5.samadhi

terminal malfunction - reserve open - main container opening - rigging factors?

what rigging factors are involved with the main container opening after being partially deployed (maybe PC thrown and in tow) after the reserve opens. Does reserve packjob tightness have anything to do with this (a tighter packjob presses down on the main more locking it in place while its there only???).

main closing loop tension?

shape of main pack tray??? (different containers may be more susceptible to this???))

The recent cypres save thread got me thinking about this. Last thing I'd want to deal with is a two-out exactly after having to deal with a near terminal malfunction (PC in tow for instance).

I can tell you from my own experience that once the reserve pilot/freebag /reserve is out our the container it can 'make room' for the main to it's container. Had a pilot chute in tow, chopped it and went for silver. When I was under my reserve the main left , still it's bag. was actually hanging over my shoulder, was still connected to my rig by velcro from my RSL. Main never left the bag. The reserve leaving the container must have created additional room for the main bag to find its way out... since different rigs are just that (different) i'm sure the outcome of such mal will vary. Off course a whole lot of factors will influence what will happen (ie main canopy size /packing volume)

An interesting read is the dual parachute study published on PD's website.

http://www.performancedesigns.com/docs/dualsq.pdf

This gives a little bit more info on dual parachute situations, as well as some gear insight.

I have heard (but cannot find or cite the source, so take it for what it is unless someone verifies) that it is not necessarily the size of the parachutes, but rather the difference between the leading edges of those canopies. Again, I cannot cite this source, so don't consider it reliable.

Probably a too loose closing loop. Keep that tight. The last flap edge (with binding tape) has to overlap the second last flap edge binding tape on a Vector III but I guess it's about the same for other rigs.

Now beware of the hot and humid weather during the Summer. Your pin tension could be OK at Spring and too slack at Summer. The humidity makes parachute packing with less volume then decreasing the tension on the pin.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.