cbuffalino

Light weight jumper needs to fall FASTER!

So I'm about fifty jumps in and my flying skills are improving with every jump. However I am missing out on a lot of the action because I spend most of my jumps trying to catch up to the formations of bigger heavier jumpers. I see many of my friends of similar weight be able to get in the mix so I know my skills still need to improve but is there anything anyone can recommend so that I can improve quicker?

I am constantly pushing myself to jump with people and groups and do things out of my comfort zone which has definitely helped. And I'm also practicing chasing my friends a lot instead of being base. Any advise would help. Thanks!
Never give up on something you can't go a day without thinking about.

So I'm about fifty jumps in and my flying skills are improving with every jump. However I am missing out on a lot of the action because I spend most of my jumps trying to catch up to the formations of bigger heavier jumpers. I see many of my friends of similar weight be able to get in the mix so I know my skills still need to improve but is there anything anyone can recommend so that I can improve quicker?

I am constantly pushing myself to jump with people and groups and do things out of my comfort zone which has definitely helped. And I'm also practicing chasing my friends a lot instead of being base. Any advise would help. Thanks!

McDonalds worked for me. :P

Seriously, this would be something that you should go over with experienced people/instructors that can jump with you. It could be the suit, it could be your form, it could be your weight. Hell, it could be all of the above!

At around 100 jumps I couldn't stop a dive to a formation and would generally end up going low. I got a proper RW suit (the previous one was pretty damn tight) and haven't had a problem since. If I need to go faster, I can... If I need to go super slow (100lb girls on AFF slow), I wear more baggy clothing.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Haha thanks. Right now I like jumping in my jeans and tshirt or shorts. Still looking Into a jumpsuit. I'll definitely take this further with coaches or when I'm jumping with more experienced people like you suggested.

Pay for a coaches slot and have them do fall rate adjustment drills with you. See if you can borrow a jumpsuit from the DZ until you get your own but I'd wait another 50+ jumps until you buy a new jumpsuit because as your skills increase the fit of the jumpsuit you need will change.

Dude, you'll simply learn to flex one day. I'm 5'8" and 120lbs and I had a hell of a time when I was new. Once I learnt to REALLY arch, I can get out last in a 10 way formation, and still be the first into the base. Now I'm filming tandem video and I haven't had an issue yet. Some of them tandems get pretty cooking fast.

Now...for sit flying, I haven't mastered it yet and still have a hell of a time keeping up. The fact remains, it's all skill based. I just haven't developed it yet (and I haven't been freeflying in the last 3 years really).

You can always get a bit of weight, but don't use it as a tool to get you to he formation, use it to give you range. That means, learn to fly your body without them, then once you add them you don't have to work as hard to get down, but you are capable of it regardless.
"When once you have tasted flight..."

You said you're not wearing a jumpsuit -- are you still jumping borrowed/rental/student gear, or do you have a rig that fits you well? The more outside the "average" you are size wise the more important it is you have a jumpsuit and rig that fit well. It will make a huge difference for you. A tight fitting RW suit with nylon front, spandex back, and booties will serve you well for many years to come. Invest in one that fits well as soon as you can. Used is ok IF it fits you well.

The suggestions above about fall rate drills were also good, but you need a good fitting jumpsuit to both help your fall rate and give you consistency from jump to jump. If you wear jeans some jumps, sorts others, tight t-shirts sometimes, looser ones other times then you are constantly changing your flying surface and it will take much longer to develop good fall rate skills.

Thanks. I'll have to focus on my arch then. Any tips on developing a solid arch? Any excersized or stretches that can help drive my hips down farther?

Some people will tell you to stand next to a wall and "hump the wall"...but I never bought into that.

