to work reliably anymore. It simply made an ajax call to the server looking for a control file and an admin page updated the control file (via a php script) with start/deploy/stop commands for the clients. I can send the code to that version if someone is interested (the current admin interface controls all clients so I don't want to share my installation).

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=elevation.general&hl=en

Altimeter app for Android. Haven't testedt it yet but the reviews state it's pretty solid.

I hope you realize how unsuitable that is?

This thread is about a ground training utility. NOT about a real altimeter. Anyone using a phone or any other GPS device as a skydiving altimeter has a death wish.