PalmettoTiger

getting a jumpsuit

There doesn't seem to be much information online about jumpsuits. No reviews here (they're not even listed in the reviews section), not many classifieds on DZ.com, and not many classifieds on enclave.com either. I know skydiving mag ran a good series on gear recently so I'm going to dig through my old issues and find them, but I'd like to know your opinions as well.
As far as RW suits, which manufacturers have high quality suits, good customer service, and decent order times? Or will I have to settle for two of those three attributes? ;) Also, what kind of extras are useful for low-timers, and what materials or options are going to slow down my fallrate? Are there any common mistakes people make when getting their first jumpsuit, or pitfalls I should avoid?
Thanks in advance for your help!
PTiger
I'm stepping through the door
And I'm floating in a most peculiar way

My RW suit is made by Tony suits.....I had fast turn around(about 3-4 weeks),great customer service(I just showed up and they measured me and gave me a little tour of there set up down there in Zhills), and I believe I got an excelent suit on top of it...all the pro's use em so they can't be all that bad ya know ;):)Now the only problem is I have about 150 or so jumps....and 120 of those are freefly with my JUMPBUBBLE(which I can't say enough about) so.....I cant really help you with such things as to how it lasts and jump numbers...although looking at airspeed and XL who use em...I would say they stand up to Heavy jumping well......oh I got booties on mine too....that took a bit to get used too....when you do some forward movement into my slot...and WOW what a diff from student stuff....way cool tracking that is for sure....that is all now
marc
"...a mind stretched with new idea's will never regain its shape"

It's actually called Shoe Goop, not sure what it actually is, but generally it's a gel like stuff that you coat shoe edges and stuff with that dries as a semi-hard/just about unbreakalbe coating. I'm not sure if you have a Wal-Mart or a K-mart, but you can buy it there.
Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.-General George Patton-

The original was called Shoo Goo, but there are several imitators including one called Sho Gloo.
It comes in an overgrown toothpaste tube. You just squeeze it onto your shoe and let it dry/cure/bond - heck, ask a chemist - trim it a bit and wear it the next morning.
The stuff is a really tough, clear siliconish, synthetic rubberish, oh heck, ask a chemist!
But it is great for repairing/resoling shoes and sandals and if you put a coat on the soles of your booties they will last twice as long. And your rigger will love you because booties are a real pain to patch.

I have to say that a properly fitting jumpsuit is really important for RW. And also one that fits your individual needs. Do you fall fast or slow? Will you be using it for 4 way mainly, or big ways?
My first 2 suits were Tony Suits, and I'm happy with them. Well made, and good customer service. But my newest suit is by Zute Sutes and it is far and away my favorite, and flies the nicest for me. I got the spandex wing with the continuous swoop chord, and it rocks! Way more control!
1st thing you need to do is have someone (either the manufacturer or a qualified dealer) measure you. Don't even attempt to take your own measurements, or have a buddy do it for you. This is so important in the fit of the suit! Then decide what you need in a suit. Booties? Fat grippers? Swoop chords? Spandex wing? Tight suit, slightly baggy? Slick fabric or higher drag? And order accordingly. I think the price and turn time between Zute Sutes and Tony is pretty comparable, as is the quality. But, I gotta tell you, I love my Zute Sute! Part of it was being able to order it directly from the person who made the suit, Jenny, (who also took the measurements and helped with fabric selection and design) and having it personally delivered when it was done. Now that's service!