Truth is, some things only come with time & experience. As a 5'5" jumper who weighed 117lbs when I got off student status (& had the same issues as you), here's what I can recommend:

1. Get a good jumpsuit. Seriously. Jeans/shorts and a t-shirt cause drag. Lots of it, when you're a lightweight. Get a suit, and wear it. Get the right suit for the job. A suit that's made for RW/FS will generally be faster than wearing a freefly suit for belly jumps...but the booties won't let you freefly (& you'll want booties. Trust me). A freefly suit lets you do both belly-flying and FF...but it's going to be slightly draggier than a belly suit. Ultimately, if you do both, you'll want one of each.

2. Get to the tunnel. Getting started flying the tunnel regularly was the best thing I ever did for my fall rate. You can do fall rate drills where you have them turn the wind up to a slightly uncomfortable level, then practice flying. It'll feel awkward at first, but you'll get more and more comfortable with time. (And even if you're not doing fall rate drills, the more time you spend in the tunnel, the better your fall rate will be.) I know you don't have a tunnel in NY, but take a trip and do some time. It pays dividends.

3. Coach jumps. Like the above poster said, do some fall rate drill with a coach. Every little bit helps (although I find the tunnel to be a bit more bang for the buck for this type of training, because it allows you to really focus, without worrying about small things like deploying your canopy, checking for traffic, exiting, etc).

And lastly,

4. Get some lead. If you're a small person, there'll come a time when your body just can't do it. You can only go so fast. And that's where a good weight belt comes in.

A lot of people will tell you stories of all the people they've met who didn't need to use lead - who can 'fold in half like a taco' and fly with anyone. The people who will tell you this are almost inevitably heavier people. Take what they say with a grain of salt. (I can only give so much advice to a 200-pound person about how to fall slower. A lot of it they have to get on their own. But rarely do I ever see anyone telling them 'My friend Mark weighs 220, and he can outfloat a 97-pound girl.')

We each have a natural range of our body's fall rates. For each jump, you want to be in the middle of that fall rate - that gives you the ability to take docks & fly the formation without popping up. Lead helps move that 'sweet spot' of your fall rate to a higher speed, so you can fly the formation.

---
To sum up...

a) Find ways to extend your range (i.e., tunnel & coaching).
and
b) Find ways to move the center of your range to a higher fall rate (i.e., jumpsuit & lead).

Good luck!
Signatures are the new black.

I'm jumping my own gear that fits well (just had the harness completely redone), but yes clothing is a bit in consistent. I guess I'll be saving up for a good jumpsuit instead of having my eye on a tracking suit. Hehehe

I'm jumping my own gear that fits well (just had the harness completely redone), but yes clothing is a bit in consistent. I guess I'll be saving up for a good jumpsuit instead of having my eye on a tracking suit. Hehehe

Talk with some old fart fun jumpers at the DZ and try what they tell you for free. IMO Gotta get a tight jump suit and if the LO is putting you at the end of the exit order . Ask him/her to but you closer to the middle of the exit so you won't have to make up so much distance. At your experience level.

Look around the DZ some folks have a few jumpsuits depending on the base and their exit order.

Listen to Dave P he'll be by in a while and knows most of his stuff.

A tracking suit at your experience level[:/]

R.

A tracking suit at your experience level[:/]

R.

you're funny

Dude

Stop lurking me>:(

Keep it up and I'll post the dumb ass PM you sent me and my response.I sent to your sorry ass..

This is you one and only warning. wanna call my bluff;), make my day.B|

R.

R.

Each jumper should wear the combination of jumpsuit and/or weights to allow for the use of a medium fall rate body position to achieve a medium fall rate relative to the group.

It's pretty simple - if you are already wearing the tightest, slickest jumpsuit you can find and still can't stay down without flying in the fastest end of your range, slap on weights.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

Listen to what others have said re: getting good coaching and wearing proper gear, but if you are looking for some exercises to increase your flexibility, consider yoga. Bow, bridge, and upward facing dog are all fairly accessible back-bend poses that you can use to improve your spinal flexibility. Some info on yoga back-bends here: http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/finder/browse_categories/backbends

That link has some instructions for the poses, but going to a certified yoga instructor would be best. And certainly speak to your doctor if you currently have or have in the past suffered any neck or back pain/injuries.

