old_timer

Glasses

I know of two jumpers that have gotten in the sport of skydiving and refuse to wear Glasses or contacts when they jump! What is with that! Both are woman... Sorry people if you need glasses to drive you need glasses to skydive! Suck it up! This is not a fastion show it is a skydive! I don't give a rats ass if you don't look good in glasses. I wear mine you wear yours!!!

Whats their excuse for not using contacts if not using glasses? I can understand not wanting to wear glasses, I got contacts just for skydiving after my FJC and only use them for skydiving, but refusing to also use contacts sounds odd.
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

totally depends on their script.
I can't operate without mine but i know many many people who can operate quite effectively without them.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I saw a student cut away a perfectly good canopy once. Her excuse was that she had astigmatism and could not see the canopy. Wrong thing to say to an eye doctor B| No matter how near/far/astigmatically sighted a person is, a striped canopy looks and feels very different than a blue sky.

I also don't understand the lack of eyewear in some people. It decreases depth perception and visual reaction time to not have 100% correction, so why compromise on safety even a little bit? Not worth it.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

That's why I got LASIK...now I don't need either! Still gotta wait another 2 weeks for them to get settled in.

Hope you never get punched or hit in the eye in FF, or have an airbag deploy... or it's goodbye corneal flap. Even decades down the road. That's why I won't do it. PRK is infinitely safter and what I recommend for skydivers or others in very active lifestyles.

Not true! I had LASIK 5 yrs ago. Have been in some combat zoo dives, jumped without goggles, am a tandem instructor (we get hit in the head often in freefall and on opening) am a "swooper" as well and had a few crashes.

I have had zero problems with my eyes!

Where/Who told you this about LASIK?

Not true! I had LASIK 5 yrs ago. Have been in some combat zoo dives, jumped without goggles, am a tandem instructor (we get hit in the head often in freefall and on opening) am a "swooper" as well and had a few crashes.

I got PRK eight days ago, I went in and requested it (they told me I was a great candidate for lasik), my doctor also told me that me recommends PRK for those in contact sports.

Just cause it hasn't happened doesn't mean it can't/won't happen and I go with the prepare for the worst scenario.

That's why I got LASIK...now I don't need either! Still gotta wait another 2 weeks for them to get settled in.

Hope you never get punched or hit in the eye in FF, or have an airbag deploy... or it's goodbye corneal flap. Even decades down the road. That's why I won't do it. PRK is infinitely safter and what I recommend for skydivers or others in very active lifestyles.

Theres not a lot of value in sharing this opinion with someone thats already had the procedure. :|
__

My mighty steed

Theres not a lot of value in sharing this opinion with someone thats already had the procedure. :|

Is this the only person reading this forum? Probably not. Which is why I posted it.

LOL!!!!!! I am an eye doctor, so my data comes from the primary medical literature. A minimum of 18 years after surgery, the flap can be displaced. Since LASIK is still fairly new, that's all the data that is available at the moment.

If you want to play Monopoly in the middle of the highway, you may not get run over right off the bat, but eventually it will bite you in the ass. Why you'd be so blantantly stupid with your eyes is beyond me, but your problem. Jumping without goggles???? I saw a bug smeared across my husband's face and goggles after a jump once. Good way to lose an eye entirely. Good luck with that. Just don't be advising other people to play the same Russian Roulette that you feel comfortable doing.

Edited to add: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0886335007006220 might be worth your reading time. This is by a long shot not the only case. It doesn't happen a lot, but it does happen.

Hope you never get punched or hit in the eye in FF, or have an airbag deploy... or it's goodbye corneal flap

I was responding to this ^, you are stating it as a fact, which is isn't. I am going by 5yrs and almost 2000 jumps worth of experience.

No I don't jump regularly without goggles, but have due to student not have them(my fault) or some "new guy" on the plane not having theirs and being scared to go without.

I can't say anything about an airbag, as I've never had to use one. I have however been in some toughman contest and been punched in the head and face with no problems.

I respect your knowledge and books, I just don't think you should make a sweeping statment like this.

Hope you never get punched or hit in the eye in FF, or have an airbag deploy... or it's goodbye corneal flap

I was responding to this ^, you are stating it as a fact, which is isn't. I am going by 5yrs and almost 2000 jumps worth of experience.

No I don't jump regularly without goggles, but have due to student not have them(my fault) or some "new guy" on the plane not having theirs and being scared to go without.

I can't say anything about an airbag, as I've never had to use one. I have however been in some toughman contest and been punched in the head and face with no problems.

I respect your knowledge and books, I just don't think you should make a sweeping statment like this.

While your one case has not had an incident, there is plenty of evidence to support her statement that the flap is weaker and subject to displacement.

The biggest problem here is that you don't realize how stupid you sound arguing with the eye doctor about the risk to your eyes after eye surgery.

Her "sweeping statement" while harsh - is completely correct. It may not have happened to you yet. I hope it never does. However, the corneal flap is higher risk for people in contact sports.

This is exactly why I very rarely post on the forums. I apologize for contradicting the eye doctor.

I will quit skydiving and all other contact sports this instant! I think everyone else on the forums should follow my lead, if you have had eye surgery STOP JUMPING IMMEDIATELY!!