Something I wrote a while back on this subject. It's long.... but hope it helps.
---
Nothing you buy will affect your freefall flying more than your jumpsuit. This is true whether you fly on your belly or on your head and makes you choice of suit one of the most important gear decisions you'll make.
Because your suit affects your flying so much and every skydiver is built a little bit differently, jumpsuits are one piece of gear that is best custom ordered. A custom suit will be built to your exact measurements and cut so you'll fall well with other jumpers.
Jumpsuit order forms ask for more and different measurements than the harness/container manufacturers do. If you aren't ordering through a local dealer (who should be able to measure you correctly), spend a little and have the measurements taken by a tailor or seamstress. While it is especially important that the measurements be correct if you are ordering a tight fitting suit, if any of a number of measurements are too short your suit could be incredibly uncomfortable!
It's very difficult to find a used suit that fits you well; it's nearly impossible to find a used suit that fits you perfectly. If your budget still insists on used, don't buy any suit unless you've had a chance to jump it (if you are buying long distance, insist on a money back guarantee in case it doesn't fit or fly the way you need).
Just like canopies and containers, there are a lot of jumpsuit manufacturers and even more different types of suits available for whatever kind of skydiving you do. And of course there are as many color and option choices available as for canopies and containers. This makes choosing and coloring your suit just as much fun as choosing and coloring your rig!
There are jumpsuits available for all types of flying. Unfortunately, the suit that is great for RW will hinder you while freeflying and vice versa, which means you'll probably need a different suit for each type of flying you do. Specialized suits are also available for CRW, freestyle, sit flying and skysurfing.
Which manufacturer to choose is another of those personal decisions. It's not a bad idea to buy the same kind of suit that most of the people you jump with have. Each manufacturer's suits look a little different so pick one that appeals to your eye as well. If your budget is an issue there are several less expensive suits on the market; call around for prices.
Be aware that options can drive up the price of the suit considerably. Just like harness/container system options, some are almost necessary while others are frills. On an RW suit booties, fat "competition" grips and grips on the inside of the legs ("inseam grips") are a requirement for serious RW jumpers and a good idea for casual belly flyers. Competition jumpers will want to add an extra set of arm grips. Knee and butt pads made from a heavier fabric (usually Cordura) will save your suit from the occasional not-so-perfect landing. Adding a pocket to any suit is a good idea. If you are in a hurry, most manufacturers offer a rush option, with some delivering in as little as 10 days.
Choosing which type of suit and fabric is a lot easier than it sounds. Different types of suits and fabrics work best for different sized and shaped skydivers. If you have a question regarding which suit is right for you, you can always call (or better yet e-mail) the manufacturers. Most have been building suits for years and can tell you quickly which of their suits will fly best on your body.
For RW if you are small and/or light you should choose a suit that fits pretty tight. You want nylon for the front of your suit and spandex on the back and forearms; all to reduce the amount of drag thus increasing your fall rate. If you are bigger and/or heavy, choose a looser fitting suit with more drag or "wing" area to slow down your fall rate. These suits are generally made of a mid-to-heavyweight cotton material, often in more than one layer. Suits designed for the more average sized jumper are usually built of a lighter weight cotton fabric and often include a spandex back.
Choose your freefly suit in much the same manner. If you are small and/or light, you'll want to get a suit built of supplex (also known as cottenfelt) with a trim cut. Average size jumpers will fly best in an all polycotton suit with a mid-range cut. Bigger and/or heavier freeflyers should look for a suit that is built of polycotton in layers and cut big. The layers provide the extra drag that they need without the thick, stiff material that would be needed to create the same amount of drag in a single layer suit.
Coloring your suit can be just as frustrating as coloring your container and canopies. You can make it easier by sticking to a simple color scheme. One bright color combined with black, white and/or silver will look good on any suit. Use the bright color on the body and black, white and/or silver as accents if you want to stand out. Use the bright color as an accent on a black, white and/or silver body for a more sedate look.
Those who jump in hot weather often choose white for the majority of their suits because it feels cooler. If you need a heavier suit for winter, consider making it mostly black or another dark color that attracts heat.
There are no rules in coloring your suit; at least one manufacturer doesn't even make you stay in the lines (DLT Designs offers a design-your-own option for an additional fee). Get some jumpsuit "coloring sheets" (you can make your own with a jumpsuit order form, a copier that reduces and a pair of scissors). Grab some crayons or markers and play with your colors until you come up with something YOU like.
Once again, be aware that any color in one fabric probably won't "match" the same color in another fabric. Making each different kind of fabric a different color will avoid the mismatch.
When you get your new suit, immediately try it on. Sit, stand, arch, squat, stand on your head, do everything that you're likely to do in freefall. Your suit shouldn't restrict your movements in any way; if it does you may need to have some alterations done. Don't jump the suit until it fits you perfectly.
If you have a good fit, make your first few skydives on the suit low pressure fun jumps. The first day of a competition is NOT the time to be putting the first jumps on a new suit! Take some time to learn how the suit flies; if this is your first bootie suit it will fly quite a bit different than what you are used to.
Read and follow the manufacturer's cleaning recommendations to get maximum life out of your suit. Never machine dry a suit with spandex; most suits regardless of material will last longer if air dried.

pull and flare,
lisa
--
What would Scooby Doo?

I got my suit from Tony suits, and I found their service to be great. I actually ordered the wrong kind. A person at my dz (who I respect) told me to get a tony suit, but witth my weight and height, they actually called me and told me I would be better off with this other suit that would fit me better. I thought that was great that they actually took a sec to think about the person's satisfaction. As far as quality, it LOOKS nice, but it is still winter here, so I haven't jumped in it.
The mind is like a parachute--it works better when it is open. JUMP.

I wish I would have known all this before I bought my suit. I got it before I even had a single AFF jump (which just shows that I have zero patience). To make it worse I got a freefly suit without even knowing what freeflying was. And I took my own measurements. Now I'm stuck with a suit I can't even jump in. I mismeasured the length of my torso, so I can't even arch in the suit. The point of the story is: GET SOMEONE ELSO TO MEASURE YOU!

