mgaillar

Pull-Up Chord Material

I 'was' using the tried & proven type IIA coreless-flattened line, (formally called--PC crown line) for pull-up cords. I'm now using 550 lb Spectra that is configured into a continuous loop that is 17" long laid flat for a pull-up cord, and I love it, big time.
I'm also using 1000 lb Spectra for my closing loop--seems much more durable than type IIA Nylon line.
(also, pin pulls easier with Spectra)
Dave Brownell

Dave, What do you think about using Vectran or HMA as closing loop material? I'm thinking about putting 825 closing loop on the next time it needs replaced, what do you think of 825 vs 1000?
Murphy's Laws of Love - If the person isn't taken, there's a reason for that...

I invested in a Powertool, and I couldn't be happier. Well, if the rig packed itself I'd be happier but we all know that's not gonna happen. I know Paragear sells them, there's also an ad for em in Parachutist every month. They're $15 or $17. It's a piece of Spectra attatched to a stainless steel rod. People will argue that you could make one for a lot less, but I'm lazy. It makes it much easier to close a rig with a tight closing loop, and it seems to help the closing loop last longer.
Mike D-23312
"It's such a shame to spend your time away like this...existing." JMH

I would not approve of the use of Vectran or HMA for a closing loop, as both of these Polymers have poor abrasion resistance, along with a 'brittleness factor.'
The following are simple instructions for making a Spectra closing loop.
To make a Spectra closing loop--Use a piece of 1000 lb Spectra that is at least 14" long. Finger trap the line into itself from mid length, (end toward end) and bring the loop size down to about 1" laid flat dimension. (use a wire fid/end loop) 'Milk' the line down with your finger in the loop. A 'tack' at the eye bottom is not needed, as both ends of the line will be secured in the knot.
Use a figure eight knot for the stop knot.
Dave Brownell

Power tool is OK. (I have one) I have heard is cuts closing loops more than a ribbon.

I always use my powertool when I pack my rig. I just changed from the closing loop that came with the rig because it was slightly frayed, and I was downsizing so I would have had to shorten it. I have almost 450 jumps on the rig. I've never heard of a closing loop lasting that long when using pull up cords. Of course I still flip the line underneath the pin before I remove it. YMMV
Mike D-23312
"It's such a shame to spend your time away like this...existing." JMH