Jimbo

Basic Rigging Info Online?

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a site or sites with very basic rigging info or documentation. Specifically, I'm looking for descriptions of a few of the more simple things like how to attach toggles, set brakes, etc.. Things that a regular jumper should be able to do without the assistance (and bill) of a rigger.
-
Jim

Search websites of manufacturers, like Performance Designs. They are all neatly listed on the www.pia.com website under yellow pages.
A caution: since it takes forever to update manuals, many contain out-of-date information (such as how to tie Dacron steering lines).
You would be wise asking a rigger to look over your shoulder the first time you do any rigging job, because you will not survive all your mistakes.

Thanks Rob.
I had my rigger show me how to set the brakes over the weekend and it's simple enough that I'm comfortable doing it myself. Since I can't have him standing over me while I do this I was hoping to have another source of documentation to double check my work against. Well, that and I find rigging interesting anyhow so it would be nice to learn more about it...
-
Jim

Go to Dan Poynter's "Para-Publishing" website, buy all his books, read them cover-to-cover, then attend a riggers' course, like the ones Dave DeWolf gives over the winter.
Then you will end up like me: acing your riggers' course, even though you are a few pack jobs short.
Then you can live like me, sleeping in a VW van parked at the DZ, rigging Monday to Friday and doing tandems on the weekends, etc.
Wow!
Flashback man!
Must have been the Grateful Dead stickers in the van!

My Westfalia has the large fibreglas top hinged at the rear. Since the canvas rotted out, I never bothered to open it. But I have a new canvas and will probably replace it this winter.
The original stove burned out, so mine had an aftermarket, two-burner butane camping stove.
The ice box was a nuisance because I was too lazy to replace the ice every couple of days.
The spark plug threads were great, but the engine has other problems. At 100,000 miles, it dropped a valve seat and I ended up buying an overhauled engine.
At 160,000 miles, bearings and brushes wore out in the alternator. I finally found a decent used alternator and will install it next week. Have you checked the prices VW dealers want for new alternators? Can you say "rape, pillage and plunder?"
My greatest headaches with this bus have been with the 1975 fuel injection system. The problem is that a brass contact in the airbox wears out every once in a while. The solution is ridiculously simple: just rebend the spring with your fingers! But it took me a lot of dollars and scratching my head at the side of the road before an old bug nut showed me the solution.
Despite all those trials and tribulations, I still love my Westfalia. "The Great Pumpkin" is by far my best investment. During the year and a half that I lived in her, I said "f-you" to all the capitalist real estate agents and managed to pay off all my debts.
The parachute rigger courses you are looking for are advertised in the back of SKYDIVING Magazine this time of year. Dave DeWolf's course is in January in Pennsylvania. Kathy Schlater gives her course a few weeks later in Indiana?
And Tom Dolphin is somewhere in Florida or the Carolinas.
Rigging courses other times of the year are given by Action Air in Davis, California and Rigging Innovations (aka. American School of Parachute Rigging) in Eloy, Arizona.

in response to "out of date material"....
yeah, I picked up a demo velocity from PD yesterday. Of course, the letter they give you says to read the owners manual. Well, there it is -- a hot-off-the-press "ram-air parachute owners manual" with a picture of the first "hot" parachute on the front - a Sabre... to funny (this thing dates back to the first Racer SST). you'd think that PD sould update that ting with real pictures and the like.

...always stayed away from the old vw fuel injection-lol
just sold my pride and joy 69 bug to move to texas - 71 too
check out http://www.motorworks.com thier prices are not the cheapest, but they have a lifetime warranty on thier parts and they have it all - free catalogs too.
you can also find lots of dealers in vwtrends and hotvw magazines a hell of alot cheaper than a VW dealership.
One VW dealer I used to work for got thier old vw parts from the same types of aftermarket dealers and added the standard dealership markup ;) I assume most of them do - its faster. but this is a rigging forum-lol
Are the costs involved in all these courses nearly the same?
http://www.15meu.usmc.mil/:)

Ummmm......guys, if each of us posts just one or two "interesting" things about VWs or whatever, pretty soon people who really only want to find gear and rigging related posts, will stop coming here. OK, OK...we can't be all business and no fun, but just be aware and courteous. Thanks
alan