Also, make sure you don't drive a car without your seatbelt, because you WILL die.

Don't drink a beer, because you WILL become an alcoholic

Don't eat any rare beef, because you WILL get MAD cow

And last but not least, DO NOT have unprotected sex because you WILL either get pregnant/ get someone pregnant AND get an STD

don't bother replying....... I'm done with this thread!!

I also don't understand the lack of eyewear in some people. It decreases depth perception and visual reaction time to not have 100% correction, so why compromise on safety even a little bit? Not worth it.

I have tried skydiving with and without my glasses. I found that bifocals are not exactly helpful as I approach the ground. My eyes are not real bad and I am safer without them.
POPS #10623; SOS #1672

The opinion of an eye doctor is all I need.

No LASIK for me.

LOL!!!!!! I am an eye doctor, so my data comes from the primary medical literature. A minimum of 18 years after surgery, the flap can be displaced. Since LASIK is still fairly new, that's all the data that is available at the moment.

If you want to play Monopoly in the middle of the highway, you may not get run over right off the bat, but eventually it will bite you in the ass. Why you'd be so blantantly stupid with your eyes is beyond me, but your problem. Jumping without goggles???? I saw a bug smeared across my husband's face and goggles after a jump once. Good way to lose an eye entirely. Good luck with that. Just don't be advising other people to play the same Russian Roulette that you feel comfortable doing.

Edited to add: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0886335007006220 might be worth your reading time. This is by a long shot not the only case. It doesn't happen a lot, but it does happen.

I have tried skydiving with and without my glasses. I found that bifocals are not exactly helpful as I approach the ground. My eyes are not real bad and I am safer without them.

I haven't tried jumping without my glasses, but I can tell you that the wind sock is just a blob when looking at it through my bifocals anywhere from 1000 to 4000 feet away. It gets really exciting to land downwind with even a little wind!
I'm a jumper. Even though I don't always have money for jumps, and may not ever own a rig again, I'll always be a jumper.

I haven't tried jumping without my glasses, but I can tell you that the wind sock is just a blob when looking at it through my bifocals anywhere from 1000 to 4000 feet away. It gets really exciting to land downwind with even a little wind!

Try landing off the DZ trying to guess where the pwr lines are, Fences line's etc. They don't always follow the roads.:o

Try landing off the DZ trying to guess where the pwr lines are, Fences line's etc. They don't always follow the roads.:o

So true...
I'm a jumper. Even though I don't always have money for jumps, and may not ever own a rig again, I'll always be a jumper.

I had LASEK (very similar to PRK) and really enjoy not having to wear glasses during freefall.

However, as a student, lost both contact lenses at 8,000 in the middle of a track. My goggles, which I thought were tight enough, were fine until the angle/speed of the track allowed the wind to blow them out of my face. Luckily, it's not hard to find the three square patches of grass in Eloy, Arizona, so I was able to land just fine.

What did I learn?

Full face helmets may be a great option for jumpers with glasses and may be worth considering if you have contact lenses. Obviously, practice your dive and EPs on the ground with the helmet on before you switch helmets. I know there are goggles out there for wearing over glasses, but I found the full face + glasses combo far more enjoyable.

I would go as far as to say someone who had LASIK may get piece of mind out of the extra eye protection afforded by a full face.

And if you wear contacts or glasses, it might not hurt to put a spare pare of glasses in your jump suit.

I know of two jumpers that have gotten in the sport of skydiving and refuse to wear Glasses or contacts when they jump! What is with that! Both are woman... Sorry people if you need glasses to drive you need glasses to skydive! Suck it up! This is not a fashion show it is a skydive! I don't give a rats ass if you don't look good in glasses. I wear mine you wear yours!!!

Well 'Old Timer'...

After reading your post I got to thinking~

I had RK 20 years ago which brought my peepers in to 20/20.

Never lost another contact in free-fall, no more nose pinch from glasses...cost me all of 5 bucks with my work insurance coverage!

Went to the eye doc yesterday...hadn't been for a while, I see fine! B|

NOT!! :(

Appointment over & doc says...YOU DRIVE seeing like that?! :S

'NEW' glasses will be here in ten days...:|

Thanks for the heads up fellow 'OLD GUY'! ;)

Edited to add:
Yeah I ordered custom 'script goggles too, who the hell KNOWS what I've been missing out there?! :ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I have RX sunglasses I wear with my fullface, and have contacts+well fitting goggles I can wear with my open face.

One note for people looking to jump glasses and a fullface. Make sure you try on the helmet with the glasses you intend to jump! I had an issue the first time with my glasses that their shape was too wide when the shield was down - they ended up digging into my nose and bending down lifting off my ears. Also, make sure the temples aren't too wide so that when you put on the helmet, the temples aren't digging into the side of your head, or bending the glasses themselves.

I bought my glasses first, since I need them to see, and found a helmet or other solution that worked. If someone wants to buy a helmet first, make sure you bring it when you buy your glasses to make sure they are going to fit properly.

Another quick note, everyone know's these helmets are tight. I have to take my sunglasses off through the face shield to take my helmet on and off. Just make sure you don't forget where you put them, or have a safe spot in the plane to rest them where they won't fall/get stepped on.