Thanks for all the great insight guys. I'll give all of this a try and let you know how my next couple outings go. It will probably be a while before I can get a jumpsuit, but I'm sure I can find a decent one around the DZ to at least give me a consistent rate of fall. Any suggestions on jumpsuit brands at a decent price? Is there anything out there with removable booties?

Bev suits are pretty reasonably priced. Removable booties (in any design I have ever seen) are very pointless. To be perfectly honest with you, this sport is a lot about dressing for success. Wear the right stuff for the right jumps. I own 6 jumpsuits (including a wingsuit) and also jump in various pants/tshirt/sweatshirt combinations for tandems or bigways or whatever.

I also (at 205lbs out the door) wear weights sometimes. Gotta have the tools to make it work. If you want to do RW, get a suit with booties, if you want to do freefly, get a suit with velcro cuffs/stirrups. This stuff isn't "one suit does everything" for the most part.

Good luck :)
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

When you get a jumpsuit, the choice of materials will make a big difference. Pack cloth, a heavy weave nylon, is one of the slickest materials and very durable. Avoid cotton/poly. Get spandex sleeves instead of baggier supplex. A good suit maker can help you out. Any chance you're in West. WA?

Each jumper should wear the combination of jumpsuit and/or weights to allow for the use of a medium fall rate body position to achieve a medium fall rate relative to the group.

It's pretty simple - if you are already wearing the tightest, slickest jumpsuit you can find and still can't stay down without flying in the fastest end of your range, slap on weights.

Sure... Go ahead and recommend the sensible thing...;-)
Remster

Thanks for all the great insight guys. I'll give all of this a try and let you know how my next couple outings go. It will probably be a while before I can get a jumpsuit, but I'm sure I can find a decent one around the DZ to at least give me a consistent rate of fall. Any suggestions on jumpsuit brands at a decent price? Is there anything out there with removable booties?

I was shopping for a suit recently. Flightsuits had a leg zipper option "hide a bootie" (as I recall) that allowed you to fold the bootie inside the leg cuff, zip the leg zipper, and it be properly retained.

The first time I jumped my new Bev, I folded the booties inside the legs and put a strap around my ankle. I am sure you can do that with about any suit, if you want to work your way into jumping with booties.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

When you get a jumpsuit, the choice of materials will make a big difference. Pack cloth, a heavy weave nylon, is one of the slickest materials and very durable. Avoid cotton/poly. Get spandex sleeves instead of baggier supplex. A good suit maker can help you out. Any chance you're in West. WA?

I'm in New York. Hoping to make it out West to jump in California over the winter.

I can recommend a decent suit. I am 6'3 and 75Kg (guessing 150-160lbs), in student gear I fall like a leave, and had to fast fall or wear weight to keep up with most rounder ;) people. I don't want to wear lead, so I bought a tight fitting, low porosity suit. I now practice my slow fall a lot. ;) seriously, I went from 95mph to 135mph, just by changing suit. The first time I jumped it with other people was quiet a surprise.

I can recommend a decent suit. I am 6'3 and 75Kg (guessing 150-160lbs), in student gear I fall like a leave, and had to fast fall or wear weight to keep up with most rounder ;) people. I don't want to wear lead, so I bought a tight fitting, low porosity suit. I now practice my slow fall a lot. ;) seriously, I went from 95mph to 135mph, just by changing suit. The first time I jumped it with other people was quiet a surprise.

Wow that's a huge difference! I need to borrow a digital alti to see how fast I'm going. So what suit did you wind up getting?

not sure if you lot are taking the piss, but....

in student gear, wearing a baggy "normal" material suit I was falling at around the 95mph mark.

I didnt want to wear lead, so I bought a Symbiosis LOPO, which is Nylon Taffeta fronted, with spandex arms and generally a tight fit.

My fall rate is now in the 130's.