Now I'm stuck with a suit I can't even jump in. I mismeasured the length of my torso, so I can't even arch in the suit

Most suit makers will be more then happy to make modifications. Call up whoever made it, ask what they'll charge to lengthen the back. Most will do it for free.
_Am

www.bevsuit.com --- IMO making the best jump suit right now. you doing competition or not? that will make a difference in gripper design. get booties, call them, they can give you options to slow down the fall rate (suplex front, cordura booties, etc). they have excellent customer service (I've always gotten repairs and alterations done in less than a week), and her delivery times aren't to bad either.

it's actaully a solvent based rubber compound, and will stick to most anything (did anyone see American Pie 2, but I digress)... if you warm it up (very carefully) it is easier to apply and will smooth out nicely. Make sure everything is clean and dry before application. if you have shoe goo on your booties and send them back to the manufacturer for repair, chances are you'll get a new bootie as Rob says, needles dont' go through it very well.

I doubt I will be doing competition RW. The tricked out competition suits are probably beyond my budget, and definitely beyond my ability, right now. My main concerns are that it fits well, doesn't fall apart after 200 jumps, gets here in six weeks or so, and has good after-sale support from the manufacturer. Emmie, I'll get measured at Square 3 at Cross Keys to make sure that I get the right numbers, thanks for the advice.
PTiger
I'm stepping through the door
And I'm floating in a most peculiar way

PS, if you live around New England you might want to call Hanne from Skydive New England, in Lebanon Maine. She does a great job on her suits. Most people from my DZ ordered their suits from her & love them. She also charges less than most other suit manufacturers, and will get you your suit in less than 3 weeks.
Emmie

I purchased my Bev suit off the rack, so I can't give my own opinion on customer service/custom orders (although she was great with other people I know), but for the 80 or so jumps I've used it on, I love it! It only needed 2 slight touch ups with a sewing machine (perhaps I'm anal), and it's held up throughout my landings, just-off-student-status skydivers taking death grips, and although it was already very tight, it held up during my added holiday weight. I have booties (which I also love) and I used the Shoe Goo that the Skydiving news magazine was talking about. Not that it applies to you (but it may to some other chica reading this), but Bev has this "Hot Bod" line which is geared towards women (that's actually what I have.) It's nice, since jumpsuits (from my experiences of trying many on) are made for men who don't have curves. Also, I chose an all-cotton jumpsuit, since I already fall not so slow. No need for a super-tight nylon one!
DRINK 'EM CUTE

I can't fully respond with my own experience YET....however, I did order a Tony Suit three days ago directly through them. You can download their jumpsuit designer program and design your own suit...it gives you a good idea of what you will get. Although you are not limited to what the software can do in terms of design.
I opted to measure myself. There is added risk in doing so, but one I had to take (time constraints). I dealt with Linda and she was pleasant and VERY helpful, particularly with measurements. I faxed her my measurements (using the order form on their website) and she immediately contacted me with concerns about how I measured. Based on the information I faxed, her experience notably said "he measured some of these wrong". She contacted me and we talked about the measurements and made the necessary adjustments. I also received great advice on fabric choices, grip sizes, etc. And she indicated that if something didn't fit right, they can make the alterations.
I'm stoked to get my suit (two weeks with half price rush delivery). The customer service thus far has been excellent. I'll post more when it arrives and talk about the fit. I would definitely recommend having someone experienced measure you though!
Matt
http://www.skydiveorange.com

another thing about jumpsuits... I ordered one AT tony suits in FL. I have a light frame, so I got nylon & a relatively close cut, but I told them to give me a l ittle extra slack so I can wear winter clothes under it...so the woman who measured me wrote "winter cut" on the form. So I went back home to Maryland and waited sometihng like 7 weeks to get it.
Well during that time I started to go back to the gym & work out. End result? The suit finally arrives. It fits OK, but: Now there's plenty of room around the waistline, but its real snug around the chest, biceps, thighs. So it's kinda restrictive if I wanna wear a fleece under it & it looks like the seams are straining. >:(
somthing to think about....
Speed Racer
"Fill your hand, you son-of-a-bitch!"

I have a Bev. I had my rigger (or is it former rigger?) measure me. I'd definitely get someone that's ordered jumpsuits before to measure you because they'll know where to keep it tight and where to get looser measurements and stuff like that. I love my jumpsuit. I think it looks good and I haven't had any problems with it. I was lucky enough to get a 25% off coupon for it so even with a couple options (leg zippers and stripes on the grippers) it still came out to under the base price. My rigger put a note on the order form that booties would be added later. He said they'd sew the legs differently so that the stitching could be removed to replace the lower legs with booties. I have no idea they really did anything differently since I haven't added booties yet. One thing I notice over and over about skydiving equipment is that there are always unwritten options available, so it's probably best to order it through someone that knows a lot about it. There were WAY more colors available than there were listed on the website too. I don't know much about lowering fall rate... mine's nylon on the front and spandex on the back to get me falling as fast as possible. I don't remember how long it took to ship, but it wasn't bad. Good luck finding the jumpsuit for you (although picking colors is the hardest part).
Dave