mixedup

Practice Skydive Altimeter for Android too (in additional to iPhone)

I've had a few requests to be able to run the Practice Skydive Altimeter iPhone app on Android devices. So I made some time to do this and have stuck it on Google Play. So in summary for those learning and think this might be useful (which I found it was when I was doing AFF) the links are:

Click here to download for Android devices! http://bit.ly/PDJgaU
(e.g. Druid, NexusOne, Sensation, Galaxy Tab etc)

Click here to download for iOS devices! http://bit.ly/PysGf9
(e.g. iPhone, iPad etc)

Features:
* Metric and Feet support - custom altimeter face for each
* Jump height can be configured (e.g. 14,000 feet, or 4000m)
* Three simulated audible alert sounds can be configured. For example for:
- 1st: Breakoff, e.g. 5000 feet (or in meters)
- 2nd: Pull, e.g. 4000 feet (or in meters)
- 3rd: Warning, e.g. 1500 feet (or in meters)
* Fall Rate (Belly Flying, or FreeFly/HeadDown)
* Under canopy fallrate support

Oh, the Version 3 release for IOS is still in the "waiting review" stage with Apple. Seems to take days for them before they can review & release out a developers new version...(as at 24th Aug 2012)

V3 Images
[inline iPhoneScreenShoot1_320x480.png] [inline iPhoneScreenShoot3_320x480.png] [inline iPhoneScreenShoot2_320x480.png]
Parachutist Game IOS Android YouT

sweet little app...I will be using it to rehearse my AFF dive flows, it looks just like tha alti Im using, and for the price of a candy bar, I have no complaints at all...good job!

Airtwardo:"There is a bit of difference between a rigger with a nipper and a guy with 138 jumps and a swiss army knife...usually!"

Seriously, an alti sim? lmao.

Do you simulate reading a book too, before going on to the real book?

I used an old school analog version of this when I was a student. It was helpful to go through the dive flow in real time with my instructors or on my own. I think this is a nice additional tool for those of us who aren't too cool to visualize or dirt dive and find that it helps our performance. I probably wouldn't use it for myself now but I might with a student, and I sure as hell still simulate my skydives on the ground before I do the real thing. But then I find dirt doves to be a nice free way to improve the odds of a successful jump. Maybe I shouldn't bother and should go right into the "real thing.";)
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I know what you mean, but al lot of very novice jumpers overanalyze waaaay too much. So the more "tools" at that level of experience the more analizing is going on, and then they have to go do the next aff level.

From my own experience, 80% of getting through aff is to relax as best as possible and not to overthink.

That was what I wanted to convey, but then sarcasm took over. B|

Thanks, that's a handy tool.

We use a mechanical alti simulator. This might be much better, esp. with a wrist mount for the phone. I'll down load this and play around with it.

As an instructor, there is no such thing as too realistic of a simulation. The more senses involved correctly, the better.

:)

That is pretty neat! Both instructors and couches encourages me to go through the nect jump's dive flow over the week so I could be better prepared the that jump. It was lost when I was in the course, but they generally strap a simulated altimeter onto students ehen practicing dive flows during the FJC.

As a teacher, I can't imagine thinking too much about something is a bad thing, except when it leads to inaction when there needs to indeed be action!!
Weeeee!

Seriously, an alti sim? lmao.

Do you simulate reading a book too, before going on to the real book?

My skydiving AFF school used an altimeter simulator for altitude awareness practice. It was only clockwork but we used them to practice dive flow before our first jump.

This has utility and can offer better options for students too.